[comp.dcom.telecom] Patty Explains the Bell System Corporate Structure

winter@apple.com (Patty Winter) (09/08/89)

Patrick Townson writes:
>[Moderator's Note: Does anyone remember seeing that issue of Teleconnect
>Magazine (Harry Newton and Company's nice publication) several years ago
>at the time of divestiture when as an April Fool's joke they published
>a bogus map of the 'Bell Operating Companies' and had the entity in the
>southern part of Texas marked off as 'Taco Bell'?  :) :)    Ciao!   PT]

I've been waiting for someone who knows the whole list to respond
to Patrick's note, but since no one has, I asked a friend at Bellcore
to tell me all the ones he remembered. Here's his reply:

>Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 18:08:47 EDT
>From: karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn)

>Here's the list as I remember it:

>Pacific Telesis - Tinker Bell
>Bell Atlantic - Liberty Bell
>Bell South - Southern Belle (there actually is a Southern Bell)
>NYNEX - Yankee Bell
>Southwestern Bell - Taco Bell
>US West - can't remember
>Ameritech - Cow Bell

"Yankee Bell" doesn't make sense to me because it isn't a pun like the others,
but maybe that's the best anyone could think of.

I'm also reminded of the article by Paul Shuch in _QST_ a few years ago in
which he defined the tacobel (tB) as being the accepted designation for a
unit of lunchtime. :-)

Patty
Patty Winter N6BIS                        INTERNET: winter@apple.com
AMPR.ORG: [44.4.0.44]                     UUCP: {decwrl,nsc,sun}!apple!winter