[comp.dcom.telecom] Australian Broadcast Call Signs

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (09/21/89)

They are all under VK (i.e., the FM station 4GGG on Australia's gold
coast has a call sign of VK4GGG).  The number indicates (mostly)
which state the station is in (1=Tasmania <I think>, 2=New South
Wales, 3=Victoria, 4=Queensland, and I don't know the rest :>)

Since they're all VK callsigns, the VK becomes "silent."  New Zealand
broadcast stations use a similar convention: the "ZL" becomes silent,
and the number indicates location (1=North Island, 2=South Island).

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

miw@uunet.uu.net (Mark Williams) (09/24/89)

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:

>They are all under VK (i.e., the FM station 4GGG on Australia's gold
>coast has a call sign of VK4GGG).  The number indicates (mostly)
>which state the station is in (1=Tasmania <I think>, 2=New South
>Wales, 3=Victoria, 4=Queensland, and I don't know the rest :>)

	I think this is slightly incorrect. The Radio Australia short
wave stations are VLM4 and VLQ9.

Mark Williams

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Horsfall) (10/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0393m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>,
    henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:

| They are all under VK (i.e., the FM station 4GGG on Australia's gold
| coast has a call sign of VK4GGG).  The number indicates (mostly)
| which state the station is in (1=Tasmania <I think>, 2=New South
| Wales, 3=Victoria, 4=Queensland, and I don't know the rest :>)

Sorry, Henry - but VK4GGG would be an Amateur callsign.  Australia has
been allocated VH-VN, with AX as well (and possibly others).  And Tasmania
is "7", not "1".  That is reserved for Our Nation's Capital, and various
little islands around the place.  Tasmania, although an island, isn't
one of them :-)

I'll take a guess that the prefix is VL though - resulting in VL4GGG.
Then again, I could be wrong.  How did this get started in Telecom
Digest anyway?

Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU),  Alcatel STC Australia,  dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET,  ...munnari!stcns3.stc.oz.AU!dave

[Moderator's Note: How did all this get started in the Digest? I guess
it is due to my anti-social and iconoclastic attitude. I've caused the
imminent death of the net on several occassions, you know. And I am
proud of it, I might add. :)   PT]