[comp.dcom.telecom] Hello Direct Catalog

rrw@eecs.nwu.edu (Robert Wier) (02/12/89)

 Hello Telecomers --

 I recently received a new catalog from a company called Hello Direct
(800-444-3556)(800-HI-HELLO), located in San Jose,
 which contains a number of products relevent
 to topics discussed in recent months on the net.

 Some of the more interesting items they have listed are:

 A call forwarding re-router which can be changed from remote
 locations.  Requires a single line with Centrex type call forwarding
 at Central Office. $149 (Not sure if this would work with standard
 TT ESS equip.  Anyone know?)

 A 2 line call forwarder that will work without Centrex for $355.

 A voice mail system which runs on a PC $349

 Automatic Call timer (start/stop when phone goes off/on hook) $30

 Group III battery operated FAX machine with celluar phone adaptor,
 about $1600

 Various combinations of phone sets without dials, and restricted
 access phones $70 - $160

 Call restrictors - Since there has been a lot of interest in these on
 the net, I will include an extended description.
 The single line model can be custom programmed.
 Factory settings disallows 976: 1 or 0 followed by 976, area code
 followed by 976. 900: 1 or 0 followed by 900.  1 plus area code
 (long distance).  411: 1 followed by 411, 555: 1 or 0 followed by
 555;  1 or 0 followed by area code and 555 (directory assistance).
 Has capacity to allow/disallow up to 23 different phone number of 21
 digits, or other combinations of phone numbers up to 484 digits.
 Remote programming with security code (5 digits).  Override passcode
 (4 digits).  Rotary or TT programmable.  Also allows timed calls from
 1 to 15 minutes.
 (note- Can't tell if it is battery operated or not.  The picture does
 not look as if it contains a battery...there have been problems reported
 with other battery powered units that the call restriction goes away when
 the battery goes dead).

 ________________

 I note in a recent catalog that Fordham Radio (800-645-9518)
 also has a "remote access call diverter" at a price of $149,
 which requires two lines, allows remote programming of
 numbers, and gives positive disconnect at the end of the call.

 .
 STRONG DISCLAIMER:  I have no connection with HELLO DIRECT or FORDHAM, and am
 *NOT* recommending their products.  I, in fact, have not actually
 seen any of these units.  But it might be worthwhile getting their
 catalog if you have any interest along these lines.

 -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona         Northern Arizona University
  ...arizona!naucse!rrw |  BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | *usual disclaimers*

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (09/21/89)

The Fall, 1989 issue of the 'Hello Direct' catalog appeared in my
mailbox a few days ago. I can't stress enough that this is 'must
reading' for everyone interested in telephone equipment, supplies, and
just plain gimmicks.

These 48 page catalogs are published four times a year, and make
fascinating reading even if you do not order anything; but frankly, it
is pretty hard to resist getting something.

Their prices are a bit steep for some items, but everything appears to
be top quality: no discount electronics, etc.

To get a copy: 1-800-444-3556   aka 1-800-HI-HELLO

>From outside the USA, call 408-972-1990.  FAX to 408-972-8155.

Hello Direct
140 Great Oaks Blvd.
San Jose, CA 95119  USA

Patrick Townson

tim@ncrcan.toronto.ncr.com (09/22/89)

> TELECOM Digest     Thu, 21 Sep 89 02:15:48 CDT    Volume 9 : Issue 392

> Date:     Thu, 21 Sep 89 1:06:31 CST
> Subject:  Hello Direct Catalog

> The Fall, 1989 issue of the 'Hello Direct' catalog appeared in my
> mailbox a few days ago.
> To get a copy: 1-800-444-3556   aka 1-800-HI-HELLO
> >From outside the USA, call 408-972-1990.  FAX to 408-972-8155.

ola y'all,

I have a found out a few things about Hello Direct that any non-Americans
might want to know:

     1) the 800 number is an international 800.  I called from Canada.
     2) Hello Direct will not ship out of the USA, nor will they put
        you on their mailing list, but at least they will send out
        their catalogue.

    tha's all fer now,

=================
tim (nelson)     | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada       | internet     tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000   | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 2E2
=================
* Have a good day, and a great forever.

[Moderator's Note: I was amazed to receive this note. I can't imagine why
they would refuse to sell/ship to international addresses, provided of
course the purchaser paid for any extra shipping charges; made his check
payable in United States dollars; allowed time for clearing and shipping,
etc. If what you say is true, that eliminates about twenty percent of our
readership here as potential customers.

I'd suggest asking Sue Britto, their Direct Marketing Coordinator for a
response on this. Maybe the order-taker was in error. Or perhaps someone
else from that organization will reply. Sue's number is 408-972-1990.  PT]