[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone Problems With Modem

darren@uunet.uu.net (Darren Wyatt Williams) (09/05/89)

Fellow hackers,

          I have just purchased a netcomm 1234 automodem and have had
the appropriate telephone line installed. The modem is connected to a
standard IBM-compatible PC running Mirror II communications software.
The problem I have arises when communicating via the modem while the
phone is attached in the handset socket. No problems occur for about
10 to 15 minutes, after which the screen begins to fill with garbage.
I tried out older telephones and found no problems, so the problem
seems to be a fallacy of the new telecom telephones.
          Can anyone suggest a reason for this problem and a possible
solution. Any suggestions are welcome.

       Thanks in advance,

         Darren@murdu.melb.edu

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (09/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0346m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> munnari!murdu.ucs.unimelb.
EDU.au!darren@uunet.uu.net (Darren Wyatt Williams) writes:

>The problem I have arises when communicating via the modem while the
>phone is attached in the handset socket. No problems occur for about

Do you mean that you have plugged your telephone itself into the modem, in
it's jack labeled 'phone'?  I assume you do.

>10 to 15 minutes, after which the screen begins to fill with garbage.
>I tried out older telephones and found no problems, so the problem
>seems to be a fallacy of the new telecom telephones.

By 'new telecom' I assume you mean an electronic key telephone attached to
a business type telephone switching system (a PBX or Key System).

>          Can anyone suggest a reason for this problem and a possible
>solution. Any suggestions are welcome.

If my assumptions are correct the problem could be power related.  Electronic
telephones generally derive their power (for their basic functions anyway)
from the lines.  Usually the phone has two pairs of wires feeding it; one
pair that carries the audio and one which carries the 'data' signalling to
run the set.  The power (probably -24 volts) is across the pairs.  There is no
potential between wires in a pair, but between a wire from the voice pair and
a wire from the data pair you should be able to measure a voltage (24V).

You may have a problem in the modem that is affecting this power transmission.
One thing that comes to mind is 'A & A1 control'.  This is something that most
Hayes compatibles do if you turn it on, and it simply provides a short on the
second pair to signal a key telephone system whenever the modem is off hook.
Another thing that would cause a problem is the disconnection of the set (the
one plugged into the modem) when the modem is in use.  This happens on some
modems.

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp
180 Columbia Street West                            (soon)  vances@xenitec.uucp
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA                                                      tel:  (519)746-4460
N2L 3L3                                                     fax:  (519)746-6884
# if it ain't got an interface it ain't much use!                             #