[comp.dcom.telecom] Area Code Splits

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/20/89)

To telecom moderator:  The timing you gave regarding 703/804 and 305/904
splits is contradicted by my immediately-foregoing message.  Here is what
I have regarding splits (I don't know what if anything was done before
July 1965):

305/904 Florida, July 1965
703/804 Virginia, June 1973
714/619 California, November 1982
713/409 Texas, March 1983
213/818 California, January 1984
212/718 New York, September 1984
303/719 Colorado, 5 Mar. 1988
305/407 Florida, 16 Apr. 1988
617/508 Massachusetts, 16 July 1988
312/708 Illinois, November 1989
202 District of Columbia & vicinity, 1 Oct. 1990
    (202 area code is being withdrawn from Md. and Va. suburbs)
214/903 Texas, fall 1990
201/908 New Jersey, 1991
415/510 California, 7 October 1991 (full cutover 27 January 1992)

[Moderator's Note: Well, I *thought* Virginia was split earlier than that.
I'm almost certain I saw references to 804 in the late sixties. I guess
not. Thanks for the detailed correction on this, Carl.   PT]

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/21/89)

References to 804 in the late sixties?  Unfortunately, I have had
non-Telecom cases where I react "I heard or read that somewhere" and
can no longer pin down where "somewhere" was.  Around 1976 or so, I
was looking at a 1972 Williamsburg (Va.) phone book, already knowing
that Virginia had areas 703 and 804, when I discovered that it said to
dial 1+7D for long-distance within Virginia!  All of Virginia was
703-NNX when that phone book went to press, and there is a Washington
Post article announcing the new area code 804.

clements@bbn.com (09/23/89)

Speaking of area code splits, note that some area codes get much
fuller than others before they are split.  For example, 617 (Boston)
was split into 617/508 before any exchanges of the form N0X or N1X
were assigned.  So it wasn't as full as a number of other NPAs
were/are.

It would be interesting to see a "how full was it" listing of the
split area codes if anyone can find that data.

Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com

Maynard) (09/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0391m08@vector.dallas.tx.us> cmoore@brl.mil writes:
>214/903 Texas, fall 1990

Does this include moving the Fort Worth area of 817 into 214? For the
longest time, duplicate NXXs weren't assigned to both Dallas and Fort
Worth, even if they wouldn't have had local calling scope to each other.
I had always heard that that was because they intended to make Dallas
and Fort Worth into one area code one day.

(I'm watching this one from afar; we in Houston got our split a while
back.)

Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.
{attctc,bellcore}!texbell!splut!jay +----------------------------------------
               America works less when you say..."Union Yes!"

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/02/89)

I assume that 817 is NOT affected by the 214/903 split.
I had never before heard of Dallas and Fort Worth possibly
becoming one area code.  I think there are some EMS (extended
metro service) prefixes with 7 digit calling to both cities.

doug@letni.uucp (Doug Davis) (10/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0422m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB)
writes:

>I assume that 817 is NOT affected by the 214/903 split.

That is what Southwestern Bell says...  But I bet it's not quite true.

>I had never before heard of Dallas and Fort Worth possibly
>becoming one area code.  I think there are some EMS (extended
>metro service) prefixes with 7 digit calling to both cities.

There are several EMS connections between them, (817)-467 being the
main Fort Worth EMS exchange, there are also some FX lines 488
(weatherford) and 994 (cellular), All of these are advertised as
"unaffected" by the split.

Presently and EMS customer dials 214-XXX-XXXX (notice the lack of 1 or
0) to call into Dallas.  I have to assume that people in Dallas
calling Fort Worth would dial 817-XXX-XXXX.

As a side note, it was a little less than a year ago when a person
with EMS or FX service into the 817 or 214 area could just dial direct
to either area code.  Seems that 214 started running out of NXX's and
they quickly (with less than two months warning) added the prefix
requirement.  :-(

There are also ajacent calling areas, like Arlington / Grand Praire
those poor people are just now getting used to prefixing 214/817 when
dialing across the street. ;-)  Since it appears that Waxahachie
will be 903, they should be good and warmed up, cause they are gonna
have to get used to dialing 903 as well, when calling someone down the
block.

Good trivia question, what's the most area codes in a local calling
(non EMS, or extra charge) area you know of?  I'm sure three isn't the
most, but it's gotta be up there.

Anyway, since my office is in one of the areas that will be serviced
by 903 and my home EMS service isn't supposed to be effected I wonder
if I will still be prefixing the calls with 214, or 903..  (check back
in late '90 and i'll let ya know ;-) )

Doug Davis/1030 Pleasant Valley Lane/Arlington/Texas/76015/817-467-3740
{sys1.tandy.com, motown!sys1, uiucuxc!sys1 lawnet, attctc, texbell} letni!doug
"ack, pifft!  *ZOT* RRRREEEEEEEAAAAOOOOOOWW!" -- Sound effects from the "Bill
The Cat'lprod(TM)" Commercial,  Available in better hardware stores near you.

[Moderator's Note: I think phones at the 'Four Corners Monument' (the only
place in the United States common to four state boundary lines) have local
service -- for whatever it is worth out in the desert -- to 303, 602, 505,
and 801. The Navajo Indian Reservation at Aneth, Utah has local service
on all four of the above. Any others?  PT]

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0436m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> doug@letni.lawnet.com
writes:
>Good trivia question, what's the most area codes in a local calling
>(non EMS, or extra charge) area you know of?  ...

This is kind of cheating, but cellular customers in New York City get
local calls to all of 201, 212, 718, 516, and (I think) 914.  When 201
splits, they'll get 908 as well.

Even POTS customers in New York get message unit calls to 212, 718, 516,
and 914.

John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl
Massachusetts has over 100,000 unlicensed drivers.  -The Globe