[comp.dcom.telecom] Some OCC's Do Get ANI Reports

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (09/01/89)

In a message submitted a couple days ago, Rick Adams of UUNET pointed out
that his billings from Sprint do generally include the calling phone number
when the calls came in on the 800 lines at his office.

My original message had said that AT&T got that information, but the OCC's
had to 'struggle' to get it at times. He took exception to the use of the
word 'struggle', saying the OCC's depended on the local telcos to provide
it. Apparently Sprint has good luck obtaining this information from what
he said in his message.

On the other hand, TELECOM USA (provider of my residential 800 service)
says they have a very hard time obtaining it. Of course, I only pay a $2.45
per month service fee plus call charges. Maybe if I paid more they could
somehow 'find a way' to get it as Mr. Adams says Sprint is able to do.

Patrick Townson

laba-2ac@e260-2e.berkeley.edu (Robert Gutierrez) (09/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0340m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>In a message submitted a couple days ago, Rick Adams of UUNET pointed out
>that his billings from Sprint do generally include the calling phone number
>when the calls came in on the 800 lines at his office.

>My original message had said that AT&T got that information, but the OCC's
>had to 'struggle' to get it at times. He took exception to the use of the
>word 'struggle', saying the OCC's depended on the local telcos to provide
>it. Apparently Sprint has good luck obtaining this information from what
>he said in his message.

All the major L.D. carriers who provide 800 service get the number on their
FGD (directs) or FGB (tandem) lines. Like I said in a previous posting, the
only time the carrier doesn't get the ANI is on FGC trunks (non-converted
end-offices) or ANI failures from converted end-offices (very rare). ANI
failed calls, though blocked for normal L.D. calls, are accepted by the
carrier since it's the customer who is paying for the call anyway.

>On the other hand, TELECOM USA (provider of my residential 800 service)
>says they have a very hard time obtaining it. Of course, I only pay a $2.45
>per month service fee plus call charges. Maybe if I paid more they could
>somehow 'find a way' to get it as Mr. Adams says Sprint is able to do.

Resellers, like TELECOM-USA, won't because it would cost them money to
process the bills they get from MCI/Sprint/et al, and also wouldn't be
able to bill you timely (I.E.: Get their money ASAP from you). Since
the reseller's business is to make a profit to the small-market customer, I
doubt they will be providing ANI to customers soon, since it would cost THEM
money.

     Robert Gutierrez
     <ranma@cup.portal;.com> from a borrowed account.
     ****IF YOU REPLY TO THIS ACCOUNT make the Subject: "c/o Ranma"****

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
laba-2ac@web.berkeley.edu	Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!

jimmy@icjapan.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (09/04/89)

(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
>Apparently Sprint has good luck obtaining this information from what
>he said in his message.

>On the other hand, TELECOM USA (provider of my residential 800 service)
>says they have a very hard time obtaining it.

Every carrier gets the calling number (at least from equal-access
offices) through Feature Group D access.  I would say that it is just
what they decide to print on their (800) bills that is different.

--
                         Jim Gottlieb (remote from Tokyo)