[comp.dcom.telecom] Residential 800 Service?

clements@bbn.com (09/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0340m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>
telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>On the other hand, TELECOM USA (provider of my residential 800 service)

This has been bothering me for a few days now.  Could someone please explain
why in the world one would want an 800 number in one's home?  To me, 800
service seems very much a business service.  I can't see why one would want to
accept charges from just anyone anywhere on a residential phone.  (Unless, of
course, it is really business use of a residential phone - theoretically
a no-no.)  Maybe the 800 number is unlisted, but even then why are collect
calls, call-home service or credit card calls not adequate?  I'm sure there
must be a reason, I just don't see it.

Bob Clements, clements@bbn.com

[Moderator's Note: Depending on the time of day and othe circumstances,
an 800 number is less expensive than an incoming call on a Calling Card.
The 800 number I have from Telecom USA costs $2.45 per month plus the
cost of the calls (29 cents daytime, 21 cents off peak). Therefore a
local metro Chicago area call of one or two minutes is much cheaper than
the Calling Card, with its surcharge for local use. Naturally, I keep the
800 number non-pub, although it could be listed in the 800-555-1212 data
base for a few dollars per month if I was running a company.

If a call sent not-paid from elsewhere is going to last more than a minute
or two, then the Calling Card rates turn out to be a better deal. I also
have my Calling Card (both restricted and unrestricted PINs) tied into
my Reach Out America service, meaning in the middle of the night, or weekends
the use of the card is almost always a better deal than 800.

But there is another catch: These days, the rotten AOS people are likely
to seize your call, *AT&T card or not* and divert it, charging whatever
they can get away with. So if my sister uses my restricted PIN to call me
late at night from a payphone in Florida where she lives, I am at the
mercy of whoever controls the payphone, am I not? Maybe she gets AT&T, and
maybe not. If billed by AT&T, great; if billed by Telesphere or such, who
knows how much I will pay? At least with the 800 number, most AOS outfits
just pass them along; and my rate has been fixed at 21 cents by the carrier.
So I answer, and if the party is calling on the 800 number, I take their
number, hang up and call them right back on my Reach Out account. In
summary, there is no rule that 800 has to be for businesses only, and it
actually gives me more flexibility in accepting incoming 'collect' calls
without worrying about the cost. I think its a great deal.   PT]

jimmy@icjapan.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (09/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0350m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> clements@bbn.com writes:

>This has been bothering me for a few days now.  Could someone please explain
>why in the world one would want an 800 number in one's home?

>[Moderator's Note: Depending on the time of day and other circumstances,
>an 800 number is less expensive than an incoming call on a Calling Card.

Maybe this belongs in soc.singles, but many people have 800 numbers so
that they can give them to members of the desired sex.  I find it
convenient to give a woman my 800 number so that she doesn't have to
pay to call me.  Sure, I could always say "Call me collect", but many
people are unwilling to make a collect call but will happily call an
800 number (even though it's the same thing).

                         Jim Gottlieb (remote from Tokyo)
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
       <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
Fax: 011-81-3-239-7453               Voice Mail: 011-81-3-944-6221 ID#82-42-424

rock@uunet.uu.net (Roger Rock Rosner) (09/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0350m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> clements@bbn.com writes:

>This has been bothering me for a few days now.  Could someone please explain
>why in the world one would want an 800 number in one's home?

>[Moderator's Note: Depending on the time of day and other circumstances,
>an 800 number is less expensive than an incoming call on a Calling Card.

In fact, it can be significantly cheaper.  My company has found Sprint
800 service compares very favorably with daytime direct dial rates,
and furthermore installation of the service is free until next month
(however there is a $10/month fee).  Thus for families with members
widely dispersed, the personal 800 number makes a lot of practical
sense.

rrr

P.S. I have no business connections with Sprint...

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0384m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, pyrdc!lighthouse!
lighthouse.com!rock@uunet.uu.net (Roger Rock Rosner) writes:
> >[Moderator's Note: Depending on the time of day and other circumstances,
> >an 800 number is less expensive than an incoming call on a Calling Card.
>
> In fact, it can be significantly cheaper.  My company has found Sprint
> 800 service compares very favorably with daytime direct dial rates,

And in fact, within California, AT&T's 800 offering's off-peak rate
(9PM-9AM M-F, all weekend) is significantly cheaper than *anyone's*
night rate. I have had their service for years and is a considerable
savings over all the gagle of standard LD offerings. AND it has the
added plus of allowing me to call home to check my machine with total
convenience and avoidance of AOS. It is billed in 0.1 min increments.

On the minus side, it costs about $170 to install and requires a
dedicated loop. However, is can be used in conjunction with Commstar
II (as mine is).

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !