[comp.dcom.telecom] The 'Public Telegraph Office'

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (09/20/89)

Someone the other day asked, 'Have the public telegraph offices mostly been
replaced by the 800 phone service?'

The answer is yes. The 800 service along with personal terminals and accounts
on Easy Link for hundreds of companies which used to rely on telex and/or
TWX have virtually decimated the telegram, and the telegraph public office.

I mentioned that in small (and some medium size) towns, Western Union did
not actually own the facilities, but operated through an agent; someone
who had other things going on as well, such as the local agent for the bus
lines; now and then the local (independent and rural) telco office, etc.

In larger cities such as Chicago, St. Louis, New York, Boston, Los Angeles
and similar, Western Union operated their own public message centers. The
Chicago office is well etched in my mind, in the 1955-60 time period.

The office was 1930-ish Art Deco design. It was about the size of a typical
high school basketball gymnasium, with the same sort of vaulted ceilings.
In front, several small writing desks, like in a bank, where one would stand
and write out the message on a form submitted to the clerk. The fountain
pens were chained to the counter so they could not be stolen. A large
calendar on the wall, and of course, the 'telegraph clock'.

At the counter, which was marble, three or four places for clerks, although
there were usually just one or two on duty at a time. Behind them, nine
or ten rather large, somewhat noisy teletype machines. Usually there were
two operators attending all the machines; they would walk to one, peer
at the paper feeding out, look at the next machine, etc. Sitting down at
a machine, these operators -- invariably men, although the counter clerks
were frequently women -- would type messages and receive them.

The room had a constant din from the machines. One or more was constantly
typing. A small bell, driven by a <control-G> just like today would go
'bing bing bing' and the motor inside the machine would start going with
a soft sort of whirring noise. Maybe two seconds later the keys would
start printing and the carriage would move back and forth on the platen.
As quickly as it started, it would stop. The motor would shut off, and
the machine would go silent. But the starting and stopping could not
be predicted. Sometimes all would be running, other times just two or
three. Just as one would stop, another would start. And the men would
walk around, gather up paper from each and give it to the clerks at the
counter. One machine would stop, and immediatly bing! bing! another one
would start.

The operators seemed to be fast typists. Picking up a piece of paper from
the clerk, one would sit at a machine and begin typing -- quite fast it
seemed to me at the time, although I learned later they were only going
about 60 baud, or some ridiculous pace by today's standards. And always
with a cigarette hanging out of their lips as they sat there banging away.

The clerk functioned much like a school teacher grading an essay paper.
You'd take your message to the counter written out, and with a red pencil
the clerk would say, "what's this word here?", "how do you spell that
name?", "I can't read your writing, you will have to go back and print it
over again".

When satisfied, she'd count the words and looking at a chart say, "well,
that's fifteen words, gimme dollar seventy five". You would pay, and she
would hand the message over to the operators for typing into the network.

 From time to time the operators would hand over messages to the clerk, who
would speak loudly, "Smith? John Smith?", and if Smith was waiting around
for his message, he would come to the counter to get it. Sometimes it would
be registered, meaning he signed for it, and the operator would send back
a message to the other end saying delivery had been made. If Smith could
not be located in the office, then a messenger -- either a twelve year old
kid or a seventy five year old man -- they seemed to have no one in the
middle age at all doing this work -- would take the message and set
off on a bicycle to deliver the message to Smith at his office or home.

Twenty four hours a day, seven days a week this went on. If money was
wired to you, they would write a check payable to you, which you were free
to endorse and cash right there if the clerk had enough money in the
drawer, or you could cash it elsewhere.

If you just hung around the place all day, talking to the people coming
and going, you got quite an education and heard the life stories of everyone
passing through, it seemed.

Patrick Townson

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0389m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:
>typing. A small bell, driven by a <control-G> just like today ...

Smallest nit of the week -- telex machines are all Baudot five-bit code,
for which there's no such thing as a control key, just letter-shift and
number-shift.  The bell is some number-shift key.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

[Moderator's Note: Well I believe it was the 'shift - 7' now that you mention
it; and of course control-G is Ascii 7. Weren't the 'number-shift' keys
essentially like control keys? How did they get line feed, carriage return,
ENQ (who are you?) and answerback without control codes?  My handy Ascii
chart here says control-E, or ASC(5) when sent polls the other end to
identify itself. What do you think?  PT]

npl@mozart.att.com (Nickolas Landsberg) (09/21/89)

Hello Patrick,
	Hope this gets through, have had trouble in the past sending
stuff to you, but it mostly wasn't too terribly important, and, anyway
someone always had a better answer in a day or two than I did.

