[comp.dcom.telecom] enterprise numbers

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) (09/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0393m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, emv@math.lsa.umich.edu
(Edward Vielmetti) writes:
> What's the story on those (rare) numbers that I see listed in the
> phone book as something like this:

> Foonly Enterprises		call Operator and ask for
 				Enterprise 2368
*****PT's reply
> Enterprise service is no longer offered, but is grandfathered to subscribers
> who want to keep it for some reason instead of 800 service.   PT]

I beg to differ.  In the metro Detroit area, the Federal Government still
uses enterprise numbers.  The FAA uses them so that pilots at several
major aiports, but are a toll call away, to call Flight Service to open
or close their flight plans.

They used different enterprise numbers depending on your location.  There
wasn't one number for everyone in the county to call.  Since I use to work
for the FAA at Pontiac Tower, I used to have to pass these numbers out
quite frequently.

[Moderator's Note: But I think what I said was they are no longer available
in new service. Organizations with 'Enterprise' numbers have had them for
many years. I seriously doubt you can go and order the service today. If
you already have it, you can keep it until you decide to get rid of it,
or discontinue the service to which it is associated or linked.  PT]