[comp.dcom.telecom] Prefix '520' for Los Angeles Radio Stations

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (09/21/89)

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) writes:

>Also, most people are familiar with this service as radio stations
>often use this service -- especially stations that have large broadcast
>areas.  I remember growing up and when the radio station would have
>a contest, they would list six or seven numbers that listeners could
>call into to win.  While each of these numbers was from a different
>geographical area, they all terminated at the radio station.

LA has most of it's FM station on a 5,000' mountain so both the AM and
the FM has excellent coverage - LA county has 2 complete area codes
(818 and 213) and pieces of 2 more (714, 805).  Many of the radio
station also cover portions of San Bernadino and Riverside counties
(area code 619). A while back (pre the 213-818 split) I noticed
that more and more stations were giving out 213-520 numbers for dial-in.
After the split, I noticed that they were giving out the same number
as "dial 213-520-xxxx or 818-520-xxxx".

Well, to make a long story short there is only one 520 exchange, but it
can be accessed from both 818 and 213.  A acquaintance in Pac Bell tells me
that if they can get GTE to co-operate that they might be able to do the
same thing with 714, only it would have to be something other than 520,
as that is already in use in the city of Anaheim.

It probably won't happen with 619 as that is north San Diego, and all of
Riverside and San Bernadino, and many of the lower powered stations don't
reach that far.  My '84 Riverside book does not list a assignment for
619-520 however.

I was told it was done at the (collective) stations request to lower the
number of FX lines and hence the cost, but I kinda doubt that -

Mike Morris                      UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 ICBM: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     PSTN: 818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     cat flames.all > /dev/null

joe@mojave.ati.com (Joe Talbot) (09/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0391m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, morris@jade.jpl.nasa.
gov (Mike Morris) writes:
> klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) writes:
>
> LA has most of it's FM station on a 5,000' mountain so both the AM and
> the FM has excellent coverage - LA county has 2 complete area codes
> (818 and 213) and pieces of 2 more (714, 805).  Many of the radio
> station also cover portions of San Bernadino and Riverside counties
> (area code 619). A while back (pre the 213-818 split) I noticed
> that more and more stations were giving out 213-520 numbers for dial-in.
> After the split, I noticed that they were giving out the same number
> as "dial 213-520-xxxx or 818-520-xxxx".

This works the same as 976, both area codes translate to the same
thing. The 213/818 520 prefix is a "choke" prefix, designed to prevent
Radio and TV station contest calling from disrupting the network.
Typically only 2-4 trunks are available from each office. A special
prefix does not appear to be needed, often, in smaller communities, a
prefix and a single hundreds group function the same way. Examples:
Colton (714) 431-5XXX, Phoenix used to be that way, maybe still is
(602) 260. Other choke prefixes of note are:  Chicago (312) 591-XXXX,
San Jose (408) 575-XXXX, Orange County (714) 977-XXXX, San Francisco
(415) 478-XXXX, San Diego (619) 570-XXXX.

> Well, to make a long story short there is only one 520 exchange, but it
> can be accessed from both 818 and 213.  A acquaintance in Pac Bell tells me
> that if they can get GTE to co-operate that they might be able to do the
> same thing with 714, only it would have to be something other than 520,
> as that is already in use in the city of Anaheim.

It's really too bad that 520 in Anaheim didn't get used. The 520 prefix
was already in service in LA years before 520 even got assigned. 520 in
Anaheim has a whole bunch of big centrex/DID customers on it, no hope
of any change. (One customer had a recording reminding callers to dial
213 before the number because of huge numbers of misdirected calls!).
Note that Orange County has its own choke prefix (714) 977.

> It probably won't happen with 619 as that is north San Diego, and all of
> Riverside and San Bernadino, and many of the lower powered stations don't
> reach that far.  My '84 Riverside book does not list a assignment for
> 619-520 however.

The prefix 520 is not special. It just happens to be one of the last
to be assigned because of its position on the Bellcore list. Prefixes
that end in 0 are later to be assigned because of confusion with the
letter O.

> I was told it was done at the (collective) stations request to lower the
> number of FX lines and hence the cost, but I kinda doubt that -

Stations often are forced to pay foreign exchange and milage charges
just to get service, because that service MUST be on a choke system.

joe@mojave
I finally changed my dumb signature. People were always telling me what
a great signature I had.

macy@hal.uucp (09/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0391m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> Mike Morris <morris@jade.
jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

>klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) writes:

>>Also, most people are familiar with this service as radio stations
>>often use this service -- especially stations that have large broadcast
>>areas.  I remember growing up and when the radio station would have
>>a contest, they would list six or seven numbers that listeners could
>>call into to win.  While each of these numbers was from a different
>>geographical area, they all terminated at the radio station.

