[comp.dcom.telecom] Eletelephony!

DANIEL@bnr.ca (Daniel Zlatin) (09/12/89)

Someone asked for the author and completion of the following poem.  I
can't supply the author, but (who can understand the workings of the
human brain?) for some reason I memorized this upon reading it in my
grade 5(? 6? 4?) reader.  For some reason it's stuck with me for lo,
these many years, so here goes!!

Eletelephony
------------

Once there was an elephant
Who tried to use a telephant.
No, no, I mean an elephone
Who tried to use a telephone.
(Dear me, I'm not certain, quite,
That even now I've got it right.)
Howe'er it was, he got his trunk
Entangled in the telephunk.
The more he tried to get it free,
The louder buzzed the telephee.
I fear I'd better drop this song
Of elephop and telephong.

At least that's the way I reconstruct it.  Spellings are my guesses,
(but you get the idea!) and I can't guarantee I've got it all.

Enjoy!
Daniel Zlatin,
Norstar Development,
Bell-Northern Research
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
daniel@bnr.ca

kathryn@uunet.uu.net (Kathryn Fielding) (09/14/89)

DANIEL@bnr.ca (Daniel Zlatin) writes:

>Someone asked for the author and completion of the following poem.  I
>can't supply the author, but (who can understand the workings of the
>human brain?) for some reason I memorized this upon reading it in my
>grade 5(? 6? 4?) reader.  For some reason it's stuck with me for lo,
>these many years, so here goes!!

The poem looked right to me, I believe that the author (or at least I
saw it attributed to him) is John Ciardi (sp?).

Thanks for reminding me of the poem.

Kathryn

{uunet|zardoz|sun!sunkist}!ohio!kathryn     |
kathryn@thomas.com                          |  Help stamp out TLAs!

My opinions are exclusively mine ....       |

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (09/14/89)

My thanks to Ed Sachs of AT&T Bell Labs/Naperville and Larry Kollar of
DCA, Inc., Alpharetta, GA who also contributed the complete set of
words to the clever poem which appeared in the Digest a few days ago.

It was funny, but not funny enough to print a couple more times!
Thanks guys.

Patrick Townson