[comp.dcom.telecom] Wrong Numbers With Nobody Talking

slf@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Sharon Lynne Fisher) (09/21/89)

I moved a couple of months back, and I've had a weird problem since then.  I
get lots of wrong numbers.  Some of them are the normal "Is Joe there?" and
I say no and the person goes away.  But the vast majority of them have no
voice at all.  I pick up the phone, hear a faint 'clickclickclick' in the
background, and nothing happens, so I hang up.  On my answering machine,
I don't get any message either; just those faint sounds.  I thought perhaps
it was people calling me from a computer, but then I'd hear a modem tone,
wouldn't I?  Incidentally, I get these calls both long-distance and local.
Anybody have any idea what's going on?

If you're going to respond by mail, please reply to
sharon@asylum.sf.ca.us rather than to the address on this header. Thanks.

"Goldfish are quiet, under the water.
Girls who keep goldfish are often quite noisy."
                          -- The Jazz Butcher

[Moderator's Note: But we prefer replies here, so if you write Sharon, please
copy the Digest. Thanks.   PT]

eli@chipcom.com (09/22/89)

Sharon asked who (or what) might be calling her phone number and then
not talking (or "tone"-ing").  My guess is that someone has published
her phone number incorrectly as a FAX number.  When fax machines
initiate a call, they first *listen* for a faxmodem tone from the line
they have called.  If no tone is heard, they just hang up.  (I think.)

So, Sharon -- you might try plugging in a fax machine into your line
during the periods when you receive these mystery calls.  If a fax
comes through, you'll be able to track down the company who published
your number as their fax number.

-- Steve Elias
-- eli@chipcom.com  (for Chipcom / networking related mail)
-- eli@spdcc.com    (for metroboston email2fax and personal mail)
-- voice mail: 617 932 5598
-- work phone: 617 890 6844

dritchey@ihlpb.att.com (Donald L Ritchey) (09/23/89)

well!slf@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Sharon Lynne Fisher):
In article (Message-ID:  <telecom-v09i0393m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>), you wrote

> I moved a couple of months back, and I've had a weird problem since then.  I
> get lots of wrong numbers.  Some of them are the normal "Is Joe there?" and
> I say no and the person goes away.  But the vast majority of them have no
> voice at all.  I pick up the phone, hear a faint 'clickclickclick' in the
> background, and nothing happens, so I hang up.  On my answering machine,
> I don't get any message either; just those faint sounds.  I thought perhaps
> it was people calling me from a computer, but then I'd hear a modem tone,
> wouldn't I?  Incidentally, I get these calls both long-distance and local.
> Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Originating modems do not emit tones on connection.  Terminating (or
answering) modems answer the call with one of a variety of tones to
indicate the type of modem and its desired speed of connection (300,
1200, 2400, or other).  The clicking you hear in the earpiece is
probably the modem switching its various filters in and out of circuit
to determine what type of modem it is connected to.  Try whistling a
low, continuous tone into the mouthpiece (and varying the frequency you
whistle) and see if you get the other end to start its transmission
speed negotiation preamble (that will definitely identify the other end
as a modem).  I have used that trick to see if connections I was trying
to debug were getting through to a modem, when I couldn't bridge a
speaker or butt set onto the line.

I don't design or work with modems other than as a user, so I may be
wrong on the explanations of the clicking.  I can speak from experience
about the originating modems not generating tones, unless some of the
newer, fancier modems that have come into use in the last few years do
things differently.

Don Ritchey       dritchey@cbnewsc.att.com
(or in real life) dritchey@ihlpb.att.com
AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-409
Naperville, IL 60566
(312) 979-6179

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (09/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0393m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:

> I moved a couple of months back, and I've had a weird problem since then.  I
> get lots of wrong numbers.  Some of them are the normal "Is Joe there?" and
> I say no and the person goes away.  But the vast majority of them have no
> voice at all.  I pick up the phone, hear a faint 'clickclickclick' in the
> background, and nothing happens, so I hang up.  On my answering machine,
> I don't get any message either; just those faint sounds.  I thought perhaps
> it was people calling me from a computer, but then I'd hear a modem tone,
> wouldn't I? ...

No, you would very probably not hear a modem tone, if a modem were
dialing you.

With most modems in use today, the _answering_ modem is responsible for
sending the first tone, after it goes off-hook.  The type of answer-tone
transmitted identifies the protocol(s) that the answering modem is able
to use.  The originating modem "hears" the answer tone, chooses a protocol,
and begins transmitting its carrier.  The answering modem "hears" the
originator's carrier, stops sending the answer-tone, and begins
transmitting its carrier.  If, on the other hand, the originating modem
never "hears" an answer tone, it will never "know" that the call has
been answered, and will simply disconnect after 30 seconds or a minute
and report a "NO CARRIER" situation to its pilot.

