[comp.dcom.telecom] Putting A Call On Hold

howell@soleast.solbourne.com (Bob Howell) (08/30/89)

This has probably been discussed before, but I am new to reading news and I
need some information.

I have quite a few phones in my large house.  I need to be able to answer a
call, put it on hold, hang up, walk to another part of the house, pick up a
different phone and resume the conversation.  A couple years ago I had a
device from AT&T that plugged into the 110 line voltage and into a phone jack
and allowed a call to be put on hold using the flash-hook.  It did the job
just fine, but eventually stopped working.  My local AT&T phone store said
they used to sell these devices but they do not have them as a product anymore,
so I could not to get another one.  I also had a similar device from DAK which
only plugged into the phone line, but it would not work with Call Waiting so
I returned it.  The AT&T device worked fine with Call Waiting, and, if I
remember right, even sounded a distinct tone when the call was put on hold.

Does anyone know where I can get a device like this from either AT&T or
otherwise?  I know you can buy phones that have hold buttons, but I don't
really want to replace all the phones in my house with new ones.  Thanks.

Bob Howell 			howell@solbourne.com
Solbourne Computer, Inc.  	...!{boulder,sun}!stan!howell
(617) 273-3313 			howell%stan@boulder.colorado.edu

clark@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Roger Clark Swann) (09/08/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0333m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, howell@soleast.
solbourne.com (Bob Howell) writes:

>                               ....  A couple years ago I had a
> device from AT&T that plugged into the 110 line voltage and into a phone jack
> and allowed a call to be put on hold using the flash-hook.  It did the job
> just fine, but eventually stopped working.
	I have one of these devices in my junk box. It has a Sears
	label, but sounds like the same device. I could never make
	the thing work that well. It would put the line on hold even
	when I didn't want it held... And I think it didn't always
	release the line right away.
> .................................  I also had a similar device from DAK which
> only plugged into the phone line, but it would not work with Call Waiting so
> I returned it.

	Same story here.

> Does anyone know where I can get a device like this from either AT&T or
> otherwise?  I know you can buy phones that have hold buttons, but I don't
> really want to replace all the phones in my house with new ones.  Thanks.

> Bob Howell 			howell@solbourne.com
> Solbourne Computer, Inc.  	...!{boulder,sun}!stan!howell
> (617) 273-3313 			howell%stan@boulder.colorado.edu

	I had my service changed to _single line_ CENTREX with hold
	and three way calling for $5 extra per month. US West said
	that the CENTREX service was the ONLY was to get _hard hold_
	( to engage hold: flash and hit *9, hang-up. The phone will
	start ringing after a few seconds, so one can walk to
	another phone and resume the conversation by just going off
	hook again ). This feature is NOT available is part of the
	the regular residential feature group that US West markets as
	TeleChoice. ( like features are cheaper when purchased under
	the TeleChoice plan than under the CENTREX ). I am sure
	there is no difference at the CO, just the marketing and
	tariffs, etc. I really enjoy having both the three-way
	calling and the hold, but the charges are a little steep, I
	think. After all, my service is measured and if I originate
	both sides of a three-way call, I get charged double the
	rate for the duration of the call. In reply to Patrick's
	comments a few weeks back on whether it was better to have
	special equipment on site or pay the local OC for various
	services, for the long term it sure seems better from my
	point of view to go the buy route.  My one Panasonic phone
	with built in hold works great.  However, it would take
	awhile to pay back the purchase of several new phones with
	hold at the rate of $30 per year, ($2.50 for hold, for 12
	months). One further comment, it seems that US West is
	behind most of the other LOC's in providing the newer
	features of CLASS and Touch*Star ( or whatever it is that
	Patrick keep talking about :-). US West just keeps pushing
	the old standard speed calling, call waiting, 3-way calling
	under a new marketing package. There was a news story I saw
	over a year ago where a US West spokes person was asked
	about the newer features such as caller ID, call block, call
	trace, selective forward and so on. The person replied that
	US West was looking into the features but that they didn't
	think they were viable in today's market place....
	> OoooK... <

    Roger Swann               |    uucp:  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark
         @                    |
The Boeing Company            |

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (09/10/89)

ssc-vax!clark@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Roger Clark Swann) writes:
> There was a news story I saw over a year ago where a US West spokes person
> was asked about the newer features such as caller ID, call block, call
> trace, selective forward and so on. The person replied that US West was
> looking into the features but that they didn't think they were viable in
> today's market place....  > OoooK... <

US West is one of the greatest impediments to the modernization of the
phone system.  While the rest of the country is moving forward with a new
set of standards (ESF framing, B8ZS line coding, etc.), US West is digging
in their heels trying to maintain their investment in obsolete equipment.

If you ever try to get a piece of T1 equipment into the US West area, you
will come up against a strange beast called ZBTSI.  This non-solution
addresses the issue that a T1 line conveys the timing in the data, and data
is represented by pulses.  Long strings of zeros mean long intervals with
no pulses, and the repeaters can lose track of the timing.  The preferred
solution is to use a line coding technique called B8ZS which replaces
eight consecutive zeros with a special code word containing a pulse pattern
which does not occur in normal traffic.  The receiving equipment recognizes
this code word and restores the eight zeros.  Older equipment not only
lacks the ability to support B8ZS encoding, but goes so far as to munge
it beyond recognition.

The US West non-solution is a technique called ZBTSI which pre-empts the
T1 facilities data link, normally used for network control and status
monitoring, and requires storage and processing of the data on a frame
by frame basis.  This kludge is totally incompatible with existing standards
and future ISDN capabilities, impedes the ability to do useful things
with the facilities data link, and reduces call quality by introducing
significant processing delays.

The spokesman is right, these advanced calling features aren't viable.
But it isn't because of any lack of demand, it's due to obsolete network
equipment.

(It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway:  these are just my
personal opinions.)

--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
Someday the whole country will be one big "Metroplex" - Zippy's friend Griffy