[comp.dcom.telecom] Line Capture Device - RJ31X

newman@uunet.uu.net (Bo Newman) (10/03/89)

I am trying to help a friend install an auto dialier on his home
security system and I need some information on "line capture
units".  I understand that the one you can get from the "phone"
company is called an RJ31X.  My questions are:

1)	Where is it installed? (a) In series between the point where
        the phone line enters the house and all other phones? (b) on
        the local loop but not at the house? or (c) elsewhere.

2)	What alternatives exist?

3)	How does it work?

4)	Are there any restriction on the distance between the RJ31X
        and the "Controling Device"?

An addition question related to this instalattion, is anyone aware
of the need for special permits to operate an alarm auto dialer in
Maryland  301-551-xxxx.

Please Respond via E-Mail ... If there are enough responses, I'll
post a summary.

:Bo Newman	 newman@inco.uu.net	      uunet!inco!newman	  :
:McDonnell Douglas Electronics Systems Company (MDESC-WDC)	  :
:McLean Virginia						  :
:Voice Mail USA (202) 898-5564                                    :
:ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY	         			  :

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/04/89)

An RJ-31 is a specially wired connector placed in series with the
phone line near where it enters the house, in front of all the other
phones.  You plug an 8-position miniature phone plug into it.  Four
wires are used: pins 5 and 4 are tip and ring from the phone company,
and pins 8 and 1 are tip and ring to the rest of the phones.  The
equipment you plug in, most often a burglar alarm, normally bridges 1
to 4 and 5 to 8, so the rest of the phones act normally.  When it
wants to make a call it can butt in, force a hangup, and do whatever
it wants.

There are little shorting bars in the RJ31 socket that bridge 1 to 4
and 5 to 8, so if you unplug the equipment the rest of your phones
work.

The best place for the RJ31 is inside the alarm control box where a
burglar can't unplug it easily, but they usually seem to be installed
near where the phone line enters the house.

Regards,

John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu
Massachusetts has 64 licensed drivers who are over 100 years old.  -The Globe

jeh%sdcsvax@ucsd.edu (10/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0431m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>,
 johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
> An RJ-31 is a specially wired connector placed in series with the
> phone line near where it enters the house, in front of all the other
> phones...
  (nice description of RJ-31 elided)
> The best place for the RJ31 is inside the alarm control box where a
> burglar can't unplug it easily, but they usually seem to be installed
> near where the phone line enters the house.

This reminds me of a place I used to work which had an autodialing
burglar alarm.  The alarm was triggered by opening any of several
protected doors from the public corridor into the private office
space, with a 30-sec or so delay.  Authorized personnel were supposed
to come in through one particular door, near which was the keypad
which would let you cancel the alarm before it called the alarm
company.

The alarm control box was installed right next to the keypad.  An
intruder would have no doubt as to what the box was because when the
timeout expired the box could be heard pulse-dialing with a relay
(click-click-click...  click-click-click-click-click... etc.).  The
sound was unmistakeably that of a telephone dialer at work.

Of course the box was locked.  But, leading out from the box and
stapled to the wall in plain view was the standard beige-jacketed
4-conductor inside phone wire!  Obviously if one didn't want to take
time forcing the lock on the control box, a simple snip of the phone
wire would keep the box from calling anybody!  And, since it used
pulse dial, there'd be plenty of time to hear the dialing, notice the
wire, and cut it...

The same place had a lock on the elevators, so that after hours, you
had to use a key or the elevators wouldn't stop at their floor.  (The
stairwell doors were normally locked from the stair side.)  The
control panel on which the lock was mounted (inside each elevator car)
was secured by six ordinary phillips-head screws.  The keyswitch was
positioned right next to the button for the floor, making its function
rather obvious ("Gee!  This button doesn't work!  I'll bet this lock
has something to do with it!").  Unless its backside was protected in
some way a simple clip lead across its terminals would suffice to "hot
wire" the elevator.

No doubt they had paid big bucks for all this stuff, and felt
secure... I pointed all this out once, but they didn't want to hear
it, to put it mildly.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh