[net.news.group] I'm learning why nobody likes mod groups

reid@glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (12/01/85)

I'm beginning to see why moderated groups often fail. Everybody loses the
articles. Mod.recipes was created recently, and I have sent out 12 articles
to it. Many sites report having received only 3 of those 12 (but not the
first 3). Another site reports having received only the 7th of them.
I'm investigating.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (12/02/85)

In article <1862@glacier.ARPA> reid@glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:

>I'm beginning to see why moderated groups often fail. Everybody loses the
>articles. Mod.recipes was created recently,...

On this site, we got the first few (7?) and because we have MANUALLY
turned on they automatically got junked. Since I read junk, I noticed
it and created mod.recipes and the following articles were treated
correctly, but any sites downstream of me won't receive the junked
ones.

I'm not going to turn MANUALLY off so there is a chance of this
happening every time a new group is created. I do read net.news.group
but it's not always easy to tell when a consensus has been reached
with the low signal to noise ratio in there.

But this problem is not peculiar to mod groups.
--
 There's nothing I hate more than sorting socks.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

ln63fkn@sdcc7.UUCP (Paul van de Graaf) (12/03/85)

Many users in my recent survey on why net.sources.mac doesn't want to go mod
also brought up this point.  Most others gave variations on the same arguments
I posted with the survey.  The argument list :-) now stands at:

[whining mode]  	It's too much trouble to post to moderated groups.
[sensible mode] 	Moderation introduces a lag in the posting process.
[silly blather mode]	Censorship is bad. Moderation is censorship.
			Ergo, moderation is bad.
[irrate mode]		The mailers are too blasted unreliable.  Only 1/2 of
			what's mailed to the moderator gets through.

I'd say this the most serious problem with moderated groups.  In fact I'd
guess this is what generates paranoia in some people and causes them to write
Moderation = Censorship flames.  Any ideas on how to tackle this problem?
Perhaps the news/mail software could periodically check the paths to the
moderators by trying to send them mail and waiting for a reply [hopefully
automated].  If this fails an alternate path might be arranged or the news
administrator could intervene.  Do any members of "The Mod Squad"
(ie. Lauren etc.) have any ideas?

I'm still looking for more arguments against moderation.  Mail 'em to me!

Paul van de Graaf	    sdcsvax!sdcc7!ln63fkn		U. C. San Diego

reid@glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (12/04/85)

Mr. De Graaf misunderstood my message about missing mod groups. I am the
moderator of mod.recipes. Mail from me to myself was certainly not lost.
However, 9 of the 12 messages that I posted to ordinary netnews were lost
somewhere in nsc-->ihnp4-->qantel. [I haven't been able to raise any
response from people on those machines to help me diagnose what went wrong].
The 3 messages that got through were not even contiguous.

The mod-group distribution problem has nothing to do with lost mail. It has
to do with lost news articles. I have seen this a lot in mod.sources, and I
have now seen it in spades in mod.recipes.

I actually believe that the very future of usenet depends on moderated
groups, which is one of the reasons I am willing to work at setting up a new
one that will (I hope) be of high quality and significant usefulness. Rather
than using this as an argument against moderated groups, let's use it as a
war-cry against buggy software. Hello nsc? Hello inhp4? Hello qantel?
Can anybody there do a little poking in your news directories for me?
--

ln63fkn@sdcc7.UUCP (Paul van de Graaf) (12/05/85)

In article <1959@glacier.ARPA> reid@glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>Mr. [van] de Graaf misunderstood my message about missing mod groups.

Yes, I did.  I noticed my error right after posting, but didn't take the trouble
to cancel the article.  Even so, four net.sources.mac users complained that in
using moderated groups in the past, articles they sent to moderators have been
returned and down-right lost by the mailers.  I thought this was significant
enough to warrant a post.

In my brevity, I forgot to mention that I am a supporter of moderation of
newsgroups.  In past article I asked net.sources.mac users why they object to
moderation.  This is the origin of the list of arguments.  My intent was to gain
information on why some people dislike moderated groups, and try to find ways to
mend their dislikes.  Moderation done properly might save Usenet.

