[comp.dcom.telecom] Fire Hazards of Dial Light Transformers

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0326m09@vector.dallas.tx.us> macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy
Hallock) writes:
> Rumor had it that more than one residence burned
> to the ground due to shorted dial light transformers !

	This is more than a rumor - it's true!

	Several years ago there was a "recall" notice about dial light
transformers which appeared in major newspapers.  The notice advised
subscribers how to identify the transformer, and even had a full-size
outline diagram to compare against the transformer.  As far as I can
recall, the offending transformer was NOT the familiar 2012A, but was
a KS-spec equivalent which had a somewhat larger "footprint" - closer
to the 85-type transformer in size.

	The 2012A and 2012B (18-volt version for speakerphones, repertory
dialers and other accessories) were rather carefully engineered to undergo
magnetic saturation upon short circuit, thereby limiting current to a safe
level (not much more than 1 amp RMS), while limiting copper heat loss in
the transformer to "safe" temperature levels.  In addition, there is enough
current-carrying capacity in station wiring (including the tinsel conductors
of a station or handset cord) so that at least 1 ampere of current can be
carried without any significant heating effect.

	So, the point is, I don't believe that the 2012A was the "offender'.
Newer transformers become "cheaper", and therein lies the problem.  As an
example, the 2012D (an 18 volt transformer) is a real piece of crap; not
only does it not have the protective potting of its 2012B predecessor, but
even the AC power plug prongs are loose.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/     \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"