>LA has most of it's FM station on a 5,000' mountain so both the AM and
>the FM has excellent coverage - LA county has 2 complete area codes
>(818 and 213) and pieces of 2 more (714, 805).  Many of the radio
>station also cover portions of San Bernadino and Riverside counties
>(area code 619). A while back (pre the 213-818 split) I noticed
>that more and more stations were giving out 213-520 numbers for dial-in.
>After the split, I noticed that they were giving out the same number
>as "dial 213-520-xxxx or 818-520-xxxx".

Ah, but there are other reasons!

Yes, folks, it's another of Macy's True Stories of Telephony (TM)

We often had problems with radio/TV stations running contests and
giveaways in my phone co. days...a real traffic engineering nightmare.
Seems the heavy peak demand caused by everyone going off hook and
dialing one exchange at once would bring the local tandems to their
knees.  There was even a ESS in one city I know of that would give up,
shut down and re-IPL on an 85% (or therabouts) load.

In the days before widespread ESS and CICS this could be a real
problem.  The solution devised back in the late 60's was to set up a
special exchange in one switch, usually the downtown one, since it was
a major tandem and most of the stations had their studios downtown.
The outlying CO's (Central Office) would be set up with only a couple
trunks available to the downtown tandem for this special dedicated
exchange.  The outlying CO's would then, if possible, be modified to
give a regular 60 ipm busy for all trunks busy on this trunk group, as
opposed to a standard 120 ipm (fast busy) or ATB recording.  (This was
a real hack job in some types of offices)

The idea was to prevent the heavy peak from overloading the tandems
and offices without sounding odd to the customers.  By creating a
bottleneck by limiting trunkage, the downtown tandem switch did not
get buried (it was also modified to act the same way on calls
originating within the downtown switch).

The tariffs filed by telcos in most states allow numbers to be
reassigned to customers at the telco's discretion.  The telco went to
all the stations and forced a number change and dedicated
contest/request lines to be used by the stations.  Stations not in the
downtown exchanges were offered FX services.

In some areas, these exchanges were consolidated accross area codes,
such as L.A.  In many areas special tarriffs were put into place to
offer this high traffic response service at a special premium rate,
because a large calling area was being delivered at local rates.  This
was done because 800 service could not be configured to deal with this
problem at the time.

With the new ESS machines in use, similar, but improved schemes are
currently in use.  This is complicated by the various types of older
CO switches out there and uncooperative independant (non-Bell) telcos,
often becouse they are not offered CICS channels by the Bell co. or
their switch is too dumb.

A recent problem occurred in Akron, Ohio not too long ago that
justifies this design philosphy...

Seems an older local station (WQMX 94.9) got bought, changed its
format from elevator music to contempary rock and needed to build its
listeners.  Good old American marketing enters the picture...and the
station widely advertises they are going to give away $10,000 to the
100th caller at 7:30 one designated morning.  The number they
advertise is a regular POTS number (with three line rotary hunt
group).

Now their broadcast coverage area includes Akron-Cleveland-Canton
Ohio.  Cleveland or Canton to Akron is an inter-LATA toll call.

The effect of this promotion is:
 1. Akron's University ESS switch (216-836,864,867,869,860) is
    brought to its knees. This is the switch that serves WQMX.
    It is completely no-tone for almost 20 minutes.
 2. Several local tandems are thoroghly messed up.  Akron's
    downtown Blackstone exchange ESS is overloaded for the
    first time in its history.  Operation is erratic, at best.
    Many of the inter-LATA carriers use Blackstone as their
    closest Point of Presence to University  central office.
    Blackstone's many Centrex customers are affected as well.
3.  ATT, Sprint, MCI and others are overwhelmed by Cleveland to
    Akron calling.  Also a record.
4.  Somebody wins the money, eventually.
5.  Nearly thirty minutes pass before the network recovers.

Ohio Bell never knew what hit them.  Statements in the newspaper to
that effect the next day showed WQMX did not communicate its
intentions to Ohio Bell and did not subscribe the tarriffed services
for this use.  WQMX widely advertised the promotion and it was noticed
by some Ohio Bell personnel, but they did not think much of it at the
time, and no prior arrangements were made.

Needless to say, such facilites have been put into place recently.
WQMX has been trying other stunts to attract listeners, but not this
one again.  And the public has its reassuring dial tone again.

WQMX's latest stunt was a girl with a cellular phone standing in front
of a billboard saying: I NEED A JOB! CALL ME: XXX-XXXX over a busy
Akron freeway during morning rush hour.  The idea was to get the girl,
really a new morning jock just hired by the station, on other
stations' live morning programs and then plug WQMX.  This one gave the
cellular co. some extra traffic, but did no harm, other than upset a
couple of the other radio stations in the area.  So much for telecom
as a promotion tool... telemarketing anyone?

