[comp.dcom.telecom] Some Comments About Busy Line Verification & TSPS

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (10/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0414m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> Miguel_Cruz@ub.cc.umich.
edu writes:
> "This number's been busy -- " -click- less than two seconds later,
> "Sir, there's talking on the line," came back from the operator.

> What happened to Verify operators?  Time was, you got to listen to
> the operator call another operator, you could chat while the second
> operator was off for 30 seconds or so doing who knows what.  This
> whole transaction, from dialing to hanging up, took less than 30 seconds.

	TSPS was designed with the intention that any or all positions so
designated may have direct access to verification trunks.  The No. 1 TSPS
console has an illuminated non-locking "verification" key which has two
possible lamp indications, steady and 120 IPM flash.  The exact function of
this verification key is software-defined by the TSPS operating program
running on the Stored Program Control (SPC) No. 1, the TSPS processor.
Therefore, the operator you reach when dialing "0" may well have the
capability to perform busy line verification without requiring the services
of any other operator.

	However, depending upon the particular central office having the
number to be verified and the local TSPS serving area, a request for busy
line verification may still require the services of another operator.

	Traditionally, most CO's have two busy line verification trunks to
service the entire office.  In a local DSA serving area, these verification
trunks would typically be terminated on a No. 1 or No. 3 Toll Board (cord
type) so that at least two positions have access to the trunks; generally,
there was no verification multiple to all positions.  In large cities, there
was usually enough verification traffic to justify at least one operator for
this purpose.  In smaller DSA serving areas, operators having verification
trunk access would perform other duties while not serving verification
requests.

	In SxS CO's, the verification trunks would appear as incoming
trunks which connected to a verification distributor.  The verification
distributor would perform the same function as a first and second selector
to decode the thousands and hundreds digits of a four digit number.  The
verification distributor selected a connector group where the tens and
units digits were dialed into a verification connector.  A verification
connector would provide a metallic connection to the tip & ring of the
selected subscriber line; there was no ringing or busy-test function
provided in a verification connector itself.

	A verification connector was in most cases identical to a test
connector, as accessed by a local test desk in a repair service bureau.
In some SxS CO's the verification and test distributor circuits were
combined, while in other CO's there was a separate verification distributor
and a separate test distributor.

	There were several variations in the method of accessing a
verification trunk from the No. 1 or No. 3 Toll Board.  In some cases
there were TWO jacks for each verification trunk - one for dialing and
one for speech - which required the use of two cords by the operator.
In other cases only one jack was required for both dialing and speech.
In either event, in the case of a SxS CO only the last four digits of
the subscriber number would be dialed into the verification jack.  In
the case of a crossbar CO, the last four or five digits would be dialed,
depending upon the size of the CO.

	Since verification trunks were also used to actually break into a
connection for emergency situations, in the case of a No. 1 or No. 3 Toll
Board there was usually no one-way bridging amplifier; the verification
trunk circuit, if equipped with a repeater, was designed for normal two-way
communication.  Therefore, an operator who accessed a verification trunk
had the capability of talking to the connected subscriber line merely by
operating the "talk" key at the cord position.  Furthermore, if a subscriber
terminated a call while their number was accessed via a verification
connector, the operator could usually ring their telephone by operating the
cord position "ring forward" key (actually, the toll board ringing was
repeated using a "test trunk ringing circuit" at the terminating CO).

	In a crossbar CO, verification trunks would terminate as an incoming
trunk, with an incoming register being connected through an incoming
register link frame to accept the proper number of digits.  Upon completion
of dialing into the incoming register, a completing marker equipped to
handle "special features" (usually completing marker No. 0 or No 1) would
connect the incoming trunk through an office test frame to a "no test"
vertical in the subscriber line link frame, thereby making a metallic
connection to tip & ring of the subscriber line.

