[comp.dcom.telecom] International 800 Service?

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (09/18/89)

I know there has been some discussion in the past, but I missed it.

Is there an equivalent to 800 service internationally.  Specifically,
Japan, Hong Kong and Holland.

*  Brian Jay Gould - Manager, Systems Support *
*  General Logistics International            *
*                                             *
* internet:  gould@pilot.njin.net             *
* Bitnet:    gould@jvncc.csc.org              *
* UUCP:      rutgers!pilot!gould              *
* phone:     (201) 403-1566                   *
* fax        (201) 403-1573                   *
*                                             *
* 103 Eisenhower Pkwy, Roseland, NJ  07068    *

[Moderator's Note: Do you mean domestically, within those countries for
calling within those countries, or do you mean to call from there to here
with the American business footing the bill, etc? Many countries have
some form of internal '800 service' including the UK where it is known as
'0800'.  PT]

rvdp@uunet.uu.net (Ronald vd Pol) (09/21/89)

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:

>Is there an equivalent to 800 service internationally.  Specifically,
>Japan, Hong Kong and Holland.
                       ^^^^^
Yes.

A Dutch business can buy a special telephone number in some foreign
countries (including the USA). This phone number has a special prefix
(see below). When anyone in the foreign country wants to phone the
Dutch business, he/she phones this special number and the Dutch business
will be billed (sometimes the caller pays the LOCAL call tariff, but
generally its free). So when a Dutch business wants people from eg UK, USA
and Finland to be able to phone them for free, the business must
explicitely buy phone numbers in the UK, USA and Finland and all three
numbers are different.

I think this holds for other countries too (eg USA has this option too).

country		prefix

Belgium		  11
Danmark		0430
Germany		0130
Finland		9800
France		1905
Norway		 050
UK		0800
USA		1800
Switserland	 046
Sweden		 020

		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>
These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is a long distance call....

From: campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell)
Subject: Re: Ancient Equipment Still in Service
Date: 21 Sep 89 01:42:05 GMT

Eight years ago, I spent a few nights in a hotel in Gort, Ireland.  Gort was
so small that ("How... small... was it?") the telephone number of the hotel
was 7.  That's not a typo; the number was 7.  (OK, they did have a second
line, and that number was 27.)

One night, I returned to the hotel about 1 AM and found it locked.  The town
wasn't too small to have an all-night donut shop crowded with policemen;
they told me to go to the phone booth down the street and tell the operator
to ring up the hotel manager at home.

I went to the phone booth and encountered -- a hand-cranked telephone!  With
no dial!  Just like you see in silent movies!  I had no idea how to work the
thing -- the instructions were completely obliterated by graffiti -- and it
took several experiments to discover that FIRST you turn the crank and THEN
you pick up the earpiece.  (I was doing it backwards.)

A few minutes after the operator rang him up for me, the hotel manager drove
up, looking a bit rumpled, and let me in.

Do I win the prize for Most Ancient Telephone Equipment Actually Observed
in Regular Operation This Decade?

Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street
wjh12!redsox!campbell                   Boston, MA 02146

[Moderator's Note: And you sir, win a lifetime subscription to TELECOM Digest.
Lucky you!  Thanks for a humorous close to this issue of the Digest. In
the Digest second edition for Friday, issued about 1:00 AM CDT, a detailed
discussion of telex, TWX, clock service and Western Union in general by
Larry Lippman and others.  PT]