[comp.dcom.telecom] More on History of SxS Apparatus

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0367m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> the Moderator writes:
> [Moderator's Note: Well Larry, your history is right on the mark. Many
> people are amazed to find out that Automatic Electric -- and not Bell
> -- 'invented' the dial phone system. And an old story has it that the
> inventor did so because he was paranoid about the operators diverting
> profitable business calls from him to one of his competitors. Any
> truth to that?  PT]

	Not only is your statement true, but even more amazing is the
nature of Strowger's occupation: he was an undertaker!

	Rather than merely recite some details about the development
of "automatic telephony" (a term no longer used, but which was first
used to described dial switching systems as opposed to manual
switchboards), I am going to do so in a much more colorful fashion by
quoting few paragraphs from a book in my collection: "Automatic
Telephone Practice", by Harry E. Hershey, Fifth Edition published in
1946.  Hershey was an engineer who joined [Strowger] Automatic
Electric Co. in 1910 and retired in 1945 when he was in his 70's.
Hershey was well acquainted with the founding fathers of Automatic
Electric, and himself played a significant role in shaping the growth
of Automatic Electric and SxS telephone switching technology.
Comparatively few people have heard of Hershey, who in fact held 51
patents in the area of telephone switching systems.  Hershey was a
most colorful character who has written five editions of a most
unusual textbook - unusual in that about 15% of the textbook is
devoted to various discussions of a "philosophical" nature.

"PREFACE TO FIFTH EDITION"

	"In the words of the immortal Elbert Hubbard, 'If a man - -
make a better mouse-trap than his neighbor, though he build his house
in the woods, the world will make a beaten path to his door'".

	"Strowger Automatic is such a mouse-trap, made by six men - an
undertaker, a clothing salesman, an electrician, and three farm boys.
These men had no cultural background (there was scarcely a high school
education among them), yet they were able to out-think and out-fox
others in the communications field who had hundreds of technicians and
millions of dollars behind them."

	"These men were not handicapped by a profound knowledge of
mechanics or electricity; they merely had a job to do and the
God-given light of genius which permitted them to select the right
approach and the best means of execution.  In the early twenties, when
Panel was first being introduced, John Erickson was approached with
the query, "Will the new Panel System put Strowger Automatic out of
business?'  He answered, 'Twenty-five years ago I gave careful
consideration to that approach and decided that it was workable but
too costly.  We have nothing to fear from Panel.'  Now that the Bell
System has delivered its own verdict on Panel, we know how right he
was."
	"Of the Erickson brothers, John was the mechanical genius and
Charley the electrical wizard; this made for a happy balance between
mechanical gadgets and circuit kinks during the early nineteen
hundreds.  The Martin influence was always in the direction of circuit
accomplishment; but even in 1917 when the first edition of this text
was published, there was still a reasonable relationship between mechanics
and circuits.  Both were simple; and, as the writer demonstrated on many
occasions, it was possible to teach a man Strowger Automatic within a
reasonable length of time."

	"As the years passed and the old heads were retired for one
reason or another the mechanical gadgets disappeared and the circuits
became more and more complex.  In the normal course of events the
fifth edition of this text should have appeared in 1928; but at that
time it seemed that the circuit designers, like Lord Ronald, were
about to mount their horse and ride madly off in all directions at
once.  And so it seemed advisable to watch the pot boil for a few
years."
	"The few years have grown into twenty; the circuits have grown into
thousands and their complexity has increased geometrically.  As a student's
text this compilation will scarcely be as satisfactory as were the earlier
editions.  Its principal excuse for being born is that the writer, now
freed from the necessity of making a living in the telephone business, is
at long last in a position where he can call the shots as he sees them and
takes this opportunity of describing the present Strowger Automatic System
in a brochure replete with historic anecdotes and with numerous references
to men responsible for its rise and for whatever decline it may have
suffered."
	"Old John and Charley, Keith and Martin, were very, very right
indeed.  Strowger Automatic is still going strong after fifty years of
competition which in many instances was far from being fair.  Other
telephone systems have come and gone, but none of them have so well
combined a reasonable degree of efficiency with a reasonable cost."
	"Whitewater, Kansas.  July 1, 1946.  Harry E. Hershey"

	For anyone seriously interested in reading vignettes about the
history of telephony, especially SxS apparatus, examining this book will
be a most rewarding experience.  I would suspect that a copy may be found
in a large public or university library.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/     \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"