[comp.dcom.telecom] NYTel Still On Strike and Vandalism

roy%phri@uunet.uu.net (Roy Smith) (09/30/89)

	Just in case you forgot that NYTel is still on strike and that
vandalism is still going on, I heard on the radio a couple of days ago
of another incident involving some underground cables being cut on
Long Island, depriving about 4000 customers of phone service.  NYTel
has raised their reward for information leading to the arrest and
conviction of vandals to $100,000.

	Then again, maybe it had nothing to do with the strike --
Metro North (Amtrack commuter service into Grand Central Terminal)
reports continuing problems with people stealing the copper cables
used for their low-voltage signal lines (there is a big black market
in stolen copper, be it stolen cables or copper plumbing stripped from
abandoned buildings).

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or-
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu "The connector is the network"

jp@cs.utexas.edu (John Pimentel) (10/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0421m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> roy%phri@uunet.uu.net
(Roy Smith) writes:

>	Just in case you forgot that NYTel is still on strike and that
>vandalism is still going on, I heard on the radio a couple of days ago
[...]
>	Then again, maybe it had nothing to do with the strike --
>Metro North (Amtrack commuter service into Grand Central Terminal)
>reports continuing problems with people stealing the copper cables

Are you kidding? I an easier time believing that the boys on the line
are getting a "little" upset that they haven't won yet. After all, if
everyone in every company went on strike, because "we" didn't want to
pay our share of medical expenses, after agreeing to that very thing
the last time "we" went on strike, nothing would ever get done in this
country. As for the IBEW/CWA strike, well what will happen, is
probably the same thing that happened the last time, they will come
back accepting less than what they had when they went out. :-)

And as for the vandalism, as I said they are probably getting a "little"
upset and wish to invoke "public opinion".  Don't worry be happy :-)

Take care and have a good day.

John.

These are my soul opinions. If it's too hot in the kitchen, open a window.
As for the rest, standard disclaimer applies.  UUCP: frog!jp