So, a local- or long-distance call with nothing but silence on the other
end could very well be from a modem.  There are a couple of relatively
common ways that you can end up with numerous calls of this type:

1) Somebody at a specific computer site has misprogrammed one of their
   outdial modems... for example, transposing a digit in the
   phone-number used to contact one of their "neighbor" systems.  If
   this has occurred, most of all of the calls you receive will be from
   the same exchange (either all local, or all long-distance), and
   there's a fairly good chance that they'll stop after a few weeks.
   The sysadmin of the offending system will (probably) notice that a
   large number of calls aren't getting through, will figure out the
   problem, and will correct his/her dialer-file.

2) The phone numbers for computer-hobbyist "bulletin board" systems tend
   to be passed around between personal-computer users.  Bulletin-board
   systems tend to come and go fairly frequently... the survival time
   for a BBS tends to be measured in months.

   If the phone number for a BBS is circulated widely, then there may be
   literally thousands of people who have a copy of the number.  If that
   BBS then goes out of service (for example, if its owner/sysop moves),
   then the phone number will often be given out to someone who is
   having phone service installed.  Subsequently, the new "owner" of
   this number will receive many, MANY phone-calls from computer
   hobbyists who aren't aware that the BBS is out of service.

I rather suspect that you're facing the second of these situations,
since you seem to be receiving calls from both local and long-distance
sources.  The only really effective solution of which I'm aware is to
ask the phone company to give you a different phone number.  They'll
probably charge you for the service-change, since they can legitimately
argue that the problem is not _their_ fault.

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

[Moderator's Note: Some telcos, like Illinois Bell, will change a
subscriber's number once for free, if the subscriber complains of
receiving nuisance or obscene calls. The original correspondent's
complaint would probably fit in this category.  PT]

rce10845@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert C Elliott) (09/23/89)

That is probably a modem calling you.  The clicking sound is from the modem
trying to determine if the phone is ringing, voice answer, or another
modem.

Only an answering modem puts out a tone right away; the originating
modem responds only when it hears that tone.  That's why you don't hear
any modem tones.

Rob Elliott: rce10845@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (summer: rob@embossed.com)

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (09/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0393m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, well!slf@lll-crg.llnl.
gov (Sharon Lynne Fisher) writes:
> I thought perhaps it was people calling me from a computer, but
> then I'd hear a modem tone, wouldn't I?...

No, Sharon, a modem originating a call to another modem remains
silent, and expects the answering modem to make a tone first. (Much
like people ... the answering party generally speaks first.)

Your calls may, in deed, be coming from a modem, or perhaps a fax
machine.  If it's convenient, you might wish to let your modem
answer, and see if the calling person or device responds to its
answer tone with a carrier.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0393m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, well!slf@lll-crg.llnl.
gov (Sharon Lynne Fisher) writes:
> I don't get any message either; just those faint sounds.  I thought perhaps
> it was people calling me from a computer, but then I'd hear a modem tone,
> wouldn't I?  Incidentally, I get these calls both long-distance and local.
> Anybody have any idea what's going on?

How do you know that they're long distance or local? Anyway, it could
be a modem calling you (like a wrong number in someone's Systems file!)
and you would hear nothing when you answered. Remember, an originating
modem needs to hear the answering modem's tone before it will speak. If
you have a modem, you might let it answer your phone for awhile and see
if something connects with it:-)

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

rog@ucsd.edu (Roger Haaheim) (09/23/89)

Sounds like an autodialer listening for a "modem carrier";  when it
doesn't get one, it hangs up and goes on to the next number.

sharon@asylum.sf.ca.us (Sharon Fisher) (09/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0399m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> john@zygot.ati.com
(John Higdon) writes:
>How do you know that they're long distance or local?

Just a guess, really, but some of the calls sound real clear and some
have those "seashell up to your ear" sounds that I associate with long
distance calls.

>Anyway, it could
>be a modem calling you (like a wrong number in someone's Systems file!)
>and you would hear nothing when you answered. Remember, an originating
>modem needs to hear the answering modem's tone before it will speak. If
>you have a modem, you might let it answer your phone for awhile and see
>if something connects with it:-)

Maybe next time I'm away for a weekend.  I'd rather not do that during
the week because I get many business calls and I'd hate to miss one.
I've also gotten several postings by e-mail suggesting the same thing
(plus one suggesting it might be a fax machine).  Thanks...

            - Sharon Fischer -

len@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Leonard P Levine) (09/27/89)

 From article <telecom-v09i0406m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, by sharon@asylum.sf.
ca.us (Sharon Fisher):
>>Anyway, it could
>>be a modem calling you (like a wrong number in someone's Systems file!)
>>and you would hear nothing when you answered. Remember, an originating
>>modem needs to hear the answering modem's tone before it will speak. If
>>you have a modem, you might let it answer your phone for awhile and see
>>if something connects with it:-)

I know that you can whistle a modem up.  Try responding to this no voice
caller with a swept frequency whistle.  Often modems will "hook up" and
then disconnect when you do it.  A click, a bleep and a hangup will
result.

| Leonard P. Levine                  e-mail len@evax.cs.uwm.edu |
| Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170 |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719 |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              FAX    (414) 229-6958 |