[comp.dcom.telecom] Selective Call Interupption

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/09/89)

SBT offers 'Ring Master' whereby for more $$ (of course) you can
have several different number assignments on one actual pair.
Then you receive different rings {long short short,
long short long short, short short short, etc} to identify
which number is being called.

They also offer call interuption. (IMHO-a system designed by
those who hawk high blood pressure medication)

Now if you have both, do you get long and short beeps in your
ear to identify incoming calls?

A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM
Unless the host (that isn't close)......................pob 570-335
is busy, hung or dead....................................33257-0335

[Moderator's Note: As a matter of fact, in the version of this offered by
Illinois Bell, called 'Selective Ringing', you *do* get distinctive call
waiting tones for each line. You get a chirp and a pause, two chirps and
a pause, or a chirp-pause-chirp. And for some reason, unlike 'normal'
call-waiting here, where you get notified on the first ring, and again
on the fourth ring (as the caller hears the rings), when associated with
Starline, we get only the first chirp(s)....no reminder chirp(s). When
your service is on the newest of the digital switches here, the person
you are talking to doesn't even hear them! Originally, the person you
were talking to would get a 'ker-chunk!' as the line dropped for a second.
Now all he hears is less than a second of dead silence if you are the
person talking. If *he* is talking at the time, he hears nothing.  PT]

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0440m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.
edu (David Lesher) writes:

> SBT offers 'Ring Master' whereby for more $$ (of course) you can
> have several different number assignments on one actual pair.

This is but one of the "simulated facilities" features made possible
by electronic switching. The term "simulated facilities" is actually
an in-house term used by Pac*Bell personnel.

Call waiting and "Ring Master" are commonly known SF services, where
telco provides some of the functionality of additional equipment
without actually tying it up (call waiting--"like having two lines",
etc.), but Pac*Bell has the best scam going. It's called WATS service
when associated with Commstar.

If you have a WATS line with Commstar, you don't actually have a
physical line. You dial a code (such as *14) to "access" the WATS from
any line in the Commstar group. This is "simulated facilities" at its
finest. You pay the monthly for the WATS ($25.00) but the telco
doesn't have to provide a line. Dialing the code simply executes a
class of service change for that call (changes the billing number).

Fun with your phone: Dial the number readback code. Your number is
announced. Then dial your WATS code followed by the number readback
code. The POTS number for your "simulated facilities" WATS line is
announced.

> [Moderator's Note: As a matter of fact, in the version of this offered by
> Illinois Bell, called 'Selective Ringing', you *do* get distinctive call
> waiting tones for each line. You get a chirp and a pause, two chirps and
> a pause, or a chirp-pause-chirp. And for some reason, unlike 'normal'
> call-waiting here, where you get notified on the first ring, and again
> on the fourth ring (as the caller hears the rings), when associated with
> Starline, we get only the first chirp(s)....no reminder chirp(s).

This appears to be part and parcel of that mini-Centrex-type service.
You only get one "beep" on Commstar Call Waiting as well. Incidently,
I am told that Commstar (or Starline) is simply a sub-group of a real
Centrex group. If you know others with Starline or Commstar in your
prefix, there are some interesting tricks you can do. Even so, it is
possible to transfer any call on your line to any other phone in your
switch, regardless of prefix or features on the destination line.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !