[comp.dcom.telecom] Internet Gateways to Commercial Networks

langz@asylum.sf.ca.us (Lang Zerner) (09/04/89)

In past postings to the Digest, I recall there has been mention of addressing
syntax for sending mail to users of various commercial info services such as
Compuserve.  Naturally, I didn't bother jotting them down, holding the anive
belief, I suppose, that I wouldn't need them.  Of course, it turns out I now
*do* have a use for them, so I wonder if Patrick or some other kind soul would
be willing to post a summary.  To satisfy an utterly idle curiosity, I would be
interested to know what gateway software and hardware is behind the addressing
syntaxes (syntaces?) as well.

--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner

[Moderator's Note: They are getting easier to use all the time. In years
past, the addressing schemes were pretty convoluted, but now, it is quite
simple, at least to get from *here* to *them*, if not necessarily the other
way around.

A few examples I use frequently:  attmail!username@att.com
                                  mailbox.number@mci.com
                                  7xxxxx.yyy@compuserve.com
                                  first.last@zone.net.node.fidonet.org

Going to Fido, 'fidonet.org' causes the mail to route to the assigned gateway
or the default gateway, based on the node and net. To write us, Fido people
address their mail to username: uucp; at one of the gateway addresses. The
first line of text MUST say: "To: username@site.domain" and the second line
of text MUST be blank. As for AT&T, MCI and Compuserve, maybe someone from
those places reading the Digest can send along the methodology involved
in getting mail to the Internet.   PT]

dattier@jolnet.orpk.il.us (David W. Tamkin) (09/05/89)

In Digest volume 9, issue 347, Patrick Townson responds to Lang Zerner's
request for the syntax of writing between commercial nets and the UUCP
universe:

 From CompuServe, the form is >INTERNET:user@site.domain or
>INTERNET:bang!path!sequence!user.  The greater-than sign and the colon are
required; I don't know whether capitalizing the word "INTERNET" is vital.
The word INTERNET is used even for sites that are not actually on the
Internet: for example, I regularly exchange mail between CompuServe and
pubnet sites with this syntax.

At present CIS is not yet surcharging for such mail.

David Tamkin   dattier@jolnet.orpk.il.us  {attctc,netsys,ddsw1}!jolnet!dattier
Post Office Box 813           GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  BIX: dattier  CIS: 73720,1570
Rosemont, Illinois  60018-0813      voice mail: (312) 693-0591, (708) 518-6769

76703.407@compuserve.com (HamNet) (09/05/89)

Using the new EasyPlex -> Internet bridge is very easy requiring that the
addressee be supplied as follows:

>internet:user@domain

That's all there is to it.  From MCI Mail to Internet, the procedure involves
specifying:

TO: Username (EMS)
EMS: Internet
MBX: user@domain

Scott Loftesness
76703.407@COMPUSERVE.COM (SysOp of the HamNet Amateur Radio/SWL Forum)

0003962594@mcimail.com (Eric Swenson) (09/06/89)

Patrick Townson asked that people familiar with sending mail from
various commercial networks to the Internet relate the process to the
telecom community.  I am on MCI Mail.  The procedure for sending to
the internet is as follows:

	1) Use the "CREATE" command as usual.
	2) At the "TO:" prompt, type in the person's name followed by
           "(ems)".  In other words, follow the person's name with the
	   letters "ems" in parentheses.  The person's name is really
	   not used, but is useful for user-friendly purposes.
	3) MCI Mail will notice the "(ems)" and prompt you for an
	   External Mail System (EMS).  At the "EMS:" prompt, type
	   "internet".  There are other networks you can use here,
	   by the way -- type "HELP EMS" to find out what they are.
	4) Next, MCI Mail will prompt you for the mailbox.  At the
	   "MBX:" prompt, type in the Internet address.  I.e.
	   "ejs@goldhill.com".
        5) MCI Mail will then ask you to verify the address name and
	   then will continue with further "TO:" prompts.
	6) You can use the same process for the "CC:" prompts.
	7) Everything else is as usual.

-- Eric (0003962594@mcimail.com) [ugh!]

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/06/89)

>As for AT&T, MCI and Compuserve, maybe someone from
>those places reading the Digest can send along the methodology involved
>in getting mail to the Internet.

