[comp.dcom.telecom] Splits of NNX?

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/19/89)

N0X/N1X:

I am also NOT aware of N0X/N1X prefixes in use in the following
splits after 1980:
305/407 in Florida
303/719 in Colorado

The only splits from 1965 thru 1981 are:
305/904 in Florida in 1965 (305 was split again last year to form 407)
703/804 in Virginia in 1973 (N0X/N1X has since come to DC area, with
   some of those prefixes coming to Va. suburbs, in 703)

[Moderator's Note: The 703/804 split was the first, nearly twenty five years
ago, if memory serves me. Then the 305/904 split. Then none for many years,
until the one in New York. Is my timing correct?  PT]

dattier@jolnet.orpk.il.us (David Tamkin) (09/25/89)

 From Carl Moore, in volume 9, issue 389:

| I am also NOT aware of N0X/N1X prefixes in use in the following
| splits after 1980:
| 305/407 in Florida
| 303/719 in Colorado

[The absence of N0X/N1X in the 617/508 split had been noted before.]

| The only splits from 1965 thru 1981 are:
| 305/904 in Florida in 1965 (305 was split again last year to form 407)
| 703/804 in Virginia in 1973 (N0X/N1X has since come to DC area, with
|    some of those prefixes coming to Va. suburbs, in 703)

And 713/409 in Texas in perhaps the mid-'70's, and 714/619 in California
around 1979 or 1980.

| [Moderator's Note: The 703/804 split was the first, nearly twenty five years
| ago, if memory serves me. Then the 305/904 split. Then none for many years,
| until the one in New York. Is my timing correct?  PT]

I think the very first split was 404/912 in Georgia.

Probably the only splits where N0X/N1X prefixes *were* used first have been
213/818, 212/718, 312/708, and 201/908 (unless one considers the change from
seven-digit to eleven-digit interstate dialing in metropolitan DC a "split").
NNX adherence seems to be the rule rather than the exception: I believe
214/903 and 415/510 will be splitting without use of N0X/N1X.

David Tamkin   dattier@jolnet.orpk.il.us  {attctc,netsys,ddsw1}!jolnet!dattier
P. O. Box 813  Rosemont, Illinois  60018-0813   (312) 693-0591  (708) 518-6769
BIX: dattier                   GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN               CIS: 73720,1570
Jolnet is a public access system, where every user expresses personal opinions.

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/27/89)

(This is primarily in answer to David Tamkin's comments).

714/619 in California was in 1982
713/409 in Texas was in 1983
(my list appearing in telecom had these)

When was 404/912 done?  I had never heard of that one before.
Does anyone in Bellcore know about the splits occurring before
305/904 in 1965?

No, 214 area DOES have N0X/N1X prefixes, although these may be limited
to Dallas area rather than popping up in distant places like Tyler and
Texarkana.  Also, 415 did prepare for N0X/N1X (I have not yet come
across any such prefixes, however).

Earlier mail to telecom said that the inter-areacode local calls in DC
area will be TEN (not eleven) digits, where the leading 1+ is left
off.  Toll calls require the leading 1+.  I called this an areacode
split because area code 202 is being reduced to DC proper (to allow
for previously-forbidden prefix duplication), and will no longer be
available for suburban points.

 -Carl Moore

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/28/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0411m08@vector.dallas.tx.us> dattier@jolnet.orpk.
il.us (David Tamkin) writes:
>I think the very first split was 404/912 in Georgia.

If you want to go all the way back, the 0th split was probably
201/609.  The earliest NPA maps apparently had all of New Jersey in
201, but they split it before many people even had DDD.  One thing
I've always wondered about was why 201 is a single LATA, while 609,
which has about half as many phones and prefixes, it split into two.
I suppose it's because 609 has a strip of nearly uninhabited Pine
Barrens down the middle which makes it easy to split, but it's a pain.
The eastern 609 LATA is a tiny strip running about 65 miles down the
coast with the only town of any size being Atlantic City.  I happen to
have a beach house near there and almost every call I make is an
inter-lata toll call.  At least they all go toward my Sprint Plus
volume discount.

This situation also makes for some interesting dialing.  From my
parents' house in Princeton NJ in the western 609 LATA, when you dial
a regular seven digit number it might be:

	* a free local intra-lata call
	* a free local inter-lata call, since local calls into adjacent
	  prefixes in 201 can still be dialed without the area code
	* an intra-lata toll call
	* an inter-lata toll call

It makes it hard to tell how much to expect to pay.

Local calls across the NPA boundary can be dialed without the area
code all along the line in New Jersey, and since there are still
several NNX prefixes that are assigned neither in 201 nor 609, this
seems unlikely to change.  609 does not have NXX prefixes but 201
does, and in at least one case an NXX prefix in Toms River (201) is
dialable from Barnegat (609) without an area code; I guess they had to
put in a special case timeout.

John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu
Massachusetts has 64 licensed drivers who are over 100 years old.  -The Globe

pf@islington-terrace.csc.ti.com (Paul Fuqua) (10/01/89)

  Date: Monday, September 25, 1989  11:12am (CDT)
  From: David Tamkin <dattier at jolnet.orpk.il.us>
  Subject: Re: Splits of NNX?

  Probably the only splits where N0X/N1X prefixes *were* used first have been
  213/818, 212/718, 312/708, and 201/908 (unless one considers the change from
  seven-digit to eleven-digit interstate dialing in metropolitan DC a "split").
  NNX adherence seems to be the rule rather than the exception: I believe
  214/903 and 415/510 will be splitting without use of N0X/N1X.

N0X/N1X has been in use in 214 for something around a year now;  my
sister used to have numbers in 214-506 and 214-702 (Irving).  It's
probably easier here than in some other places, since we've had
eleven-digit long-distance as long as I can remember.

The one noticeable change related to the approaching split is that
calling Metro numbers (local to both Dallas (214) and Fort Worth (817))
now requires ten digits from the "other" area code -- Metro prefixes
won't be duplicated in both anymore.

Paul Fuqua                     pf@csc.ti.com
                               {smu,texsun,cs.utexas.edu,rice}!ti-csl!pf
Texas Instruments Computer Science Center
PO Box 655474 MS 238, Dallas, Texas 75265

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/02/89)

Mail to johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us failed (invalid host name),
but this message is of general interest:

Earlier messages to telecom said that 7 digit local calls from 201
area across NPA boundary were being changed to 11 digits to help
with prefix shortage while awaiting 201/908 split.  I heard nothing
about local calls from 609 area across NPA boundary, however.
The use of 1 before area code was applied to 609 as well as to 201;
a message to me said "statewide uniformity" as to why this was done,
before I noticed 2 N0X/N1X prefixes in Toms River, just a 7 digit
local call from Barnegat (609 area); in other words, no special
timeout on such local call.