[comp.dcom.telecom] RTD TLAs

roy%phri@uunet.uu.net (Roy Smith) (09/05/89)

> All the major L.D. carriers who provide 800 service get the number on their
> FGD (directs) or FGB (tandem) lines. Like I said in a previous posting, the
> only time the carrier doesn't get the ANI is on FGC trunks

	Time out!  I'm usually able to follow the jargonspeak on telecom,
but I think I gotta call for help on this one.  I've figured out that FGX
is, I'm pretty sure, Feature Group X, but can somebody tell me what those
feature groups mean?  For example, we've got an AT&T System 25 PBX (or is
PBX an outdated term?).  Presumably the switching machinery at NYTel talks
to our PBX over the trunk lines to tell it which extension to ring, and our
PBX tells the NYTel gear that the call went through, or it's busy, etc.
Does that mean our trunks have feature group something-or-other?

	And, what about ANI?  Automatic Number Information?  Just a guess.
What does it really mean (i.e. what do the letter stand for, and what does
it mean in terms of information transmitted)?

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (09/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0350m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, roy%phri@uunet.uu.net
(Roy Smith) writes:
> > All the major L.D. carriers who provide 800 service get the number on their
> > FGD (directs) or FGB (tandem) lines. Like I said in a previous posting, the
> > only time the carrier doesn't get the ANI is on FGC trunks

> 	Time out!  I'm usually able to follow the jargonspeak on telecom,
> but I think I gotta call for help on this one.  I've figured out that FGX
> is, I'm pretty sure, Feature Group X, but can somebody tell me what those
> feature groups mean?

Feature Group (whatever) are various kinds of Interexchange Carrier
access arrangements.  To quote from my favorite source, "Notes on the
BOC Intra-LATA Networks"... (from this day forward to be referred to as
"Notes"):

Feature Group A:

Line-side originating and terminating LATA access for which an
originating subscriber dials an assigned telephone number that connects
to a specific IC.  The IC returns a tone to signal the caller to input
additional tone-generated digits of the dialed number.  [In English:
The IC has a box with a bunch of subscriber lines at each Point of
Termination.  You call this box to get access to the IC network.]

Feature Group B:

Trunk-side originating and terminating LATA access for which an
originating subscriber dials 950-WXXX, (where W = 0,1 and XXX is the
Carrier Access Code), which is translated to a specified XXX carrier
trunk group.  Optional rotary dial service and ANI may be available.
[In English:  The IC has a box with a dedicated trunk group at each PoT.
You dial 950-WXXX and the switch translates this to the appropriate
trunk group, giving you access to the IC network.  Used where/when the
switch hardware/software is/was unable to provide 10XXX translation.]

Feature Group C:

Trunk side LATA access for AT&T Communications, generally, on a direct
basis between each EO and an AT&T switching system.  [Replaced by FGD in
most places; I honestly don't know how it worked or what the details of
it were.]

Feature Group D:

Also referred to as "Equal Access", Feature Group D is trunk-side LATA
access affording call supervision to an IC, a uniform access code
(10XXX), optional calling-party identification, recording of
access-charge billing details, and presubscription to a
customer-specified IC.  [In English: Presubscription or 10XXX dialing.]

>  For example, we've got an AT&T System 25 PBX (or is
> PBX an outdated term?).

Nope, it's still correct.

> Presumably the switching machinery at NYTel talks
> to our PBX over the trunk lines to tell it which extension to ring, and our
> PBX tells the NYTel gear that the call went through, or it's busy, etc.
> Does that mean our trunks have feature group something-or-other?

No, Feature Groups are solely for exchange access -- generally by ICs,
but also potentially usable by information providers or other parties.

> 	And, what about ANI?  Automatic Number Information?  Just a guess.
> What does it really mean (i.e. what do the letter stand for, and what does
> it mean in terms of information transmitted)?

Yep, ANI = Automatic Number Identification.  Sent by the originating end
office to the IC, used for billing purposes as well as other features.
NPA-NXX-XXXX.
--
David G Lewis				...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej

			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."