[comp.dcom.telecom] Western Union City Codes

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0394m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.
com (Mark H. Weber) writes:
> The instructions for registering in the UUCP  ".US"  domain indicate that
> city codes assigned are Western Unions' "City Codes". Is there a reference
> available for these codes, or a number to call to find out what the city
> code is for a particular city? I called my local Western Union office, but
> the operator had no idea what a "city code" was.

	Well, one would think that someone in a Western Union office would
have a listing of Western Union city codes, huh?

	I guess this must be a symptom of WU's "poor health".

	In any event, if one really cares, they can find a complete listing
of all WU city codes in any WU Telex Directory.  There are over TEN THOUSAND
WU city codes for the U.S. and Canada, which range from "AAAI" (Auburn, IN)
tp "ZUMB" (Zumbrota, MN).  There is one code which begins with a number,
"150M" (150 Mile House, BC).  I bet y'all wanted to know that one! :-)

	Personally, I think the WU city codes are an anachronism since
Zip Code seems to be universally used for localization for any physical
delivery system.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"