[comp.dcom.telecom] C&P Class, With a Thought

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (09/30/89)

According to the Post (2 Sept, D11)
C&P is hoping to get:
	CallerID	$6.50/8.50 (res/bus)
	Trace		$1.00 per use
	Block		$4.00/4.50 (.LE. 6 #'s)
	Sel. Fwd	$4.00/4.50
	Return		$4.00/4.50
	Repeat		$2.00/2.50
	Priority	$3.00/3.50
and
    Telephone companies argue that classifying a
    number as unpublished means only that it will not
    appear in a directory or be given out by operators
    People who want to safeguard their numbers can do so
    by not calling.

Which brings out the reason for my submission. It is no secret
that the District region has a number of government agencies
that, shall we say, maintain low profiles. These folks don't ALL
work out of the buildings we see on the news. Some buildings are
just not labeled (hint-if the fence is 12 ft high, and there is
a guard with an Uzi in the little hut, they are NOT selling
office supplies) while others have NO overt connection to their
actual agencies.

Now while nothing classified is discussed on the (so-called)
black phone, how happy are these folks going to be on the ID
question? Will they be able to get ID blocked? If not, then
c+p will make even MORE $$$ on OPX trunks back to the HQ
buildings or a neutral site to disguise the actual calling
numbers.

It should be interesting.

Flash! Murphy gets look and feel copyright on sendmail.cf
  {gatech!} wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (305) 255-RTFM

kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0421m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> David Lesher <wb8foz@
mthvax.cs.miami.edu> writes:

-    Telephone companies argue that classifying a
-    number as unpublished means only that it will not
-    appear in a directory or be given out by operators
-    People who want to safeguard their numbers can do so
-    by not calling.

>Which brings out the reason for my submission. It is no secret
>that the District region has a number of government agencies
>that, shall we say, maintain low profiles.

>Now while nothing classified is discussed on the (so-called)
>black phone, how happy are these folks going to be on the ID
>question?

Boy, does that bring back memories!  A LONG time ago I got a phone call, out
of the blue, from someone who seemingly wanted to recruit me for a job.  They
gave me a number to call back, but wouldn't tell me who they were.  I called
the operator, played innocent, and asked her to tell me who the number
belonged to.

She called back several minutes later and said: "This is very strange.  Its a
new line, but there is no reverse listing, and the card (for the number) has
been removed from the file.  I called the number and asked them who they
were... and they got very angry!" (quotation approximated)

I didn't take the job.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)