[comp.dcom.telecom] Precise Dial Tone & A Tone of the Past: No-Such-Number

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0395m09@vector.dallas.tx.us> gabe@sirius.ctr.columbia.
edu (Gabe Wiener) writes:
> Does anyone know when the common telephone dialtone (i.e. 350Hz and 440Hz
> played together) was adopted?

	The standardization of dial tone to a dual frequency of 350 Hz
and 440 Hz with a transmission level of -13 dbm was first proposed by
AT&T and developed into CCITT Document AP III-84.  I don't know the
exact date of this CCITT standard, and don't have a copy handy, but I
believe it was around 1963.  This standard applies only to North
America, however.  Many European and other countries use a single
frequency, most commonly 425 Hz.

	In is important to understand that this dial tone is produced
by LINEAR mixing of two sinusoidal tone sources of 350 Hz and 440 Hz,
and is NOT one frequency modulated by the other, which was the method
employed with many previous dial tone supplies.  The reason for the
linear mixing is to reduce harmonics which may fall into the DTMF
frequency domain and interfere with the interpretation of the first
DTMF digit.  The previous dial tone supplies were extremely rich in
harmonics.

	The previous North American dial tone "standard" was 600 Hz
modulated by 120 Hz; I use the word "standard" loosely here since in
practice there was quite a variation because there was no technical
_reason_ why the tone had to be precise.  In older electromechanical
CO's dial tone could be produced by a variety of apparatus, including
motor-driven tone alternators, motor-driven pole-changing interrupters,
electromagnet-driven pole-changing interrupters (i.e.,vibrators),
ferroresonant AC-line powered devices, and in later years solid-state
devices of varying stability.

	Interestingly enough, with one exception, I have never seen
nor even heard of a call progress tone generator which used vacuum
tubes.  Technology in this area went directly from the
electromechanical to the solid-state.  The one exception was the
"no-such-number" tone generator, which used vacuum tubes and made its
debut around 1940; it has been affectionately called the "crybaby
tone".  This call progress tone (for lack of a better term) began
rapidly disappearing in the later 1950's with the rapid implementation
of intercept recorders which replaced it.  The no-such-number tone had
pretty much disappeared in the Bell System by 1965.

The last "holdout" I am aware of which used this tone was Rochester
Telephone, in Rochester, NY, and quite to my surprise I heard this
tone when I misdialed a toll call to the Rochester area about four
years ago.  I was so taken aback - not having heard this tone for
probably 20 years - that I was almost motivated to fetch a tape
recorder and record it for posterity. :-)

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

dtroup@uunet.uu.net (Dave Troup) (09/25/89)

	Does anyone know what the recording alert tones are? You know-those
	dee-doo-DOO, "The number you have reached..." What are the frequencies
	to them.  Ive NEVER been able to find out what those are.

	thanks in advance!

"We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, knowin' that ain't allowed"__         _______  _______________    |David C. Troup / Surf Rat
    _______)(______   |         |dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu : mail
    ___________________________|414-524-6809______________________________

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0405m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, kitty!larry@uunet.uu.
net (Larry Lippman) writes:
> 	Interestingly enough, with one exception, I have never seen
> nor even heard of a call progress tone generator which used vacuum
> tubes.  Technology in this area went directly from the
> electromechanical to the solid-state.  The one exception was the
> "no-such-number" tone generator, which used vacuum tubes and made its
> debut around 1940; it has been affectionately called the "crybaby
> tone".

The dial and busy/reorder tones in a stock Stromberg XY are generated
by a device which uses a single vacuum tube. Ringback comes from a
vibrating reed device (and sounds like a fart). The sound made by the
dial tone generator is reminiscent of the old WE SXS "honker" tone but
has a more mellow timbre.

Although rapidly disappearing, the California desert is peppered with
exchanges using the XY.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

loren@amcom.UUCP (loren cahlander) (09/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0406m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> Dave Troup <carroll1!
dtroup@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>	Does anyone know what the recording alert tones are? You know-those
>	dee-doo-DOO, "The number you have reached..." What are the frequencies
>	to them.  Ive NEVER been able to find out what those are.

>	thanks in advance!

 From the documentation that I have, there are four different sequences
of tones:

			First Tone	Second Tone	Third Tone
Tone	Tone		freq   length	freq   length	freq   length
Name	Description	(Hz)   (10 ms)	(Hz)   (10 ms)	(Hz)   (10 ms)
 NC	No Circuit	985.2  38.0	1428.5  38.0	1776.7  38.0
	Found

 IC	Operator	913.8  27.4	1370.6  27.4	1776.7  38.0
	Intercept

 VC	Vacant Circuit	985.2  38.0	1370.6  27.4	1776.7  38.0

 RO	ReOrder		913.8  27.4	1428.5  38.0	1776.7  38.0

Loren D. Cahlander                                 AMCOM Software, Inc.
                                                   5555 West 78th St  Suite Q
UUCP:  uunet!rosevax!nis!amcom!loren               Minneapolis, MN 55435
                                                   (612) 829-7445

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/30/89)

Regarding precise dialtone, it's true...the older dialtone was rich in
harmonics, and interferes with a tone receiver trying to detect the
first DTMF digit.

I used to work for a company that made tone-to-pulse converters, and
one of the requirements was that they be installed in offices with
precise 350+440Hz dialtone, rather than the electromechanical motor
driven monsters that were commong in offices without DTMF.

Customers calling in with problems were usually asked about precise
dialtone, and the wags around the office (Teltone) used to joke about
the customers who said:

"Hell yes it's precise dialtone!  I checked it with a stobe light
just last week!"

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP
KT7H @ N7HFZ
MCI Mail: 3288544

john@jetson.upma.md.us (John Owens) (10/03/89)

On Sep 24, 12:58pm, Larry Lippman wrote:

> Technology in this area went directly from the electromechanical to
> the solid-state.  The one exception was the "no-such-number" tone
> generator, which used vacuum tubes and made its debut around 1940;
> it has been affectionately called the "crybaby tone".  [....]
>
> The last "holdout" I am aware of which used this tone was Rochester
> Telephone, in Rochester, NY, and quite to my surprise I heard this
> tone when I misdialed a toll call to the Rochester area about four
> years ago.  [....]

Actually, this tone (continuous rising for 1 second, continuous
falling for 1 second, etc.) is still in use by C&P Telephone on the
301-867 exchange (West River, MD), for misdialed outgoing calls (e.g.,
dialing a 7-digit number for an exchange not in the local calling
area).  Calls to a non-working 867-xxxx, however, get routed to an AIC
and get an intercept recording!  I haven't tried dialing a 1+ call to
a non-existent area code; I guess that would tell me if the local
switch knows area codes or passes the 1+ call to a smarter tandem.

This switch is being replaced by "the most modern electronic switching
facility in Maryland" this Fall; can anyone tell from the use of the
not-a-number tone what kind of switch I'm on?  It's definitely not a
stepper: touch-tone calls complete in milliseconds.  No "custom
calling features" are available; neither is Centrex, or Equal Access.
Per-call and timed local billing is available.  My guess is a #5
crossbar; reasonable?

John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net