Paul van de Graaf		sdcsvax!sdcc7!ln63fkn		U. C. San Diego

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (12/06/85)

Why not have all moderators post a DIRECT UUCP LOGIN such as the one included
in the signature below?  Considering the unreliability of uucp mail, we should
insist that the list of moderators include UUCP direct login information.

We have the solution.  Let's use it.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (12/09/85)

Chuck's idea of having the moderators provide direct UUCP logins
is not a very desirable one (see the second part of this message).
It is also unnecessary.

First of all, uucp mail is generally NOT unreliable.  The problem
with moderated groups is that there is no generally available
central repository of addresses to reach the moderators, so many people
tend to guess about addresses.  Rather than try insist that people run
the "latest and greatest" (and probably buggy) netnews software at
any given time, it might be far better to assign FIXED addresses
at certain well-placed nodes for moderated traffic.  If the nodes
were in major backbone positions, additional delay would
be negligible or total delay might even be reduced.  So if people
knew to post to mod.foo they ALWAYS sent mail to:

majorsite!mod-foo

and knew that site would forward that message on to the moderator
of record for that group, things would be greatly simplified.  So
long as total moderated traffic stays within some limits, additional
load on the sites providing this service might be pretty low, since
such backbones are already carrying so much netnews traffic anyway.
In other words, the relative increase in traffic for those sites
might be quite small (they'd only have to forward one particular copy of
the message onward, after all).  If this encouraged more use of moderated
groups, then overall netnews traffic would drop and the sites providing
the service would be winners in the longer run, with overall REDUCED
load.

----

Regarding the publication of direct UUCP login info:

I have long spoken out against the use of "multiple-access" UUCP
login accounts.  While some sites feel that having one open account
for everyone to call simplifies administration, it also provides
an easy gateway for forged messages, misuse of resources, and just
generally is a poor idea from a security standpoint.  Sites with
a real interest in security have separate accounts
for each site calling, so that they have some chance to track
down problems and keep their site secure.

--Lauren--

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (12/09/85)

In article <267@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>Why not have all moderators post a DIRECT UUCP LOGIN such as the one included
>in the signature below?  Considering the unreliability of uucp mail, we should
>insist that the list of moderators include UUCP direct login information.
>
>We have the solution.  Let's use it.

Unfortunately, this won't work universally unless the moderator is using old
UUCP software or has sources.

System V.2 UUCP requires all remote system names and logins to be listed in
USERFILE; 4.3bsd requires all names in L.sys. At least with 4.3bsd, you can
turn the check on and off at compile time. With V.2, you have to hack the
code to turn it off. (If I'm wrong on this, I'd sure like to hear about it!)

These changes have been quite a shock to some sites, who never bothered to
make L.sys or USERFILE entries for sites that polled them. It also makes it
impossible to have "anonymous" UUCP logins, as Chuck is proposing.

An entirely different issue is whether large, heavily trafficked sites want
to broadcast this kind of information.

Hey, Peter, can HoneyDanber still do this?
--
      -m-------   Pyramid Technology       Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D
    ---mmm-----   1295 Charleston Rd         {cmcl2,topaz}!pyrnj!

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (12/09/85)

honey danber permits "anonymous" uucp logins, and so do bsd and svr2.
the bsd/svr2 USERFILE wants an enumeration of uucp logins, but host
name validation is optional; the same is true of honey danber's
Permissions file.  the "i don't know you" feature in honey danber can
be turned on or off on the fly by chmod-ing a shell script.

i concur with those who advocate making the uucp login data public
(although i ruined allegra that way).  i put my uucp data in the #R
field of my mod.map data.

	peter

sanand@aquila.UUCP (Sanand Patel) (12/09/85)

In article <267@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>Why not have all moderators post a DIRECT UUCP LOGIN such as the one included
>in the signature below?  Considering the unreliability of uucp mail, we should

Now there's an interesting idea.
(In regards to reducing costs, noise etc.) Have several "mod" sites (maybe
current backbone sites). Have all news posted directly to the mod site, payed
for by the poster. From the mod sites it would be distributed as normal.
*If* mod groups are the way of the future (I don't know for sure), then the
above would do several things:
	1) Make the poster pay some of the costs.
	2) Provide a minor barrier against net garbage.
	3) Give a "good" line to the net moderators.
	4) Not introduce too much bureaucracy (sp?).
	5) Superior mod groups ==> Superior information exchange.
	6) Good prosepects for "transitional" change". (I.E try a few
	   mod groups at a time).
Some disadvantages:
	1) Valuable "posters" would be penalized for contributing
	   positively to the net (maybe their company would'nt mind this).
	2) Mod sites would have their incoming modems ringing all day.
	3) (Some thing along the lines of ..) A shift of authority
	   to fewer centers  (away from the "anarchy"/"equalness" we now have).

