[comp.dcom.telecom] Locatable Ringers and More About 2500 Sets

macy@hal.uucp (10/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0424m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> lots of people wrote:

>In article <telecom-v09i0417m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, johnl@esegue.segue.
>boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>> ROLM phones have for years had the option to set the ringing sound to
>> any of eight different warbles ranging from high and squeaky to fairly

>On mechanical ringers (in 500 or 2500 equipment) two rings can be
>made by swapping the left gong in one tel set with the right gong in
>the other.

>[Moderator's Note: The way we fixed this problem in our office (we use all
>2500 sets, several years old) was to open the case on each phone, get inside
>and adjust the clappers so they produced different results every third or
>fourth phone. The phones sit maybe 10-15 feet apart from each other. One
>of three or four will just go 'click-click-click', another makes a very
>feeble ring, still another has a good hearty ring, etc.

There were several different gong types made by WECO and
Stromberg-Carlson for this purpose.  The installer would intentionally
swap out one of the standard gongs on each instrument in a large
office full of 500/2500 sets this would make all the sets give a
distinctive sounding ring.  As far as I can tell, these special gongs
disappeared from the catalogs about the same time as the advent of
modular jack/cords on phones.  They worked well, but certain
combinations of gongs made for some really odd sounding ringers.

Today, in our interconnect co., we still install 2500 sets with
conventional mechanical ringers. (We use Premier 2500, but Comdial's
and Cortelco's are OK, too) We tell our customers that the 2500 is
still the most durable and reliable telephone instrument we know of.
Dumb, but dependable (a lot like Centrex, i guess ;-) )

I do not like the electronic ringers. It appears that some people with
certain types of hearing loss have trouble hearing the ring of these
as well.

We often use 2500 models with "TAP" (controlled timed on-hook flash)
buttons and message waiting lites.  The light acts as a visual ring
indication, as well as providing message waiting indication on PBX's
with the feature. The TAP or flash button makes transfers easy and the
hookswitch is timed to provide a postive disconnect.  These enhanced
sets are known by different nomenclatures depending on the mfr., but
we call them 2507's or MW/TAP sets (for message wait/TAP).  They make
single line operation behind PBX's and Centrex much easier for most
users.

We adjust the ringers by:

	1. Swap ringer gongs.  Try swapping between sets for effect.
           The right and left gongs have different tones.  Try a set
           with two left gongs, for instance.

	2. Adjust ringer normal springs and gongs.  The gongs are not
           center drilled, but are instead intentionally drilled off
           center to allow adjustment.  Rotate them slightly while the
           phone is ringing for effect.

	3. Use black electrical tape along the rims of the gongs to adjust
           tone and persistence of the gongs.  You get a different sound
           depending on where the tape is placed, and how long a piece
           you use.  (Note: REAL telephone men use gray electrical tape,
           not black!)

If you like 2500 sets, the very best were made in the late 70's and
early 80's by WECO, ITT and Stromberg-Carlson.  They had:

	1. Metal ringer frames
	2. Heavy metal baseplates. (Made by Led Zepplin?)
	3. The newer electronic bubble-feel type touch tone
           pads (no mechanical arms inside)
	   (this is the most common item to fail on a 2500 set.
           the older pads failed much more often.)
	4. Polarity guards.
	5. Some were fully modular corded, but many were quarter mod.

Note that all 2500 sets by the standard mfr.'s are date stamped on the
bottom.  I buy used sets meeting the above specs often at Hamfests and
from brokers.  They are worth putting new plastic on.  They will often
outlast some of the newer sets.  Since the mfr.'s of decent 2500 sets
have all recently increased their warranty period to five years, the
quality has bounced back a bit, though.

Gee, I could be excommunicated from the Secret Society of Telephone
Installers for divulging these secrets!

BTW: Neon lights are indeed an excellent visual ring indication.  Try
using lights set up for standard 110VAC, often prepackaged in a
cartridge with pigtail lead.  This is what we use to retrofit message
waiting lights on standard 2500 sets.

Boy, I'm really in trouble with the SSTI now!

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
       Alt.disclaimer:            Your milage may vary.
       Biz.disclaimer:            My opinions are my own. What do I know?

Inside telephone joke:
Sounds made by Japanese crossbar switch: crick,crick, crick,crick
(and when the phone gets generator:)    ling,ling, ling,ling !
Hey, it was funny when I went to WECO No.5 Xbar school!

[Moderator's Note: In my office, I have a Comdial 2500 phone with a TAP
button. It's a great help with call-waiting, etc.  PT]