[comp.dcom.telecom] DTMF Terminals?

sr16+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth Benjamin Rothenberg) (09/13/89)

My bank offers bank-by-phone, where a synthesizer and a DTMF detector
make up a terminal.  I have been unable to track down (neither from the
bank nor from DataPro Reports (are they any good?) any info on such devices.

Does anyone know what they are and the names of some manufacturers?  I
would really be interested in multiport devices, though single-port
(as would be used with a PC) would be helpful.

Thanks
Seth Rothenberg
sr16@andrew.cmu.edu

tom@gatech.edu (Tom Wiencko) (09/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0370m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> sr16+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Seth Benjamin Rothenberg) writes:

>>My bank offers bank-by-phone, where a synthesizer and a DTMF detector
>>make up a terminal.

>>Does anyone know what they are and the names of some manufacturers?  I
>>would really be interested in multiport devices, though single-port
>>(as would be used with a PC) would be helpful.

Dialogic Corporation makes some dandy little boards which hook up to PC
or compatible devices.  They have several different kinds of boards, with
different numbers of lines available (we used the 4 line D40 boards and
liked them a lot).  If you really wanted to get fancy, you could plug
a whole slew of them into a single PC - up to six boards if I remember
right.

They also had a little cross-connect switch board which you could hook
up in front of the telephone boards which would give you the capability
of building a little baby PBX if you really wanted to.

I don't have their number and address handy, but can dig it up if you
need it.

Tom Wiencko                                            (w) (404) 977-4515
gatech!stiatl!tom                                  Wiencko & Associates, Inc.

onymouse@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John DeBert) (09/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0370m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, sr16+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Seth Benjamin Rothenberg) says:
> My bank offers bank-by-phone, where a synthesizer and a DTMF detector
> make up a terminal.  I have been unable to track down (neither from the
> bank nor from DataPro Reports (are they any good?) any info on such devices.

   First Interstate, right?

> Does anyone know what they are and the names of some manufacturers?  I
> would really be interested in multiport devices, though single-port
> (as would be used with a PC) would be helpful.

   There is a hybrid modem device that contains a sysnthesizer with female
   voice, a Bell 103/212A modem and can detect DTMF and single tones that
   is made by XeCom in Milpitas, CA. It's a very small device - about the
   length of a 40-pin DIP and 3/4 inch high by 1 inch wide. It was featured
   in Steve Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar column in BYTE a few years back.

   I don't have the address on hand but I will dig around for it.

   JJD
   onymouse@netcom.UUCP