Sending mail from MCI Mail to the Internet works the same way as from MCI
mail to any other network to which they have a gateway.  You give the "EMS"
option after the recipient's address, then the network name "Internet" and
for the mailbox address, the Internet address of the recipient.  The gateway
is very well implemented and does a good job of preserving mail addresses so
you can respond to them smoothly.  When sending into MCI Mail, the mailbox
number is written with no punctuation, so my address there is
0001037498@mci.com.  I have seen no documentation for this gateway, but
since at the moment messages pass both ways for free (not even the usual MCI
Mail message charge) I can hardly complain.

>From Compuserve, you give an address like ">INTERNET: user@site.domain" on
the address line.  HELP INTERNET gives more info.  Inbound, the two parts of
the Compuserve user number are separated by a dot, rather than the usual
comma.

I don't use AT&T Mail, but my understanding is that it acts somewhat like a
very large uucp site, and regular uucp bang syntax should work.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu

laba-2ac%web-2a.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (09/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0347m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang
Zerner) writes:
>[Moderator's Note: They are getting easier to use all the time. In years
>past, the addressing schemes were pretty convoluted, but now, it is quite
>simple, at least to get from *here* to *them*, if not necessarily the other
>way around.
[...]
>                                  mailbox.number@mci.com

MCI Mail boxes are arranged as phone numbers, like 367-9829 (my old box).
To address a MCI mail box, you can use that number exactly, with the dash,
or without the dash (3679829). MCI Mail sends to Internet the mailbox
number without the dash, and 2 zero's prefixed ("003679829@mcimail.com" is
what it would look like from MCI Mail).

>................... As for AT&T, MCI and Compuserve, maybe someone from
>those places reading the Digest can send along the methodology involved
>in getting mail to the Internet.   PT]

In MCI Mail, at the "Command:" prompt, type "CR" (for create letter).
At the "To:" prompt, type the name of the person you are sending to, followed
by "(EMS)" (with the paretheses (sp?)), like so:
     To: Joe Blow (ems)
Then, it will ask for the EMS system, type "Internet", like so:
     EMS: Internet
Then, it will ask for the MBX (mailbox) of the person, you type the internet
address at this point:
     MBX: ranma@cup.portal.com
MCI Mail does NOT have a smart mailer. So, if you mail to UUCP, Bitnet, etc,
you have to use the gateways to get there, like so:
     MBX: bougus!address!ranma@uunet.uu.net
                  <or>
     MBX: ranma%address.UUCP@uunet.uu.net
          (this assumes the machine "address" is in the published UUCP maps).

MCI Mail polls NRI (their mail gateway) every 30 minutes.

In MCI Mail, you can send to a person by their name, but that is an
interactive session where if there was more than one match, you get to
pick the right person on MCI Mail. Mail from the Internet, you can't do
that, so you must know the MCI Mailbox number of that person.

The MCI Mail recepient does not see the Internet routing headers when they
recieve mail. The Internet mail can be directly "REplied" to in MCI Mail.
Your Internet address can be part of a "list" on someones MCI Mail acct
(alaiases).

MCI Mail will send a message to the originator (on MCI Mail) if the message
has not been delivered (because of TCP foul-ups, host down, etc.) It will
keep trying for 3 days, the it will return the message as undeliverable.

On Lotus Express, when you create a letter, at the To: prompt, hit "F9" to
expand the address, the fill the "EMS" and "MBX" prompts like usual.

Hope this helps.

     Robert Gutierrez
     <ranma@cup.portal.com> from a borrowed account.
     ****IF YOU REPLY TO THIS ACCOUNT, make the Subject: "c/o Ranma"****

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
laba-2ac@web.berkeley.edu	Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!

levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org (Ken Levitt) (09/08/89)

In an article <Telecom V9 Issue 347> Patric Townson writes.

    To send mail to FidoNet use:  first.last@zone.net.node.fidonet.org

The actual addressing should look like:
          First.Last@fNODE.nNET.zZONE.fidonet.org

So to send to Bob Smith at 1:2/3 the address would look like:
          Bob.Smith@f3.n2.z1.fidonet.org

--
Ken Levitt - via FidoNet node 1:16/390
UUCP: ...harvard!talcott!zorro9!levitt

krone@presto.ig.com (Larry Krone) (09/10/89)

Are there any network connections to GENIE...???

Larry