[comp.dcom.telecom] Toll Subscriber Line Service

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0398m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> the Telecom Moderator
writes:
> [Moderator's Note: A curiosity when I was employed by the University of
> Chicago Telecommunications Department (then, in 1959-61 they just called
> it the 'telephone room') were the two TWX machines.
> ...  We plugged in on our board to tie-lines which went straight
> to certain positions at telco. They knew it was UC calling, and all we had
> to pass was the caller's extension number; then we could cut out and go
> on to other calls. Once an hour, the aforementioned TWX would come to life
> and a message would print out listing 'time and charges by extension'. We
> took this and matched it with the toll tickets we started when first
> putting the call through. All this machine was ever used for was to bring
> us the time and charges, for billing purposes to the campus extensions.
> IBT billed the campus master account; we re-billed each department.  PT]

	This service, which must be pretty rare by now, was referred to
as "Toll Subscriber Line Service".  The tie lines were ground-start trunks
at the PBX end (for either manual and/or dial level access), and terminated
in special toll subscriber trunks at a No. 1 or No. 3 Toll Board, or in
later years at a TSPS installation.  Since these toll subscriber trunks
served specific locations, the toll operator obviously knew where the call
had originated.

	Prior to TSPS, the originator of the call never dialed any digits;
they gave the desired number to the operator along with their room or
extension number, and the call was completed by the operator in a manner
no different than dialing "0".  Once per hour, toll tickets from toll
subscriber customers would be collected from toll board operators, the
call rated, and charges transmitted to the subscriber PBX via a teletype
or by having an operator call the PBX attendant.  Teletypes were simply a
point-to-point manual link, and were only used in higher traffic
installations.  The PBX subscriber paid an additional rate for this
service.

	As TSPS became more common, toll subscriber line service permitted
the originator of the call to dial the desired number into a toll trunk
and register, with the TSPS operator coming on the line only to ask for
room or extension number.  It was not possible to eliminate the operator
since there was no ANI from the PBX to indicate the room or extension
identity.

	In the late 1970's the Bell System offered a totally automatic
toll subscriber service called HOBIS (Hotel Billing Information System)
which required no TSPS operator intervention.  HOBIS automatically
transmitted calling data to a teletype as it occurred.  HOBIS did require
the subscriber PBX to have ANI or SMDR capability; I don't know the exact
details, however.

	Most of the toll subscriber line customers were hotels, with the
rest being universities, hospitals and similar facilities.  With the
extensive use of electronic PABX's having SMDR and call-costing capability,
toll subscriber lines are pretty much a thing of the past as hotels and
other subscribers are quite capable of determining toll charges on their
own.  Also, the advent of divestiture, ALDS and AOS has totally changed
the picture; since the philosophy behind HOBIS does not exactly fit in
this picture, HOBIS may well be dead.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

[Moderator's Note: Well, that was a heavy traffic location. We had
about 4000 campus extensions; three separate groups of incoming CO trunks
(MIdway-3-0800, MUseum 4-6100, NOrmal 7-4700, with about 250 incoming
CO trunks between them. The 'Midway board' served the main campus with
about 2500 extensions spaced over nine positions; the 'Museum board' had
about 1000-1200 extensions and served the Medical Center on six positions;
and the 'Normal board' had a mere three positions serving maybe 500 phones
at the Enrico Fermi Labs and the Computation Center. All sixteen or
eighteen positions (I forget exactly) had tie-trunks to each other, of
course, so that a caller in the 8000 series of extensions (Fermi) reached
the 2000 series of extensions (main campus) by going off hook and asking
for the desired extension. The operator who took the call would select a
tie-trunk to a position on the other side of the room. When that operator
came on, she did not speak: you knew she was there because you heard a
'click' in your ear, and you would repeat "2374", or whatever your caller
had told you. As fast as you could say the 'two three' part of it, she
already had the cord up to that strip. When you got the 'seven four' part
out, she was testing for busy with the jack. If she heard a click, the
line was busy and she would so quote; otherwise she shoved in the jack
and was ringing it. I dare say manual service with *trained* operators
was just as fast as dial service; maybe faster sometimes.  By around 1962
the extensions at least could dial each other and outside local calls
even though the operators still took incoming and long distance stuff. PT]