FACT: Most central offices are engineered for around 10% maximum
usage.  That's right. 10% of you all, businesses and residences, get
on the phone at once, in one CO, and look out.  (This number varies
with the type of switch and its engineering, but its a good, round
number) This will also be declaimed by many Telcos, but thats the way
it is.

Well, I'll be back with more True Stories of Telephony another day...
Regards to all,

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
       Alt.disclaimer:            Your milage may vary.
       Biz.disclaimer:            My opinions are my own. What do I know?

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (09/22/89)

jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

>>Also, most people are familiar with this service as radio stations
>>often use this service -- especially stations that have large broadcast
>>areas.  I remember growing up and when the radio station would have
>>a contest, they would list six or seven numbers that listeners could
>>call into to win.  While each of these numbers was from a different
>>geographical area, they all terminated at the radio station.

I was paging through the Criss Cross Directory yesterday, and
discovered that in the 408 area, the 575 prefix is used only for radio
stations, and only for call-in's as well.  It doesn't seem to matter
where in San Jose the station is located, or if it's located out of
area.

My guess is that this is done so that massive promotions won't take
out residence and business service when the number of incoming calls
skyrockets.  I remember when WNBC in New York went "Total
Request!!!!!"  Businesses and residents in mid-Manhattan were out of
phone service, as CIrcle-6 was "tubed".  (An air traffic control
expression which stems from going 'down the tubes.')

				-edg
Ed Greenberg
uunet!apple!netcom!edg

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/24/89)

I think the reason that many radio stations have the same special
prefix is so that the local telco can do selective blocking when
they announce: "..be the 9th caller and win $10,000!".

Without special prefixes, an announcement like this could cause
major problems when calls from all over start heading for one
CO.  With the special prefix, an "intelligent network" can allow
a limited number of calls from each originating office, and the
rest can get locally generated "all trunks busy".

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: Tell me about it! The Chicago Cubs World Series
tickets went on sale Friday at 6 PM here, via Ticketron. They did
*not* use any special prefix or traffic routing at first. By 6:01 PM,
phones all over northern Illinois were sluggish, and experiencing
delays in getting dial tone. By about 6:45 Bell employees had managed
to re-route some of the traffic, but the mess wasn't totally under
control until about 10:00 PM.  PT]

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (09/25/89)

I wrote...

%klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) writes:  (Regarding Foreign Exchange service)
%
[...]

Brian Kantor straightened me out...

     From: brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor)
     Subject: Re: Prefix '520' For Los Angeles Radio Stations

     All the radio stations in San Diego have a 570 prefix for their numbers.
     That is done to limit the number of inter-CO trunks that can be tied up
     whilst they are running one of their "the 91st caller wins two free
     tickets to the moon" contests.
          	- Brian

Thank You.

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0396m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, joe@mojave.ati.com
(Joe Talbot) writes:

> Stations often are forced to pay foreign exchange and milage charges
> just to get service, because that service MUST be on a choke system.

The three stations I work with that have choke prefixes do not pay any
mileage. One simply because the 575 is served out of AXminster, their
local office. The other two had previously been served out of AXminster
but moved about a half-mile over the line into ALpine. An appropriate
tear here and an "offer" for some Pac*Bell editorializing there, and
the charges magically vanished.

I understand that another station in town, served out of 95 Almaden,
has a bunch of 575 lines used for some promotion and they also do not
pay any mileage. I'm not sure why (but there is someone on this system
who *does* know--hint, hint.)

Which reminds me of the stormy beginnings of the choke network in the
SF Bay Area. (Oh no, here comes another story, Martha!) It was about
1966 and one of the rock 'n roll AM stations discovered contests
(really give-aways). Technicians in the 95 Almaden office were noticing
these instantaneous overloads of the trunks and the crossbar switching
equipment. In 1966 it was ALL crossbar. It didn't take long to
determine who was the culprit.

Phone company people were faced with a problem. Obviously they couldn't
design the network to handle that peak demand on an occasional basis,
and yet they couldn't be faced with periodic shutdowns that also
prevented emergency calls from being placed. One of the suggestions was
to tell the radio station that they couldn't "abuse their telephone
service" in that manner any longer upon pain of disconnection. The
radio station couldn't see the problem. "We only have four lines for
the contest. How can we possibly be causing any trouble?"

Of course, they had no idea of the trouble caused when hundreds of
calls were directed at one number. Trunks would become jammed with busy
signals (or reorders when the busy tone trunks would fill up) and
normal calls would be blocked. Looking at the problem, they decided
upon creating a special exchange that would have limited trunking and
not share trunks with any other prefix. That way, the special exchange
could busy out without affecting any other service.

