[comp.dcom.telecom] Any Interest In a Newsgroup For Discussion on Intelligent Network

anthony@uunet.uu.net (Anthony Lee) (08/30/89)

I am new to this newsgroup and I was wondering if anyone out there would
be interested in creating a newsgroup for discussion on Intelligent Networks
and Supplementary Services.  I previously posted articles on the subject
and I have response from about three people.  There might be others
who are interested but didn't get around to answering my questions.

[Note to the moderator:  I don't know anything about setting up a newsgroup
or what it might cost.  I don't even know if a newsgroup were to be setup
whether my department (at the University of Queensland) will import it.

Anthony Lee (Humble PhD student) (alias Doctor(Time Lord))
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:(+617) 3712651
Internet: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au	    (+617) 3774139 (w)
SNAIL: 243 Carmody Rd, St Lucia, Queensland 4067, Australia

[Moderator's Note: Normally, a new newsgroup is started by first placing
an announcement in 'news.groups' giving a 'Call for Discussion' with the
stated topic being your desire to begin a new news group. Typically there
will be a month or so of discussion, and in the past, this was followed
by a period of voting. I understand the procedure may be changing somewhat.
The assumption would be that the person who called for the new group would
have already made arrangements with his site, at least, to carry it.

But you may find that attempts to establish new groups relating to discussion
of telecom related -- even in a peripheral way -- material meet with some
resistance from users here who prefer to see all such postings kept in this
group, since they subscribe to the list, but cannot read Usenet. And, honestly
Anthony, you are quite welcome to stick around. There are many on Usenet
who feel 'there are already too many groups' who would also resist. Stick
around and present your comments here for awhile, okay?   PT]

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (09/05/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0333m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> anthony%batserver.cs.uq.
OZ@uunet.uu.net writes:

>I am new to this newsgroup and I was wondering if anyone out there would
>be interested in creating a newsgroup for discussion on Intelligent Networks
>and Supplementary Services.  I previously posted articles on the subject
>and I have response from about three people.  There might be others
>who are interested but didn't get around to answering my questions.

I would be happy to discuss IN with you.  We manufacture a telephony based
network management system here at Linton Technology.  I try to keep up on what
is happening in the areas you mentioned.  I would be all for a new group on
this but doubt you'll get anywhere.  So if you're looking for people who are
interested in discussing these things put my name on the list.

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp
180 Columbia Street West                            (soon)  vances@xenitec.uucp
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA                                                      tel:  (519)746-4460
N2L 3L3                                                     fax:  (519)746-6884
# if it ain't got an interface it ain't much use!                 #