[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Blows Billing on Call To Shoup Salmon River Store

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 28-Sep-1989 2142) (09/30/89)

You may remember my call to the Shoup Salmon River store.  This was
part of my article back on 8 August:

>More interesting is the system in Shoup, Idaho.  Call 208 555-1212
>and ask for the Shoup Salmon River store -- you'll be told to call
>Shoup 24F3. It is what's called a "Farmer's Line," and it's sort of a
>single magneto drop with several stations.  The people out there
>maintain the line themselves.  It's single wire ground return.  The
>people on the line call each other with coded ringing (and being
>allowed to make local calls is one of the things that makes a farmer's
>line different from a toll station). They get incoming calls with
>coded ringing from the operator at a cord board.  They contact the
>cord board to get out with a loooooong ring.  The board handling
>calls is an AT&T board.

Well, the bill arrived, and AT&T blew it badly.

I have the following entry on my bill for the period August 20-September 19:

No.  Date     Time           Place            Area-Number    *   Min:Sec  Amount
 1   Aug 7   1000PM      EGYPT                 208057121    R       5      8.27

When I saw this, I knew no one had called Egypt from my phone, and I
called AT&T to have the call taken off the bill.  The AT&T rep
insisted that the "R" meant that the call had been direct dialled from
my phone (not actually true; if I had been unable to dial for some
reason it would have still been charged at the "R" rate).  I insisted
that the call had not been placed from my phone and that there must be
some sort of error.  I pointed out that I thought that it was strange
that the call was outside the billing period and that it was at
exactly 1000PM, indicating that there may have been some sort of
manual ticketing involved.  AT&T agreed to take the call off the bill.

Then, tonight, I mentioned the spurious call to Egypt to someone I
know who has half the toll-completing codes (or maybe all of them)
memorized from the old days when they were easily hackable.  He
immediately said, "Well, if it wasn't Egypt, it would have been
Salmon, Idaho."

The light went on!  I remembered the call to the Shoup Store.

Wanting to correct the problem and to prevent an AT&T security
investigation of the supposed call to Egypt, I called AT&T again to
explain what had actually happened and to offer to pay for the five
minute call to Idaho.  The service rep I talked to really couldn't
understand what I was talking about and told me that if AT&T had
agreed to take the Egypt call off the bill, that was that, and I could
have the call to Idaho for free.

Clearly either TSPS blew the automated ticketing or the operator
marked the manual ticket incorrectly.

/john

beall%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu (Judith Beall) (10/05/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0419m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> covert@covert.enet.dec.
com (John R. Covert  28-Sep-1989 2142) writes:

>Well, the bill arrived, and AT&T blew it badly.
>I have the following entry on my bill for the period August 20-September 19:

>No. Date    Time           Place            Area-Number    *   Min:Sec  Amount
> 1  Aug 7   1000PM         EGYPT            208057121    R       5      8.27

>When I saw this, I knew no one had called Egypt from my phone, and I
>called AT&T to have the call taken off the bill.  The AT&T rep
>insisted that the "R" meant that the call had been direct dialled from
>my phone (not actually true; if I had been unable to dial for some
>reason it would have still been charged at the "R" rate).  I insisted
>that the call had not been placed from my phone and that there must be
>some sort of error.  I pointed out that I thought that it was strange
>that the call was outside the billing period and that it was at
>exactly 1000PM, indicating that there may have been some sort of
>manual ticketing involved.  AT&T agreed to take the call off the bill.
[some stuff deleted]
>Wanting to correct the problem and to prevent an AT&T security
>investigation of the supposed call to Egypt, I called AT&T again to
>explain what had actually happened and to offer to pay for the five
>minute call to Idaho.  The service rep I talked to really couldn't
>understand what I was talking about and told me that if AT&T had
>agreed to take the Egypt call off the bill, that was that, and I could
>have the call to Idaho for free.

I recently moved to a new apartment and had my phone lines installed,
and after the first month I finally got the bill. On it was a call billed
through AT&T <our LD company is MCI> reading something like this:

==================================
ITM Date   Time    Min    *    Place and Number Called       Charge
1   Aug16          20    ST    IRAQ     IQ   9641751130      40.83
==================================

In fact, this is exactly how it appears on the phone bill. Not only do
I not know anyone in Iraq, but our phone service was not installed
until August 23, and not even requested until Aug 22... <amazing, one
day! :-> > What does AT&T do about such things? Do I send this part of
the bill in and say "what's the deal?"  I thought maybe it was the
person who had service before us <we get collect calls at all hours
from all over the world for whoever used to have this number>, but
would it get reassigned that quickly? <213-737-xxxx> How does this
happen? I am a novice at this but am fascinated by the discussion, and
really am curious how something like this works.  And what happens
when I report it? What does AT&T do from there?

Being really curious,
Judy