[comp.dcom.telecom] Area Code Splits and N0X/N1X Prefixes

tom@pdx.mentor.com (Tom Ace) (09/21/89)

In Telecom Digest V9 #376, Greg Monti (via John R. Covert) wrote:

>My understanding of Area Code splits is that Bellcore hands out new
>Area Codes when the controlling Local Operating Company for that Area
>Code can prove that it is within a certain percent of running out of
>numbers, *assuming that the existing number base is being used in the
>most efficient possible way.* I would imagine that Bellcore strongly
>suggests that prefixes with a 1 or 0 as the second digit be
>implemented first, before splitting the Area Code, since this
>maximizes the number base within the NPA and minimizes the number of
>times the nation at large must endure NPA splits.

This may very well be the way it is, but it sounds like Bad Thinking
to me.  In many cases, it is possible to anticipate enough future need
for new telephone numbers in an area to know that allowing N0X and N1X
prefixes will only delay an inevitable area code split.  In New York
City, only a couple of years elapsed between when they added the new
prefixes (requiring 1-plus dialing for long distance) and when 212 was
split into 212 and 718.  Adding the prefixes did not help to minimize
the number of area code splits, it only postponed a split, and at a
cost.

The cost I'm referring two took these forms:

1-plus dialing became mandatory for long distance calls from New York
City.  Before the N0X and N1X prefixes were added, New York City had
dialing the way God intended it: just dial the number, with or without
an area code, no 1-plus required.

To make an operator-assisted local call in New York City, you must now
always include an area code, even if it's your own.  For example, if
you're at a phone in the 212 area, and want to dial an operator-assisted
local call to 802-1234, you will dial 0-212-802-1234.  (Contrast this to
the way it was handled in Los Angeles: the same 0-plus dialing pattern as
before, no need to include the area code if it's your own, but if it's a
local call to an N0X or N1X exchange, the CO will recognize this by timing
out after the seventh digit of the phone number is dialed.  Neither solution
is elegant.)

The N0X and N1X exchanges are ugly.  Most telephone users hadn't ever
seen them before.  Telling your phone number to someone sometimes
caused them to think they'd heard wrong, because they'd never seen
such an animal before.

When New York City's area code was split, the heart of the city
(Manhattan) retained the original 212 area code.  That also seemed to
be the aim in other area code splits that I observed.  When Colorado
split into two area codes, I noted that Denver and the rest of
northern Colorado retained the 303 area code, but a different reason
for this was given in a newspaper article: it was said that the
greater need for new numbers was in the south.  This prompted me to
write a letter to the Mountain Bell executive quoted in the newspaper.
I've reproduced my letter and his response below.

Other writers in this digest have recommended the experience of
touring a central office.  I add the following fun suggestion: write a
personal letter to your friendly BOC CEO.

Tom Ace
tom@sje.mentor.com
 ...!mntgfx!sje!tom

                =================================
My letter:
                                             (303) 499-1919
                                             710 South 42 Street
                                             Boulder, CO  80303
                                             November 20, 1986

Solomon D. Trujillo
Mountain Bell
1005 17th Street
Denver, CO  80202

Dear Mr. Trujillo:

I saw your name in the newspaper associated with an announcement
that Colorado will be served by two area codes starting in 1988.

I had noticed that when New York and Los Angeles started to run out of
telephone numbers, new exchanges were created that had the form of
NPAs, i.e., with 0 or 1 as the second digit.  These actions only
postponed the invevitable splits into 212/718 and 213/818, and left
both areas with those ugly new exchanges and some awkward dialing
patterns for local operator-assisted calls.  I want to thank whoever
was responsible for deciding not to go that route here in Colorado.

I received a piece of literature enclosed with my latest phone bill,
advising of the coming area code split, and explaining that the
southern Colorado calling area will receive the new area code because
it was in that area that the most significant growth was occurring.
You and I know, though, that the northern calling area in which we
live is clearly where it's at, and will retain the 303 area code
because it deserves to.  I do appreciate, however, the need to explain
the choice tactfully, in a way that wouldn't offend those who live in
the other area.

Who makes these choices?  Did Mountain Bell select 719 from the few
remaining codes, or was the decision made by some central committee?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Thomas Ace

               ===================================
His response:

                                              Mountain Bell
                                              Solomon D. Trujillo
                                              Colorado VP and CEO
                                              December 4, 1986

Mr. Thomas Ace
710 South 42 Street
Boulder, Colorado 80303

Dear Mr. Ace:

Thank you for your letter regarding the Colorado area code split.  I
agree it's important to handle the transaction as smoothly as possible
and with as little customer disruption as possible.

I do not agree, however, on your reason for why the new area code goes
to the southern area.  The Colorado Springs area as our choice was
really as it was stated: the area is expecting significant aerospace
and other growth over the next few years.  They need the phone
numbers!

To answer your last question, we were assigned the 719 area code by
Bell Communications Resources in New Jersey.  One of its central
functions for the country is maintaining and assigning area codes.

Thank you so much for writing.  It always brightens my day to hear
from a customer with positive comments.

Sincerely,

S. D. Trujillo