[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Gimmicks Put Common Sense on Hold

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (10/05/89)

The following item appeared in Richard Roeper's column in the <Chicago
Sun Times>, Wednesday, October 4, 1989. I thought you might enjoy it.

	       Phone Gimmicks Put Common Sense on Hold
	       =======================================
			  By Richard Roeper

"Hi kids, this is Jose Canseco of the Oakland A's. If you want to know
the true story about how fast I was driving when I got that ticket and
why I had a handgun in my car, call the Jose Canseco Hotline. Just
dial 1-900-xxx-xxxx...."  -- Television commercial

Maybe I'm preternaturally presumptuous, but something tells me that
when Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone in 1876, he did not
do it so youngsters could one day pay $1 a minute to hear a baseball
player's rationalizations for driving his Jaguar 125 m.p.h. and
keeping a loaded handgun in the car.

Nevertheless, the toll call industry is big business, with projected
revenues of $1.5 billion for 1989. There are more than 1000 of these
900 numbers, including --

+ The US Naval Observatory Master Clock
  "Eastern Time, 9 hours, 13 minutes, 45 seconds. Universal Time, 13
  hours, 13 minutes, 50 seconds."

+ New Kids on the Block Hotline
  "Hi, this is Donnie of the New Kids, and it's really cool to be able
  to talk to you again...."

+ Laugh Line
  "Did you hear about the ghost who could never lie to his wife? She
  could see right through him!"

+ True Romantic Confessions
  "My name is Corinne, and I'm a waitress in Reno. For a long time, I
  had this thing for my sister's boyfriend, and last week when she was
  out of town...."

Among my favorites are the Paula Abdul Hotline, Women's Private
Fantasies, Penn State Football Update, NBC Soapline and Telephone
Pals.

The first 900 number was established in 1980, but the concept did not
really take off until about 1986.

That's also about the time when the telephone took control of our
lives.

Until a few years ago, the phone was still a rather basic
communications device. You dialed a number; if someone answered you
were in business. If no one answered, it meant no one was home. If you
got a busy signal, it meant someone was already on the phone, so you
hung up and called back later.

Now there are more phone features and options than you would find in a
new car.

If you are expecting a call at home, but you have to go out, you can
forward your calls to another number. If you wish to take calls while
you are on the phone, there is call waiting. If you want to talk to
two parties at once, there's three way calling. If you want to place
calls from your car or your boat or your backyard or an airplane,
there are car phones and boat phones and cordless phones and airplane
phones. If you wear a beeper, you can be reached anywhere. If you wear
the Timely Beeper, which is a fake, self-activated beeping device, you
can pretend to receive an important call then cut out early on a
nightmare date or a disasterous business meeting.

As if all that was not enough, Illinois Bell is introducing several
new services to the Chicago area.

Repeat dialing allows you to dial the same number over and over again
for a 30 minute period. This would be a fun feature for the 'Fatal
Attraction' types who want to call ex-lovers AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN
AND AGAIN!!!!!

Call screening lets customers block calls from designated numbers.
This is an especially useful device if your ex-boyfriend is the kind
of guy who goes out on Friday night, pops down a dozen beers, comes
home at 3 AM, looks through the old photo album while listening to
'your song' and says to himself, "I've got a brilliant idea -- I'll
call her now and ramble incoherently, and she'll want me back for
sure!"

Automatic callback instructs your phone to call back the last incoming
call, whether it was answered or not. Say you're at home and you
receive an unsolicited sales call from some guy at 9 PM; wouldn't it
be fun to call the salesguy back and engage in some recreational
harassment of your own?

In addition to all these complications, on November 11, the suburbs
will switch to the new 708 area code. So for example, if you live in
Cicero and you want to call your buddy down the street at 63rd and
Pulaski, you'll have to dial 1-312 before his regular number.

Phone clutter knows no bounds. Toll-free numbers and toll-call numbers
and Dial 9 for an outside line and voice mail and designer phones and
credit card calls and designated ringing and Information, what city
please?  and TickeMaster phone jams and call identification.

Oh, for the days of basic black rotary dial phones and HUdson 3-2700!

There's only one person I know who still has the traditional dial
telephone -- my mother. I wanted to tell her how proud I am that she
has never given in to any of this phone gadgetry, so I gave her a
call.

And was instructed to leave my message after the beep.

			 ====================

[Moderator's Note: For non-Chicagoans, 'HUdson 3-2700' was part of a
jingle which played night and day, it seems, on television and the
radio for a home improvement service. After telling about their services
in the late movie commercial slots, a man's voice would sing, 'Hudson
Three, Two Seven Hundred'.    PT]

roy%phri@uunet.uu.net (Roy Smith) (10/09/89)

> The following item appeared in Richard Roeper's column in the <Chicago
> Sun Times>, Wednesday, October 4, 1989.

> "Hi kids, this is Jose Canseco of the Oakland A's. If you want to know
> the true story about how fast I was driving when I got that ticket [...]

 	This isn't for real, is it?  If it is, it certainly fits any
reasonable definition of obscene that I can think of.  Even paying $20
to hear Wanda tell me what she wants to do to me isn't as bad.

	Yesterday, I saw a commercial twice (during the Giants-Eagles
football game, which also qualified as obscene) which urged people to
call one of two numbers ($2 for the first minute) to register their
opinion on abortion: Should it be legal or not?  The votes will be
tallied and sent to the appropriate legislators (who, if they have any
sense, will toss them in the trash, where they belong).

	This one really bothered me.  I'm sure there are a lot of
rabidly pro- or anti-abortionists who leapt to their phones to make
sure their vote was counted, if for no other reason than because they
feared that if they didn't, the other side would out-call them and
win.  I don't mind people expressing their opinions (even if I don't
agree with them) and I don't, in theory, mind people taking polls, but
what these guys were doing was just being mercinaries, willing to
fight for whichever side would bid higher for their services, or more
accurately, for both sides at the same time.

Roy Smith,
Public Health Research Institute 455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or-
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu "The connector is the network"

kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0439m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> Roy Smith <roy%phri@
uunet.uu.net> writes:

-> The following item appeared in Richard Roeper's column in the <Chicago
-> Sun Times>, Wednesday, October 4, 1989.

-> "Hi kids, this is Jose Canseco of the Oakland A's. If you want to know
-> the true story about how fast I was driving when I got that ticket [...]

> 	This isn't for real, is it?  If it is, it certainly fits any
>reasonable definition of obscene that I can think of.  Even paying $20
>to hear Wanda tell me what she wants to do to me isn't as bad.

The followup to this is that Jose is holding a drawing for some World
Series tickets.  First you call his 900- number.  The recording tells
you ANOTHER 900- number to call to enter the drawing.

I guess even celebrities can be sleaze.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)