	In the above mentioned article, you mentioned that the speed
was around 60 baud.  Well, it was actually something called "75-speed"
which indicated a maximum speed of 75 WPM, transmitted in 5-level
"baudot" encoding.  After doing all the mumbo-jumbo af adding start/stop
bits, etc. this translates to an equivalent bits-per-second of 56.83
or thereabouts.  A system I worked on once had to monitor transmissions
from a telco switch which also used this.  An interesting sidelight is
that they could transmit the full upper-case character set, the numerics
and a goodly supply of punctuation using just 5 bits.  (Actually, they
used a "switch" character to flip-flop between meanings of particular
bit patterns.  The "alternate" set would continue to be used until
the "switch" character was seen again.)

Nick Landsberg

P.S.  I thoroughly enjoy the TELECOM Digest.  Thanks for your efforts!

[Moderator's Note: Blush. Thank you. If you have trouble getting the mail
through in the future, try one of these alternate addresses, all of which
terminate here at the Digest in Evanston, IL:
                    telecom@cs.bu.edu
                    telecom@nuacca.bitnet
                    attmail!ptownson (slower, but it gets here)
                    telecom@vector.dallas.tx.us                    PT]

tanner@ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) (09/23/89)

) ... you mentioned that the [baudot tty] speed
) was around 60 baud.  Well, it was actually something called "75-speed"
) which indicated a maximum speed of 75 WPM, transmitted in 5-level
) "baudot" encoding.

Some of these  5-level  devices  could  actually  be  geared  for
different  speeds.   The  most common speed for the units, if you
find them today, is 45.45 baud (with 1.5 stop bits!), which works
out to ~6 chars/sec (commonly called 60 WPM).

) Actually, they used a "switch" character to flip-flop between
) meanings of particular bit patterns.
They  used  two  characters.   There  was  a  "shift"   character
(sometimes  called  "figs", bit pattern 0b11111) which forced the
second character set.  To drop back  to  letters,  the  "unshift"
character  (sometimes  called  "ltrs",  bit  pattern 0b11011) was
sent.

As a user-settable option, the  machine  could  also  be  set  to
"unshift-on-space",  which  meant  that  if a space (0b00100) was
received when the machine wsa in shift mode, it would  drop  back
into  unshift mode.  The user selection of the "unshift-on-space"
option is made by moving a metal bar under the vanes.

I do mean "drop" - shift mode was handled by raising the carriage
so  that  the  other  row on the type slugs would hit the platen.
The "unshift" got a nice gravity assist, and made a nice sound.

Those old model 15 and model 19  teletypes  were  fascinating  to
watch.

 ...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra attctc gatech!uflorida uunet!cdin-1}!ki4pv!tanner

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (09/25/89)

> [Moderator's Note: Well I believe it was the 'shift - 7' now that you mention
> it; and of course control-G is Ascii 7.

No, it was shift-J.

>                                         Weren't the 'number-shift' keys
> essentially like control keys? How did they get line feed, carriage return,
> ENQ (who are you?) and answerback without control codes?

I have here CCITT #2 which says that LF and CR are valid both shifted and
unshifted and ENQ=shift-D.

This gives me some remembrances.  The first computer I did use had Telex
typewriters as consoles.  However, they where very advanced.  They had
a four row keyboard and would remember whether the last shift was figures
or letters.  So when you entered a symbol not in the current shift the
apparatus whould not generate it unless you entered the correct shift
first.  (Yes, it was made by Siemens.)  Here follows the CCITT #2 code table:
	Letters				Figures
	0	8	16	24	0	8	16	24
0	space	LF	E	A	space	LF	3	-
1	T	L	Z	W	5	)	+	2
2	CR	R	D	J	CR	4	ENQ	BEL
3	O	G	B	figures	9	undef	?	figures
4	nil	I	S	U	nil	8	'	7
5	H	P	Y	Q	undef	0	6	1
6	N	C	F	K	,	:	undef	(
7	M	V	X	letters	.	=	/	letters
A question is: where in this whole lot of bits figures the sprocket hole;
i.e. is it 1.2.4.o.8.16 or 16.8.4.o.2.1?  Next to me lies a lot of 5-level
paper taper, but I cannot yet figure it.

This is CCITT #2 or Baudot.  There is another 5-level code: CCITT #1
which has also another name.  I must have the code somewhere, but am
not inclined to dig it up unless requested.

There appears also to be some different Telex codes in the US.  If I
remember right, a 3 out of 7 code or somesuch and a 8 level code (but
not ASCII).  I have the codings somewhere (in the same place as CCITT #1)
but do not know under what circomstances they were used.  Any help is
appreciated.

dik@cwi.nl

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (09/25/89)

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:

>In article <telecom-v09i0389m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:
>>typing. A small bell, driven by a <control-G> just like today ...

>Smallest nit of the week -- telex machines are all Baudot five-bit code,
>for which there's no such thing as a control key, just letter-shift and
>number-shift.  The bell is some number-shift key.

