[comp.dcom.telecom] UK <-> Ireland Access Codes.

pkh%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Kevin Hopkins) (09/05/89)

( Originally sent on Tue, 22 Aug 89 13:32:05 +0100 but the UK gateway also
held this one up for another unknown reason - pkh.)

moved to a fully STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling, is this term used anywhere
else other than UK and Ireland?)  system within the  last ten years.  Until
then you could not IDD to Ireland  from the UK, you always  had to dial the
UK Operator  (no, not  the  International  Operator) and ask  for  an Irish
number.  Initially Ireland only made their  capital Dublin  STD, then their
major  cities.  Like  the UK  the STD codes for these  cities were 01, 021,
031, ...   These were  made available  from  the  UK  after a few years  by
dialing 0001 + subscriber's number, 0002 + SN, ...  Two or  three years ago
British Telecom (BT) decided to free all these  000x codes  and  allow full
IDD dialling to Ireland using 010 + 353 + Area Code  (minus leading zero) +
subsciber's number.  0001 + subscriber's number has still been kept on as a
quick form of accessing Dublin numbers from the UK.

As the  000x codes were only introduced  in the UK about  10 years ago they
could not have influenced the  choice of 010 as  the  International  Access
Code, as I am sure IDD to major countries (US, Europe, Australia, etc.) was
available long before that. BT is now assigning 00xx codes in  mainland UK,
and  maybe in Northern  Ireland  as well if  they   don't  clash with those
described  below,  to  Value Added  Services   (i.e. the mucky  phone  call
brigade) along with 0898, and charging a bomb for the calls.  Already 0055,
0066 and 0077 have been used.  It looks as though BT  are not going to move
to 00 as the International Access Code.

Northern Ireland is a different case. It is part of the UK but the 000x and
some 00xx codes are used to access all the Republic of Ireland's STD codes.
I was over visiting my grandmother in  Ireland  this earlier this month and
the  access codes FROM  Northern  Ireland  to the Republic  of  Ireland are
listed in the Republic's phone book.

Also, from the Republic of Ireland 03  + Area Code  (including  the leading
zero) is used  to access numbers  in mainland UK,  not 16 +  44 + Area Code
(without leading zero) + subscriber's number. 08 + Area Code (including the
leading zero) is used to access numbers in  Northern Ireland. Exceptions to
these are the following quick dial codes:
		031 (instead of 03 + 01)	London
		032 (instead of 03 + 021)	Birmingham
		033 (instead of 03 + 031)	Edinburgh
		034 (instead of 03 + 041)	Glasgow
		035 (instead of 03 + 051)	Liverpool
		036 (instead of 03 + 061)	Manchester
		084 (instead of 08 + 0232)	Belfast
There  is no  short code for Tynside  as  yet  (UK code  091, 039?)  and  I
presume 037 and 038 will be used for London instead of 031 when the UK area
code 01 is scrapped next May.

One of the  advantages  of a   lately developed  telephone system    in the
Republic of Ireland is that it is now largely a digitally system. Calls are
completed once  the last digit is dialled  and the lines are crystal clear.
Also, from a  private  phone   local calls  are charged  as just one  unit,
irrespective   of duration  (one  unit is   approximately 11  pence  at the
moment). Now if British Telecom moved to this system  for local dialling in
the UK it would be worth getting a modem :-)

All of this information is correct as of mid-August when  I was in Ireland.
I  have had   great experience of  UK-Eire  calls having  many relatives in
Ireland.

> When IDD came along, it would have been politically insensitive
> (suicidal?) to make Eire calls "international",

As  described above  IDD came along   and BT did  in  fact make Irish calls
international calls, though at a cheaper rate than for the rest of Europe.

+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| K.Hopkins%cs.nott.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk | Kevin Hopkins,		      |
| or    ..!mcvax!ukc!nott-cs!K.Hopkins	     | Department of Computer Science,|
| or in the UK: K.Hopkins@uk.ac.nott.cs	     | University of Nottingham,      |
| CHAT-LINE: +44 602 484848 x 3815	     | Nottingham, ENGLAND, NG7 2RD   |
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Horsfall) (09/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0349m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>
    K.Hopkins%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:

| moved to a fully STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling, is this term used anywhere
| else other than UK and Ireland?)  system within the  last ten years.

No replies to this so far, so...

Indeed it is - it's used in Australia, along with ISD (International
Subscriber Dialling).  There are very few manual exchanges left in the
country, incidentally.  AXE is slowly replacing step-by-step and Xbar.

Would I be wrong in guessing that most (if not all) of what used to be
the British Commonwealth countries use the STD/ISD terms?  Speak up,
Canucks and Kiwis!

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU),  Alcatel STC Australia,  dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET,  ...munnari!stcns3.stc.oz.AU!dave