[comp.dcom.telecom] Security of Telephone Company Customer Information

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0352m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> laba-2ac%web-2a.Berkeley.
EDU@ucbvax.berkeley.edu writes:
> In the area of security, in MCI, their customer system was called OCIS
> (pronounced "oh-sis"), for On-line Customer Information System. It ran
> (runs) on multiple IBM 3070's running VMS, in a CICS appication (it
> uses DB-2 for the database). The thing I seem to remember is that they
> were lax as far as what you can get from OCIS. Almost everybody could
> get the full billing information on you (from anywhere in the country, the
> country is divided up into 7 divisions, and you'd have to "access" each
> division to find somebody, but that just takes a few more keystrokes).
> The only thing they placed restrictions on was who could view Calling
> Card codes and who could do changes to that account. They just now got
> on-line call-detail, and the call detail is held on-line for 3 months
> before it is archived. That is how I found an ex-girlfriend (and saw who
> she was calling to boot). We had fun looking up celebrities and other
> people we knew to see who they were calling (get the numbers, call the
> appropriate CNA, then volia, "We Got Your Number!") It was a great way
> to kill time, needless to say.

	The potential of unauthorized access to customer information,
as exemplified above, has always been a source of paranoia to New York
Telephone.  Needless to say, there have been incidents of information
"abuse" which have caused New York Telephone to maintain a reasonable
level of customer information database security, and to conduct
periodic audits of database access.

	While I am not certain of the law in other states, it is a
specific _crime_ in New York State for a person to obtain billing and
physical plant INFORMATION about a telephone subscriber without having
prior authorization to do so.  The actual text of Penal Law 250.30 is
as follows:

	"A person is guilty of unlawfully obtaining communications
	information when, knowing that he does not have the authorization
	of a telephone or telegraph corporation, he obtains or attempts
	to obtain, by deception, stealth or in any other manner, from
	such corporation or from any employee, officer or representative
	thereof:

	1.  Information concerning identification or location of any wires,
	cables, lines terminals or other apparatus used in furnishing
	telephone or telegraph service; or

	2.  Information concerning a record of any communication passing
	over telephone or telegraph lines of any such corporation.

	Unlawfully obtaining communications information is a class B
	misdemeanor."

	I don't know of any attempted prosecutions or case law for the
above criminal offense, although the law has been on the books since
1965.  This law is not intended to cover any act of eavesdropping,
which is covered by other sections of the Penal Law.  A reasonable
interpretation of this law would include billing records of toll
calls.

	This law is one of the reasons why New York Telephone is
sensitive to "unauthorized" use of ANAC (Automatic Number Announcement
Circuit).  While it would certainly be stretching the imagination a
bit, a person using ANAC in an attempt to identify someone ELSE's
telephone pairs could be prosecuted under this law.

	New York Telephone security personnel are a frustrated lot;
while they would love to prosecute people (and there have been cases
where there was sufficient basis for prosecution, but where it was
declined) and set an example for purposes of deterance, such
prosecution would also disclose details which could facilitate others
to commit the same unlawful act.  As a result, New York Telephone
security personnel generally limit prosecution to larceny in one form
or another.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/     \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"