[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone Cable "Rustling" in the Wild West :-)

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (10/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0421m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> roy%phri@uunet.uu.net
(Roy Smith) writes:
> 	Then again, maybe it had nothing to do with the strike --
> Metro North (Amtrack commuter service into Grand Central Terminal)
> reports continuing problems with people stealing the copper cables
> used for their low-voltage signal lines (there is a big black market
> in stolen copper, be it stolen cables or copper plumbing stripped from
> abandoned buildings).

	During the 1970's there was a particular problem with thefts of
telephone cable in the southwestern U.S., especially Arizona, New Mexico
and Texas.  The target was aerial lead-sheathed toll cable in remote
areas of these states.  AT&T Long Lines was a particular victim.

	The modus operandi was for the perpetrators, under cover of
darkness, to first cut the suspension strands and remove the lashing wire
from a mile or so of cable, allowing the cable to drop to the ground.
This portion of the act, being the most time-consuming, did not break
electrical continuity and therefore set off any carrier loss-of-pilot
alarms.  The next step was to cut one end, and then begin cutting the
cable into lengths to be loaded into a truck.  With several perpetrators,
a mile of cable could be cut up and loaded onto a truck LONG BEFORE anyone
could localize the fault and dispatch a repair crew.

	I can just imagine the expression on the faces of a Long Lines crew
when they find a mile or so of cable has simply *vanished*!

	The profit from this enterprise was tempting.  A typical lead sheath
toll cable, like a type S-54 27-pr 19 AWG, yields about 1/2 pound of copper
and 2 pounds of lead per lineal foot.  Using late 1970's prices, a 5,000 ft
section of cable would yield around 2,500 pounds of copper and 10,000 pounds
of lead, with a total metal scrap price of at least $ 3,500.00.  Not bad for
an evening's work with little risk of apprehension.

	The combination of some arrests, burying of cable, and declining
lead and copper prices caused this activity to diminish, although the
problem does reappear from time to time.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

ee5391aa%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (10/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0425m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> kitty!larry@uunet.uu.
net writes:
>	During the 1970's there was a particular problem with thefts of
>telephone cable in the southwestern U.S., especially Arizona, New Mexico
>and Texas.  The target was aerial lead-sheathed toll cable in remote
>areas of these states.  AT&T Long Lines was a particular victim.

There is a town called Las Vegas, located in northeastern New Mexico.
A few years back, when the price of copper was rising exponentially,
one of the phone people was driving out to do some routine
maintainence on some lines south of town. From up on a hill, he saw
four turkeys (human variety) in a pickup truck taking down the copper
lines on part of the local distribution net for that rural area.

He "phoned home" on the radio, and the Sheriff was dispatched. They
caught three of the four without difficulty, but the fourth had
disappeared. After a few minutes they found him hiding under the
truck.

I never heard what happened to those guys, but maybe I don't need to
know.

					Phone home,

   "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." -- Mack the Knife
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

cramer@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Clayton Cramer) (10/04/89)

net (Larry Lippman) writes:

> 	The modus operandi was for the perpetrators, under cover of
> darkness, to first cut the suspension strands and remove the lashing wire
> from a mile or so of cable, allowing the cable to drop to the ground.
> This portion of the act, being the most time-consuming, did not break
> electrical continuity and therefore set off any carrier loss-of-pilot
> alarms.  The next step was to cut one end, and then begin cutting the
> cable into lengths to be loaded into a truck.  With several perpetrators,
> a mile of cable could be cut up and loaded onto a truck LONG BEFORE anyone
> could localize the fault and dispatch a repair crew.

A similar problem, though with different motivations, bedeviled the
U.S. Army's telegraph lines in the same area in the 1870s and 1880s,
and led to the Army's experiments with heliographs.

Hostile Indians in the remote parts of the West would cut the Army's
telegraph lines.  At first, they would just cut the lines and let them
fall, but a down line was immediately obvious, and quickly repaired.
After a while, the Indians would cut the line, and use strips of
rawhide to hold the wire in place.  At first glance, it wasn't obvious
whether the Indians had cut the wire, or whether a broken wire had
been spliced by the Army.

Hence, the heliograph.

Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants
and patriots alike.  It is its natural manure." -- Thomas Jefferson
Disclaimer?  You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like mine!

gideony@microsoft.UUCP (Gideon Yuvall) (10/10/89)

Similar things happened in Sinai: the Bedouin would pull out
Israeli 'phone-lines, and sell off the copper. One of their
lawyers argued that it was unclear who owned Sinai, and that
therefore nobody could outlaw this practice. He won the case;
after that, the Bedouin would be charged, not with stealing
the copper, but with smuggling it into Israel.

Gideon Yuval, gideony@microsof.UUCP, 206-882-8080 (fax:206-883-8101;TWX:160520)