[comp.dcom.telecom] Mechanical Monsters, Plunger Switches and Fuses

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/14/89)

> In article <telecom-v09i0371m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> clements@bbn.com writes:
> As long as we're reminiscing about SxS exchanges and tours and such...

	[description of routing translator for No. 4 toll tandem office...]

> Each such inquiry resulted in a large "WHAM!" as a bunch of solenoids
> shoved huge trays of metal cards around.  The selected card had
> the answer punched in it.  The cards were metal because of the great
> number of read cycles.  Updating the routing consisted of punching a
> new metal card and replacing the old one in the bin.  Every once in
> a while there was a distinctive "WHAM-WHAM!" in among the many
> random "WHAM!"s.  We were told that was a "come-again-six" operation.
> That meant that the three digits weren't enough to select the trunk
> group - say 603 for NH - and the "ABC" code (3 digits after the area
> code, total six) were needed.  The equipment holding the number
> had to "come again" (request another cycle) with the rest of the six
> digits.

	There was one redeeming feature of the above mechanical monster:
the routing cards were read optically using light beams and photocells,
which was pretty state-of-the-art - for 1950, that is.

	The outputs of the photocells had to drive relays to convey the
translator information to the marker.  Now, knowing WECO design philosophy
as I do, I would bet that those photocells were either of the selenium
photovoltaic variety and directly drove a damn sensitive relay (like a
280-type polar relay), or they were of the cadmium sulfide photoresistive
variety and drove a relay using a cold cathode tube.  Ain't likely that
WECO would have used an electronic circuit using a conventional vacuum
tube as an amplifier to drive a relay.  ANYTHING but a conventional
vacuum tube in a piece of WECO switching apparatus! :-)

	Mechanical monsters of the 1950's and 1960's which rival the
above routing translator were the massive CAMA perforators and readers.
Three-inch wide punched paper tape on 2-foot diameter rolls were something
to behold!

> Some of this gear used plunger line switches that were so old that
> they weren't even "restoring".  A plunger line switch is a wonderful
> device which can't be described without a diagram.  It performs the
> function of a Strowger "Line finder".

	The plunger switch was invented by A. E. Keith in 1906, who was
a founding father of Strowger Automatic Electric.  It is also sometimes
referred to as the Keith Line Switch.  The invention of this particular
device was a vital achievement which simplified previous designs of SxS
switching apparatus.  The 200-point linefinder as we know it today was
invented in 1928, and rapidly replaced the Keith Line Switch.  The
linefinder was such a vast improvement that the Keith Line Switch was
obsolete by 1930.

	Whatever apparatus you had was probably built before 1930!

> Grasshopper fuses; yuck.

	While it was relatively uncommon, the 35-type "grasshopper" fuse
could actually be repaired by replacing the fuse wire!  A LOT of 35-type
fuses were repaired during World War II when materials were scarce.  Can
you think of a more boring job for a switchman?

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/     \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"