>[Moderator's Note: Well I believe it was the 'shift - 7' now that you mention
>it; and of course control-G is Ascii 7. Weren't the 'number-shift' keys
>essentially like control keys? How did they get line feed, carriage return,
>ENQ (who are you?) and answerback without control codes?  My handy Ascii
>chart here says control-E, or ASC(5) when sent polls the other end to

This isn't ascii!  7-bit ascii has 128 combinations, we have 5 bits with
32 combinations.  Like they say in Oregon: "Things are different here!"

>identify itself. What do you think?  PT]

Here's the map of the baudot / 3-row / pick your name..

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0   The upper case is the same in all character sets
    Q W E R T Y U I O P   for this row of the keyboard.

     -   $ ! &   ' ( )
     A S D F G H J K L

      "  /  :  ;  ?  ,  .
FIGS  Z  X  C  V  B  N  M  LTRS  LF  (blank)

         (space bar)

There is actually four different US character sets, plus the international set.
There is the "Military", the "Weather", the "TWX" and the "Telex" set.

LTRS    Int'l    Mil   TWX   TELEX   WX
 A        -       -     -      -     up arrow
 S        '       Bell  Bell   '     Bell
 D       currency $     $      WRU   upper right arrow
 F       DV*      !     1/4    $     right arrow
 G       DV*      &     &      &     lower right arrow
 H       DV*      STOP  DV*    #     down arrow
 J       Bell     '     ,      Bell  lower left arrow
 K       (        (     1/2    (     left arrow
 L       )        )     3/4    )     upper left arrow
 Z       +        "     "      "     +
 X       /        /     /      /      /
 C       :        :     WRU    :     circle
 V       =        ;     3/8    ;     circle with a vertical bar inside
 B       ?        ?     5/8    ?     circle with a + inside
 N       ,        ,     DV*    ,     circle (my chart dupes shift-C)
 M       .        .     .      .     .

DV* means "Domestic Variation"

My first machine was purchased from Southern Pacific, and had the "TWX"
character set - commonly knowin in ham circles as the "stock market" set.
Fortunately the Model 15 and 19 printers had a type basket with soldered-on
type pallets, and I was able to purchase replacement pallets (for 30 cents
apiece!) and solder them on.  Changing the shift-J bell to a "S-Bell"
required disassembling the machine and replaciing the decoding arm.
Interestingly, breaking off a tab allowed printing a bell character (like
the <Ma Bell logo) on the page, in addition to sounding the signal.  The
15 and 19 had a bell and cam-operated hammer, the 28 closed a contact which
powered a solenoid to ring the bell.

WRU was a contact closure.  The hardware varied with the vintage/user,
and could be a paper tape reader with a loop of tape, a toothed drum
with 32 rows of 5 teeth, that were broken out to create character codes,
or a bank of diodes and a rotary stepper switch.
STOP was a contact opening or closure, depending on the model.  It actually
turned the machine off, if the option was wired in.  I saw exactly one machine
where it was used.

Shift-H and shift-N in the TWX set varied with the user.  I've seen a shift-h
with the UK currency "L" on it, and with the double-dot-U (Scandinavian
character).

As to speeds, there were/are 8 "standards":
Pulses              Data   Stop
per                 Pulse  Pulse
Char   WPM   Baud   Ms     Ms      Use
7.42   61.33 45.45  22     31      US Bell system
7.0    65    45.5   22     22      US Western Union
7.5    66.67 50     20     30      ITU standard - Europe
7.42   67.33 50     20     28.4    US Military, for interoperation with allies
7.0    71.43 50     20     20      Old CCIT European standard
7.42   76.67 56.88  17.57  25      US "75 WPM" all commercial & military
7.42  100.0  74.2   13.47  19.18   US "100 WPM" all commercial & military
7.0   100.0  74.2   13.47  13.47   US military very limited use

The first two are compatible, the three 50-baud are compatible and the
two 100-wpm are compatible.

As a sidelight, I have seen more than one 60-wpm two-fingered typists.

Also, the model 32 machine was available with a 3-row keyboard as diagramed
above, and a 4-row that had the numbers on the 1st row, and the QWER... on the
second.  A mechanical lock that was triggered by the FIGS and LTRS keys would
lock out one or the other row.

I actually saw a implementation of a baudot BASIC running on an old
8080-based home computer in 1976-1977.  The gentleman had hacked the character
I/O drivers in a copy of a ASCII basic (the old Microsoft BASIC) to do
table lookup so that a 5-level TTY could be used.  He was using the military
character set, and things like "<" and ">" were translated into strings
like fortrans ".LT." and ".GT." - he had implemented .NE. for <>, etc.
I was amazed that it could be done, and flabbergasted that he did it in
a 8k system (note that 8k was the total RAM - which held the system, the
I/O lookup and the BASIC interpreter!).

I wish I had saved a copy of the I/O driver listing.