--
Sanand
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (12/09/85)

> Why not have all moderators post a DIRECT UUCP LOGIN such as the one included
> in the signature below?  Considering the unreliability of uucp mail, we should
> insist that the list of moderators include UUCP direct login information.

  The problem with this is that it would prevent many people (such as myself)
who don't have the authority to give out that information from volunteering
to be moderators.

--Greg

jpn@teddy.UUCP (12/09/85)

In article <267@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>Why not have all moderators post a DIRECT UUCP LOGIN such as the one included
>in the signature below?  Considering the unreliability of uucp mail, we should
>insist that the list of moderators include UUCP direct login information.
>
>We have the solution.  Let's use it.

I work at a site where such a DIRECT UUCP LOGIN would not be allowed for
various security reasons.

I guess this means I can stop moderating mod.sources  <<PHEW!>>
I wonder who my replacement is going to be :-)

John P. Nelson, Moderator, mod.sources
(decvax!genrad!panda!jpn  seismo!harvard!wjh12!panda!jpn)

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (12/09/85)

I can't help but consider sites that insist all sitenames be entered
in L.sys and/or USERFILE and/or have separate login accounts to be
anything but "good guys."  Sites that allow "anonymous"
access to uucp are not only affecting their own security, but
the security of the entire net by providing "easy" anonymous and
unverifiable entry points.  With the vast number of people gaining access
to PC's with appropriate capabilities, anonymous access points are just
trouble waiting to happen.  ALL sites can provide appropriate security,
regardless of what software versions they run, by simply providing access
accounts on a one per site basis.

It doesn't seem too much to ask that people send a mail message to
the site administrator asking for an account before access is given.
Such access accounts don't have to be kept around indefinitely--maybe
only for a week or so.  If nothing else, this provides a way to contact
the calling site if things go wrong (like calling you every 5 minutes
and tying up your dialup lines!)  Getting anonymous calls from some
unknown point is a MESS if they start giving you trouble!

For people who MUST have TOTALLY anonymous file transfer access, I'd
recommend providing a conventional login account (into a restricted
shell) and let people use kermit or umodem for their occasional
file transfers from your machine.  This gives them the occasional
file xfer capability they "need," while avoiding giving some joker who gets
his or her jollies from masquerading as other sites anonymous uucp
entry points.

Yes, it's more work to keep track of separate accounts.
Yes, it's too bad we can't be one big happy family and not worry
about security.

But we're growing very fast, and the time to start taking some
simple actions toward providing at least a reasonable level of security
is now.  And everyone can do it, regardless of what software they run.

--Lauren--

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (12/10/85)

Lauren Weinstein writes:
> it might be far better to assign FIXED addresses
> at certain well-placed nodes for moderated traffic. ... So if people
> knew to post to mod.foo they ALWAYS sent mail to:
>
> majorsite!mod-foo
>
> and knew that site would forward that message on to the moderator
> of record for that group, things would be greatly simplified.

I think this is a very good idea and should be implemented asap.

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (12/11/85)

] proposed solution: moderators publish public UUCP login; example given

This has several problems with it.  The first of these is that the
moderator may not be the system administrator, who passes out such
information.  The potential joke submittor may also not be a system
administrator, and thus might not be able to add the moderator's
system to the list of sites called.  It is also possible that the
submittor is on a site which does not have dial-out abilities, or
that the moderator (in some ARPA cases) is on a site that does not
offer dial-in uucp capabilities.

On many sites (this one included) uucp login information is not posted
for the general world, but is made available upon application by respon-
sible parties.  This may be done for several reasons, the most common
of which are security and shortage of dial-in ports.

--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews, KI4PV
uucp:					...!decvax!ucf-cs!ki4pv!tanner