[comp.dcom.telecom] Directory Enquiries

pkh%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Kevin Hopkins) (09/05/89)

(Originally sent on Thu, 24 Aug 89 10:36:37 +0100, but - you guessed it -
the UK once again held it up - pkh.)

Here's a UK view of charging for DA calls.

Over  here in  the  UK  British Telecom  (BT)  has  unsuccessfully tried to
introduce charges for directory enquiry calls  a few times  over the last 5
or so years.  The main reason that the attempts have failed is that BT only
provide a phone directory book for your local area.  If I have the name and
address of a company in  London  but no phone number  I will  phone 192 and
expect to be given the number without charge. This is the  attitude of most
of the people in the UK, that is why BT have been defeat on the charges for
192. Now if people were to be given a terminal linked into the whole of the
UK directory enquiries database (as the French have for  their database) or
we were given all the UK phone books by default ( :-) then people would not
mind paying  for 192. The fact  is that as  we do not  have the information
provided for us by default so we expect to be given it without charge. Most
people over here usually complain that BT is being immoral (yep, that's the
word they use) when they try charging for 192 as  there is no  other source
for the information 192 provides.

Now, I think there is a case  for charging for local  directory enquires as
it usually means that I am too  lazy to get off my  ar*e and find the phone
book, though there should be a method for the operator to cancel the charge
if the number   I am looking  for  has  changed/been added since  the  last
printing  of  the phone directory  book.  192  calls from coin boxes should
still be free as the yobs  have normally torn up the  phone directory books
to use as bog roll. We can but dream.

+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| K.Hopkins%cs.nott.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk | Kevin Hopkins,		      |
| or    ..!mcvax!ukc!nott-cs!K.Hopkins	     | Department of Computer Science,|
| or in the UK: K.Hopkins@uk.ac.nott.cs	     | University of Nottingham,      |
| CHAT-LINE: +44 602 484848 x 3815	     | Nottingham, ENGLAND, NG7 2RD   |
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us (Wolf Paul) (09/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0355m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> K.Hopkins%computer-
science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:
 >Here's a UK view of charging for DA calls.
 >provided for us by default so we expect to be given it without charge. Most
 >people over here usually complain that BT is being immoral (yep, that's the
 >word they use) when they try charging for 192 as  there is no  other source
 >for the information 192 provides.

While I can understand that argument, nonetheless it is flawed: not only
**finding** a phone number, but **calling** a phone number is available
only through a service the telco provides -- since making a phone call is
otherwise impossible, should the telco be prohibited from charging for that
service?  Since driving a car is impossible unless you get one from a dealer
or the manufacturer, should the dealer or manufacturer be required to provide
it free of charge?

 >printing  of  the phone directory  book.  192  calls from coin boxes should
 >still be free as the yobs  have normally torn up the  phone directory books
 >to use as bog roll. We can but dream.

Again, I understand the sentiment, but why should the damage done by the "yobs"
be paid for by the telco rather than you who wants to use the coin box? If the
average Joe Citizen would not look the other way when the yobs ransack coin
boxes (and other public facilities) we would not have such rampant vandalism
(and I am by no means innocent of looking the other way, but I don't assume
that the telco should have to pay because I look the other way).

UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

ggm@uunet.uu.net (George Michaelson) (09/11/89)

wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us (Wolf Paul) writes:

>In article <telecom-v09i0355m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> K.Hopkins%computer-
>science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:
> >Here's a UK view of charging for DA calls.
> >provided for us by default so we expect to be given it without charge. Most
> >people over here usually complain that BT is being immoral (yep, that's the
> >word they use) when they try charging for 192 as  there is no  other source
> >for the information 192 provides.

>While I can understand that argument, nonetheless it is flawed: not only
>**finding** a phone number, but **calling** a phone number is available
>only through a service the telco provides -- since making a phone call is
>otherwise impossible, should the telco be prohibited from charging for that
>service?  Since driving a car is impossible unless you get one from a dealer
>or the manufacturer, should the dealer or manufacturer be required to provide
>it free of charge?

Had BT not been a state owned and run monopoly within living memory, your
expectations would be more correct.

For many of us, BT (and the GPO in general when they were one) represented
a commonly owned *NOT FOR PROFIT* service (albiet one that could and sometimes
did make money, which of course was creamed off into the exchequer rather than
re-invested or even (shock horror) rebated...) and our views were formed as a
result. Even in a post-thatcherist  world BT has cross-subsidization and
other requirements placed upon it which make it more than just a money-making
enterprise. In a world where the phone can be a lifeline, but one denied
to many because of more general economic deprivation, the phone-provider
can (and in my view should) have certain moral obligations to meet.

Before BT left the public fold it was made quite clear that certain services,
such as DA and maintenence of phoneboxes were viewed as essential. BT
has consistently tried to renege on these and other social commitments, to
the extent that OFTEL has been forced to act, and its image as the most
complained-about utility only recently was assuaged by very marked
improvements in staffing directed towards payphone repairs.

I understand one of the first "steamlining" activities to take place
was the CENTRALIZING of all DA enquiries. Of course they under-estimated
the number of lines required, and call-queing was the norm rather than
the exception.

Yes, public ownership was not always rosy. The state's blatent creaming off
of all profits and separation from the GPO did not (in my opinion) help.
Nonetheless, Once upon a time BT was *not* just a company selling a resource,
and if some of our expectations reflect that, so much the better I say!

	-George
--
Internet: G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au                     Phone: +61 7 377 4079
  Postal: George Michaelson, Prentice Computer Centre