[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Remarks in Clancy Novel

loughry@tramp.colorado.edu (J. Loughry) (09/18/89)

I found this tidbit in Tom Clancy's new novel, "Clear and Present Danger."
Jack Ryan (who lives near Annapolis, I believe) is out mowing the lawn when
he receives a call on his cordless phone.  He answers it, then:

	"Ryan terminated the call and placed one to his house, which had three
	lines.  It was, perversely, a long-distance call.  He needed a D.C.
	line for his work.  Cathy needed a Baltimore connection for hers, plus
	a local line for other matters."

Maybe someone can explain this to us Westerners.

Joe Loughry
loughry@tramp.colorado.edu

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (09/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0383m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>,
loughry@tramp.colorado.edu (J. Loughry) writes:
> 	"Ryan terminated the call and placed one to his house, which had three
> 	lines.  It was, perversely, a long-distance call.  He needed a D.C.
> 	line for his work.  Cathy needed a Baltimore connection for hers, plus
> 	a local line for other matters."
>
> Maybe someone can explain this to us Westerners.

The phone service around DC and Baltimore is a bit strange...  In many areas,
you get a choice of what kind of line you want, with different kinds having
different areas that are considered "local".  The quoted example sounds a
little stretched, but that kind of thing does happen in these parts :-)...

Amanda Walker
amanda@intercon.com

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (09/19/89)

edu (J. Loughry) writes:
> I found this tidbit in Tom Clancy's new novel, "Clear and Present Danger."
> Jack Ryan (who lives near Annapolis, I believe) is out mowing the lawn when
> he receives a call on his cordless phone.  He answers it, then:
>
> 	"Ryan terminated the call and placed one to his house, which had three
> 	lines.  It was, perversely, a long-distance call.  He needed a D.C.
> 	line for his work.  Cathy needed a Baltimore connection for hers, plus
> 	a local line for other matters."
>
> Maybe someone can explain this to us Westerners.
>
> Joe Loughry
> loughry@tramp.colorado.edu

Clearly this is an example of using FX (Foreign eXchange) lines.  Jack
had an FX Line which terminated in Washington DC, and Cathy had an
FX line which terminated in Baltimore.

Perhaps someone else out there in netland could give a better
description of an FX line, but here goes my explanation...

An FX line is a suscriber line which terminates in a central office
other than the central office which provides local access to the
telephone network.  These numbers are most often used by businesses
that have operations in another city which would justify the added
expense of one of these lines.  If you subscribe to this feature, you
would literally have a phone number which would be non-local.
Therefore, referring to Clancy's novel, in calling his own house from
his yard over an FX line, he would have to make a toll call.

Also, most people are familiar with this service as radio stations
often use this service -- especially stations that have large broadcast
areas.  I remember growing up and when the radio station would have
a contest, they would list six or seven numbers that listeners could
call into to win.  While each of these numbers was from a different
geographical area, they all terminated at the radio station.

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs
Standard Disclaimer

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (09/21/89)

Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com> writes:
%In article <telecom-v09i0383m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>,
%loughry@tramp.colorado.edu (J. Loughry) writes:
%> 	"Ryan terminated the call and placed one to his house, which had three
%> 	lines.  It was, perversely, a long-distance call.  He needed a D.C.
%> 	line for his work.  Cathy needed a Baltimore connection for hers, plus
%> 	a local line for other matters."

%> Maybe someone can explain this to us Westerners.

%The phone service around DC and Baltimore is a bit strange...  In many areas,
%you get a choice of what kind of line you want, with different kinds having
%different areas that are considered "local".  The quoted example sounds a
%little stretched, but that kind of thing does happen in these parts :-)...

When I read the book I just assumed that he had a electronic key system, with
a local line and 2 foreign exchange lines.  Yes, DC is wierd.

Mike Morris                      UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 ICBM: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     PSTN: 818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     cat flames.all > /dev/null