[comp.dcom.telecom] How Hugo Affected Telecom Service

thomas@mvac23.uucp (Thomas Lapp) (09/26/89)

Martin B Weiss <mbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu> writes:
> My parents live on the SW corner of Puerto Rico.  They had minimal damage
> due to Hugo, as they were over 100 miles from the eye.  I haven't yet gotten
> through to them on MCI, although, using 10288, I have been successful several
> times with AT&T.

I noticed the same thing in trying to call my sister in Chapel Hill, NC
the night after the storm went through.  I kept getting a fast-busy when
using MCI, but ATT went right through.

I wonder if MCI was just getting more traffic through than it could
handle or whether some major trunks were down.  Of course this is a
sample of 2 which doesn't make it significant, but I would be curious
to know how fast the major telecom carriers get back up in the affected
areas.
                         - tom

internet: mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp    : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas
Location: Newark, DE, USA
Quote   : NOTICE: System will have a scheduled disk crash at 4:45pm today.