[comp.dcom.telecom] NPA 215

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 13-Sep-1989 2056) (09/14/89)

   >From:	GMONTI       "Greg Monti"     12-SEP-1989 16:56:25.63
   >Subj:	TD Submission:  NPA 215

How full is Area Code 215 (Philadelphia and environs)?  215 may be the most
populated Area Code in the U.S. which does not yet use prefixes containing a
1 or a 0 as the second digit.

On a recent trip there, I noticed that a local business in the South Street
neighborhood of Philly had a phone number posted on its sign: 215 925-9999.
Some Bell of Pennsylvania pay phones in 215 also now have NXX-99XX series phone
numbers on them.

Philadelphia is Bell of Pennsylvania territory.  Most of the BOC's have had
standing rules for many years that the NXX-99XX series of phone numbers was to
be for internal phone company purposes only (test tones, test silence,
verification operator, test boards, etc.).  This reserves 1% of the numbers in
each prefix for this purpose.  If BellPa is now assigning the 9900
series to ordinary uses, it may be because they are running out of numbers in
area 215.  I don't have a complete list on me, but from what I can remember,
virtually all the NNX series of prefixes are used up in 215.

My understanding of Area Code splits is that Bellcore hands out new Area Codes
when the controlling Local Operating Company for that Area Code can prove that
it is within a certain percent of running out of numbers, *assuming that the
existing number base is being used in the most efficient possible way.*  I
would imagine that Bellcore strongly suggests that prefixes with a 1 or 0 as
the second digit be implemented first, before splitting the Area Code, since
this maximizes the number base within the NPA and minimizes the number of times
the nation at large must endure NPA splits.

In many Area Codes, there is much in the way of older switching equipment which
cannot handle three-digit combinations with 1 or 0 as the second digit when
used as local prefixes.  In these NPA's the split occurs when the NNX
combinations run out.  Examples:  California 714/619, Massachusetts 617/508,
and most if not all the NPA splits which occurred prior to 1980.  If the
controlling LEC can prove to Bellcore that they can't handle N1X/N0X prefixes,
then Bellcore allows the split without those CO codes.

Is BellPa using the 9900 series phone numbers while it rushes to make all its
Southeastern Pennsylvania switches N1X/N0X compatible?  Or will it run out of
NNX combinations and have to split anyway? I assume that last-minute
brinksmanship is not allowed since NPA splits take plenty of planning.

Greg Monti, Arlington, Virginia;  workplace +1 202 822-2459

Maynard) (09/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0376m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> covert@covert.enet.dec.
com (John R. Covert  13-Sep-1989 2056) writes about NPA split rules and
N0X/N1X code usage.

The 713/409 split in the Houston area occurred after 1980, and we still
don't have N0X/N1X. We may not for a while yet, either, as there are
still a fair number of 713 NXXs left open by the split (I think).

Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.
{attctc,bellcore}!texbell!splut!jay +----------------------------------------
"The unkindest thing you can do for a hungry man is to give him food." - RAH