Hence was born the choke network. But this is not the end of the story.
In 1972, some DJ at the big 50,000 watt rocker "discovered" how the
choke network worked. He was furious to find out that callers could
actually be blocked from calling him. He created a major stink which
spread to other radio stations and ended up with representatives from
Pacific Telephone and all the area stations in a conference. The long
and the short of it was that PacTel insisted that it had created the
choke network as a "service" to the stations, explaining that the only
alternative was "contest prohibition". They made their point, the DJ
was put in his place, and as an offering of good will, the area
engineers were treated to a grand tour of 95 Almaden, the downtown
office. (For you locals, the DJ was Tom Campbell, who hosted "KLOK
Talk", where this issue came up.)

Even so, from time to time, some DJ suddenly discovers that when he
dials the request lines from an office extension, it's busy (reorder)
and no request lines are in use. I have a canned explantion that
usually calms him/her down.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

sysop@pinn.uucp (09/28/89)

I read several messages about radio station's toll free phone lines
and I have some comments to add to the discussion.

I have lived here in South Florida for about 7 years now and have been
involved in broadcasting since I moved here.  I used to be chief engineer of
a TV station down here and at the time we had some audience participation
shows on the air.  This same discussion holds true for radio stations in the
area.

This area has always been known for its telephone contesting.  That is,
people are told to be the thus and such caller and they win something.
This had caused exchange overload in a very highly concentrated area.
Normally the phone company would have said too bad, but since there are
several military establishments that feed off some of these key COs,
something had to be done.  I don't know if this has been done in other parts
of the country, but ALL radio stations and TV stations that do any kind of
phone contesting have special lines installed here.  All lines are part of the
550 exchange from South Miami through to West Palm Beach.  These are called
"choke exchanges."  As far as the caller in concerned, there is only one
number to call, beginning with 550.  In each exchange area, this 550 number is
translated into a local exchange number and then FXed back to the station.
If memory serves, we actually had 4 different sets of FX lines.  They were
Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Deerfield and Palm Beach.  We paid plenty for them!
What was interesting was these lines were specially translated at each CO
point, but were ordinary FX lines for outgoing purposes.  I had them wired
up to our PABX so that I could make calls to any of these areas.

The reason they are called "choke exchanges" is that to prevent CO lockup,
only two calls from each exchange are allowed to go inter CO.  The rest of
the calls get a local exchange reorder.  Hence, the exchange chokes off the
calls before they can cause network overload.  In theory, its a good idea,
but in practice there are problems.  Since only two calls from each exchange
are allowed into the inter exchange network, if there are two stations
carrying on a contest at the same time, everyone trying to get into one
stations contest may block all calls from getting into the other stations
contest.

I hope you found this interesting.

Andy

{your favorite gateway}!codas!novavax!pinn!sysop

[Moderator's Note: Welcome to the Digest, Andy, and I hope you will become
a regular contributor.  PT]

jimmy@icjapan.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (09/28/89)

Talbot) writes:

>It's really too bad that 520 in Anaheim didn't get used. The 520 prefix
>was already in service in LA years before 520 even got assigned. 520 in
>Anaheim has a whole bunch of big centrex/DID customers on it, no hope
>of any change.

A friend of mine who works for a phone company (I refuse to call GTE
"THE" phone company) told me several years back that the people in the
L.A. division of Pac*Bell tried real hard to get the 714 people to
agree to use 520 for their mass calling prefix.  But they already had
their 977 and didn't want to change it.  That was stupid
short-sightedness in my opinion, as that would have made life easier
for many, including DJs, who would have been able to say, "In the 213,
818, or 714, dial 520-KQLZ" instead of the now-required awkward
practice of having to give out two different numbers.

On the matter of mass calling to ticket numbers, I know for a fact that
Ticketron's numbers in the LA area, while being standard POTS lines,
are programmed to choke in each switch, and probably in the tandems as
well.  This makes a lot more sense than the bill Congress passed
requiring that auto-dialers not be capable of redialing a number more
than 16 times (after they had just castigated the Japanese for similar
stupid telecommunications rules).

                         Jim Gottlieb (remote from Tokyo)
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
       <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
Fax: 011-81-3-239-7453               Voice Mail: 011-81-3-944-6221 ID#82-42-424

clements@bbn.com (10/03/89)

>If anyone is making a list, the "choke" exchange serving Atlanta is
>404-741.

And in Boston, it's 617-931-1xxx.  Note: Only ONE thousand's
group.  That's few enough that smart exchanges actually might
have a map of those 1000 numbers. Then they could allow a couple
of calls to different numbers within the group at the same time,
afor a little more inter-station fairness.  Not likely, I guess.

Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com