[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Cards

wtho@mcsun.eu.net (Tom Hofmann) (09/26/89)

As I see there are two different types of phone cards around the world.
One type is handled like a credit card of the telephone company: for
using it you make an operator assisted call and tell the operator your
card number, or you type the card number directly into the phone (e.g.
USA).  For the other type you pay a certain amount and this amount is
coded on the card itself. For usage you push the card into a special
slot of a public phone, and the coded amount is decreased while making
a call.  An "empty" card can be thrown away (e.g. Switzerland).

What I would like to know:  Isn't there a country (or LDC in the US)
where phone calls can be paid be regular, internationally accepted
credit cards (Visa, Master Card, American Express, etc.)?  Phone calls
would get much easier while travelling abroad.  Or is there a reason,
why telephone companies do not accept them?

Tom Hofmann        wtho@cgch.UUCP

gabe@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu (Gabe Wiener) (09/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0409m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> cgch!wtho@mcsun.eu.net
(Tom Hofmann) writes:

>What I would like to know:  Isn't there a country (or LDC in the US)
>where phone calls can be paid be regular, internationally accepted
>credit cards (Visa, Master Card, American Express, etc.)?  Phone calls
>would get much easier while travelling abroad.  Or is there a reason,
>why telephone companies do not accept them?

I often see such phones in airports.  You pick up the receiver, dial your
number, and then slide your credit card through the slot (Visa, MC, AmEx).
You then push a button on the phone indicating the long distance carrier
you want, and your call rings through.

Gabe Wiener - Columbia Univ.      "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings
gabe@ctr.columbia.edu              to be seriously considered as a means of
gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu        communication. The device is inherently of
72355.1226@compuserve.com          no value to us."

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/27/89)

(Tom Hofmann) writes:
>What I would like to know:  Isn't there a country (or LDC in the US)
>where phone calls can be paid be regular, internationally accepted
>credit cards (Visa, Master Card, American Express, etc.)? ...

Here in the US, some pay phones, particularly those in airports, do in fact
take regular credit cards.  They have a slot through which you run the card
so it can read the number magnetically, then you dial the number, then if
the call is out of the local region, you push a button corresponding to the
LD carrier you want to use, with typical choices being MCI, Sprint, and ITT.
AT&T has their own distinctive looking card caller phones that used to take
only AT&T's own card but now are also starting to take Amex and bank cards.
In all these cases, the phone transmits the credit card number in a torrent
of DTMF tones, so I suppose that if you knew the protocol you could type in
the card number yourself.  Entering a bank card number at the time when you
would enter your phone card number doesn't work.

I also once saw a COCOT at a car rental place in Denver that let you type in
a bank card number yourself, and claimed that the charge for doing so was
cheaper than that for a telco calling card.  I can believe that; telcos are
reputed to charge 75 cents apiece for billing OCC calls but I know that a
bank charges more like 35 cents for an electronically submitted Master Card
or Visa charge.

The Airfones found on too many airplanes these days only take regular credit
cards, not phone cards, but at $2.50/minute and terrible voice quality they're
only for the desperate.

John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu
Massachusetts has 64 licensed drivers who are over 100 years old.  -The Globe

jimmy@icjapan.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (09/29/89)

(Tom Hofmann) writes:

>As I see there are two different types of phone cards around the world.
>For the other type you pay a certain amount and this amount is
>coded on the card itself. For usage you push the card into a special
>slot of a public phone, and the coded amount is decreased while making
>a call.  An "empty" card can be thrown away (e.g. Switzerland).

While these stored-value cards are definitely convenient and one avoids
calling card surcharges, they always seemed to me to be too susceptible
to fraud.  After all, the sole record of your balance is sitting on the
card in your pocket.

Well, today's Japan Times reports the case of someone who was charged
with buying cards with 50 10-yen (about 7 U.S. cents) units on them and
reprogramming them with several thousand units and then selling them.

Surprisingly, the case was dropped because the court determined that
this person had not broken any laws!  They said that since he had not
planned to use the cards himself, he had not cheated the phone company
out of any money.  And since he dutifully informed the people he sold
the cards to that they had been modified, he was not guilty of any
securities law violation.

I suspect that the Diet will need to quickly come up with a law to make
this illegal, or a massive industry will sprout, with no fear of
prosecution.

The article did not mention anything about the eventual end-users of
the cards or whether they would be prosecuted.

Jim Gottlieb 					Info Connections, Tokyo, Japan
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
       <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
Fax: (011)+81-3-239-7453           Voice Mail: (011)+81-3-944-6221 ID#82-42-424

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (10/02/89)

Regarding the question about LD carriers taking regular bank
plastic, I think I read recently that MCI will soon start accepting
bank credit cards for toll calls.  This is without having to use the
card reader phones in airports.  You will dial the MCI operator and
give your Visa number.

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP
MCI Mail: 3288544

silber@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Silber) (10/05/89)

(Tom Hofmann) writes:
>What I would like to know:  Isn't there a country (or LDC in the US)
>where phone calls can be paid be regular, internationally accepted
>credit cards (Visa, Master Card, American Express, etc.)?  Phone calls
>would get much easier while travelling abroad.  Or is there a reason,
>why telephone companies do not accept them?

I was able to place an international call from Heathrow airport using
my Visa card ... the phone had a magnetic strip reader which read my
card and permitted me to direct dial.  The charge appeared on my bill
next month from British Telecom.

"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."
                                                         --Sen. Everett Dirksen

Jeffrey A. Silber/silber@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager/Cornell Center for Theory & Simulation in Science &
Engineering

U5434122@ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au (10/13/89)

net (Tom Hofmann) writes:

>>What I would like to know:  Isn't there a country (or LDC in the US)
>>where phone calls can be paid be regular, internationally accepted
>>credit cards (Visa, Master Card, American Express, etc.)? ...

In Australia we have card phones which accept Amex and Visa, but not
MC, for some reason.  They also accept most bank debit cards, and the
domestic Australian credit card 'Bankcard'.

To operate the phone, you lift the handpiece and swipe your card.  If
the card is a debit card, you are prompted to enter your PIN.  Then
you must select the account you wish to charge: credit, savings or
cheque account.

The telephone then verifies the card, PIN, and looks up your current
balance for cheque or savings accounts, showing you the funds you have
available.

Only then are you presented with a dial tone.

Unfortunately, the minimum cost is $1.20 ($US1.00), so you have to
make a LD call or 4 local calls ( 30c each, untimed ) for it to be
worth it.

Current call cost is displayed as the call progresses.

These phones are usually found in airports, major hotels and post offices.