Mike Morris                      UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 ICBM: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     PSTN: 818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     cat flames.all > /dev/null

tanner@ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) (09/29/89)

) [Moderator's Note: Well I believe it was the 'shift - 7' now that
) you mention it;
There is no "shift-7" in baudot code.  The figure '7' is  on  the
"shifted"  character  set (same character code as the letter 'U',
0b00111).  The had the same code as the letter 'J' (0b01011).

) Weren't the 'number-shift' keys essentially like control keys?
Presuming that you mean the "shift" (FIGS) and "unshift" ("LTRS")
keys,  no, they weren't like control keys.  They differed in two
important ways.  First, they  sent  character  codes.   Secondly,
they   had  no  printing  effect  themselves,  but  caused  later
characters to be printed from a possibly different charset.

) How did they get line feed, carriage return,
There are baudot codes  for  CR  and  LF.   These,  interestingly
enough, are effective in both shifted and unshifted modes.

) ENQ (who are you?)
You typed "WHO DAT<FIGS>?<LTRS><CR><LF>" and stopped typing.

) and answerback without control codes?
The other guy typed "IT<FIGS>'<LTRS>S ME.<CR><LF>"  in  response.
He  might have had a tape reader in which case he could have this
text prepared for your editfication; it would save him typing  it
again.

) My handy Ascii chart here says control-E, or ASC(5)
It should be noted that  ASCII  is  not  a  5-level  code.   When
discussing the 5-level devices, refer not to your ASCII chart but
to a BAUDOT chart instead.

) What do you think?  PT]
I think that you haven't worked on many 5-level  devices,  to  be
honest.    These  slow  devices  (noisy,  too)  are  pretty  much
unrelated to any modern computing needs.  I only  ever  heard  of
one  general-purpose  computer  system which purported to support
the things, and never actually saw it done.

Please  see the  [Radio Amateur's  Handbook] for  information  on
the  BAUDOT  code.   You  might also consult a maint manual for a
model 15/model 19 teleprinter.

The  original  wiring  on  these  devices  is  somewhat  baroque.
Considering  that  very little of it is actually needed (a common
maint trick is to remove the old wiring, add the 10 or  so  wires
needed in the whole device, and try to figure out what to do with
the many, many feet of  old  wire.   It  has  been  thought  that
perhaps  the  added  wiring  was  for  the  military - whether to
confuse the enemy, or just to  raise  the  price,  has  not  been
determined.

The characters in  the  FIGS  set,  by  the  way,  were  somewhat
variable  depending on the particular unit in hand.  On some, you
could get motor stop instead of one of the printing characters (I
think  that you might have been able to configure which you got).
On others, you might not have the prime  (').   Other  units  had
weather symbols instead of some of the figures.

andyb@coat.com (Andy Behrens) (10/03/89)

Dik T. Winter <dik@cwi.nl> writes:
> Here follows the CCITT #2 code table:
>
>	Letters					Figures
>	0	8	16	24
>    +--------------------------------------------------------
> 0  |	space	LF	E	A		...
> 1  |	T	L	Z	W		...
> 2  |	CR	R	D	J		...
> 3  |	O	G	B	figures		...
> 4  |	nil	I	S	U		...
> 5  |	H	P	Y	Q		...
> 6  |	N	C	F	K		...
> 7  |	M	V	X	letters		...

At first there seems to be no pattern to the way the letters are
assigned, but if you arrange them according to the number of bits that
are set in each character, it becomes clear.  The most common letters
of the English alphabet (ETAIONSHRDL....) and the word separators
(space, return, line feed) have the codes with the fewest number of
marking bits.

Question 1.  Does anyone know why this is so?

    My theory: If the teletype machines are driven with a current-loop
    interface, this arrangement of codes minimizes the power that needs
    to be transmitted.

Question 2.  Why was "Z" grouped with the most common letters?

============ ============ ============ ============ ============ ============
 no bits      1 bit        2 bits       3 bits       4 bits       5 bits
============ ============ ============ ============ ============ ============
00000 blank  10000 E      11000 A      01110 C      11110 K      11111 ltrs
             01000 lf     01100 I      10110 F      11101 Q
             00100 space  00110 N      01101 P      11011 figs
             00010 ret    00011 O      11010 J      10111 X
             00001 T      10100 S      10101 Y      01111 V
                          01010 R      01011 G
                          00101 H      11100 U
                          10010 D      11001 W
                          01001 L      10011 B
                          10001 Z      00111 M

Live justly, love gently, walk humbly.
					Andy Behrens
					andyb@coat.com

uucp:   {harvard,rutgers,decvax}!dartvax!coat!andyb
RFD 1, Box 116, East Thetford, Vt. 05043		(802) 649-1258
Burlington Coat, PO Box 729, Lebanon, N.H. 03766	(603) 448-5000