[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID in Maryland

kenj%wybbs.UUCP@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Ken Jongsma) (09/13/89)

No editorializing! From this weeks Communicaions Week: Bell Atlantic has
filed for Caller ID in Maryland. It along with all the other CLASS services
will be available around Baltimore next month. Washington suburbs get it in
November with the rest of the state to follow as SS7 is implemented.

alexb@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Alex Beylin) (09/28/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0373m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> kenj%wybbs.UUCP@sharkey.
cc.umich.edu (Ken Jongsma) writes:

>No editorializing! From this weeks Communicaions Week: Bell Atlantic has
>filed for Caller ID in Maryland. It along with all the other CLASS services
>will be available around Baltimore next month. Washington suburbs get it in
>November with the rest of the state to follow as SS7 is implemented.

Does anyone know if Michigan Bell is planning to file for Caller ID?
If not, is there a way to speed that up, like writing to someone to
indicate interest?

Also, from a technical standpoint, what is involved in providing the
service?  Are any updates required to the CO equipment?

Thanks in advance,

 Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 948-3386
 alexb%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 ...!{sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!alexb    | MIS, Distributed Systems
 ATT Mail ID: attmail!abeylin           | Southfield, MI 48034

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (10/02/89)

Regarding the question about what is required at the CO for CLASS
services, I asked a rep at US West in Seattle recently about this.

They said that the 5ESS is already equipped for it, but that they
will be buying new software from AT&T.  Some of the other offices
will probably require retrofit to make them compatible.  One problem
in this area is making sure that the US West and GTE offices in the
area all talk to each other and send ANI.

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP
MCI Mail: 3288544