	A situation similar to the above exists in an analog ESS office,
such as No. 1 ESS, No. 2 ESS and No. 3 ESS, in that a metallic connection
is made between the incoming verification trunk and the subscriber line.
While no doubt similar to the above, I don't know exactly how verification
is handled in a digital ESS office, such as the 5 ESS or Northern Telecom
DMS-series, since there is no longer a metallic path between lines and
trunks; digital ESS CO's appeared LONG after "my time in the field". :-)

	In a TSPS installation having direct verification capability from
any position, the verification trunks as described above would now be
terminated as an "operator service trunk" on the Trunk Link Network (TLN)
side of the TSPS switch.  Therefore, any TSPS console on the Position Link
Network (PLN) side of the TSPS switch can access any verification trunk so
described.

	As far as I know, in the original TSPS there was no means for access
to verification trunks other than through a TSPS console on the PLN side of
the same TSPS switch where the verification trunks were terminated.  Both
technical reasons and security concerns imposed this limitation.  However,
times have changed and resulted in a great effort toward "centralization
of operator services.  Therefore, it may now be possible for a centralized
facility to access verification trunks in several TSPS serving areas.
Whether such centralized verification access is accomplished using the
TSPS RTA facility or by other means, I don't know.

	In general, implementing busy line verification was a low-priority
function during TSPS installation; consequently, verification trunks - along
with other special service functions - were often kept on a few cord-type
toll board positions long after cutover to TSPS.  So the point is, depending
upon the local TSPS serving area, verification may or may not yet be available
for direct use by the TSPS operator one reaches by dialing "0".  It was not
uncommon for say, outlying SxS CDO's to have their verification trunks
remain on a manual toll board stuck somewhere in a corner of a TSPS facility
to save the cost of providing TSPS-compatible verification trunks to these
SxS CDO's - which were scheduled for upgrade to ESS, anyhow.

	An interesting development for busy line verification was introduced
several years ago in the Bell System.  WECO designed a special verification
bridging amplifier which intentionally distorted speech using a simple
frequency inversion technique.  Therefore, during a "normal" verification
request, the TSPS operator could discern the difference between speech and
non-speech sounds without actually eavesdropping on a conversation.  I am
not certain exactly how these special amplifiers were implemented, but I
believe that ANY TSPS position could verify but not eavesdrop or break in
to the conversation, and only certain supervisory TSPS positions could bypass
the special amplifier and break into the conversation.

	So, getting back to the original question, chances are the same
operator you reached by dialing "0" performed the verification, all in a
matter of seconds.

	It is also important to understand that the functions of TSPS are
TOTALLY PROGRAMMABLE.  The TSPS console is nothing more than lights, keys,
digital displays and a 4-wire talk circuit with local sidetone; ALL of its
operational characteristics are determined by software in the associated
TSPS processor: the SPC No. 1, which uses either the 1-type or 3-type
processor.  Therefore, the manner in which busy line verification is handled
has changed in the past, and no doubt may change in the future.

	One final point: while the local test desk facilities in a repair
service bureau may also be used to "verify" a subscriber line, there is
usually a rather clear distinction between this function and "operator"
busy line verification.  An operator who verifies a line is only trained
and equipped to detect the presence or absence of speech on a line, and
there is usually no presumption that absence of speech on a line so verified
is an indication of trouble.  By far, the most common cause of a busy line
where speech is absent is a Receiver Off Hook (ROH) condition; therefore,
a verification operator will usually NOT refer a line to repair service,
since to do so will burden a repair service bureau with a number of false
trouble reports.

	Also, there is a type of apparatus associated with a repair service
bureau known as a Line Status Verifier (LSV).  The LSV should not be
confused with apparatus or facilities intended for "busy line verification".
The LSV is a cordless test position for use by repair clerks in handling
trouble reports.  The LSV provides very simply tests for line open, foreign
EMF, etc. and displays obvious faults as a code number on a digital display.
The LSV is NOT intended for busy line verification purposes, and is NOT found
at any DSA/TSPS facility.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"