[comp.dcom.telecom] Apartment Door Answering Service & More on Picturephone tm

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (10/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0436m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> the Telecom Moderator
writes:

> Apartment building front door 'enterphone service' provided by
> Illinois Bell (a CO-based service) also uses panel phones, but with
> armored handsets instead of the old kind which retracted back into the wall.

	The service to which you refer is known as ADAS (Apartment
Door Answering Service), and was primarily available in CO's served by
No. 1 ESS and No. 2 ESS.  There was actual ADAS hardware in the CO
which was connected to each subscriber line, but I never actually saw
it and don't know any technical details.

	The lobby telephone was a touch-tone panel telephone, with the
prospective visitor dialing an abbreviated 3-digit number (selected
from a directory chart) to reach the desired apartment.  A
call-waiting feature was automatically implemented with ADAS in the
event that a regular CO call was in progress at the time of an ADAS
call, or vice versa.  The entrance door was opened by the subscriber
dialing a particular single digit.

	A CO pair provided a switched 48 volts to operate an interface
relay in the apartment building, with the contacts of this relay being
connected to an electric strike which opened the entrance door.  More
than one entrance door/electric strike could be accommodated.  The
timing interval for the electric door strike was controlled in the CO,
and was a customer-specified option.

	With the advent of divestiture and related changes in the way
BOC's operate, I suspect that ADAS may be no longer offered for new
installations, although I could be wrong.  I haven't seen an ADAS
installation in a good many years.

> And for quite a few years, *the* picturephone center was located
> in the lobby of the Illinois Bell HQ building, 212 West Washington St.
> They had a rather nice looking conference room set up, with camera,
> speakers, etc, and they rented it out by the hour to companies wanting
> to have picturephone conferences with a branch in some other city.  PT]

	As far as I know, the Bell System Picturephone >CENTERS< did
not in fact use the station apparatus which is commonly referred to as
"Picturephone".  Instead, the Picturephone Centers used conventional
video cameras and monitors, with the camera being typically hidden
behind a wooden panel, having just its lens protrude.  While the
station-variety Picturephone service used video bandwidth compression
to about 1 MHz, as far as I know, the Picturephone Centers arranged
their conferences using a standard broadcast-quality 6 MHz monochrome
video channel.

	I have taken part in a few Picturephone Center conferences,
with the most recent being about 12 years ago; in fact, somewhere I
still have a souvenir ball-point pen given out by New York Telephone
after attending a conference at their Picturephone Center at Columbus
Circle in Manhattan. :-) The Bell System charged exorbitant rates for
use of Picturephone Centers, which hardly placed Picturephone
conference center use within the reach of "the masses".  I suspect
that offering Picturephone Centers was merely a face-saving effort on
the part of the Bell System to keep the Picturephone name "alive",
since it had obviously died as a customer station offering.  As
implied above, the Picturephone Centers offered no service which had
any resemblance to the proposed *switched* Picturephone service of the
1960's.

	The original switched station Picturephone concept was rather
clever, and so was the circuit design.  There were neither integrated
nor digital circuits in the original Picturephone design, and the
resultant size and performance did indeed represent a significant
design achievement.

	Incidentaly, having once been directly involved in the
telephone industry, and having known many people at AT&T, Bell Labs
and the Bell System operating companies, I have tried, tried, and
tried over the years to get my hands on a surplus Picturephone station
instrument - with no success.  A significant amount of Picturephone
apparatus - ranging from Picturephone station sets to CO line
repeaters to special KTU's to 5-line keysets with *pink-colored* keys
for Picturephone-equipped lines - was manufactured in the, ahem,
"anticipation" of sales which never materialized.  All of this
apparatus seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth; it has
either been quietly scrapped over the years, or now resides in a
super-secret storage location, perhaps presided over by Elvis Presley.
:-)

	I would be most curious to know if any other Telecom readers
have ever managed to lay their hands on any surplus Picturephone
apparatus.  I have known a few Bell Labs employees who were ham radio
operators and had real motivation to obtain surplus Picturephone
apparatus for amateur television purposes - but even they were
unsuccessful in their efforts.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

[Moderator's Note: When I said '*the* picturephone center' I did not mean
there was only one everywhere; I meant only one in Chicago. For a few years
in the early seventies, there were maybe a couple dozen customers with
picturephone service here. IBT had a little booth set up in the lobby where
the public could go to call the relatively few people who had the service;
mostly businesses used the service to display their wares.  PT]

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (10/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0443m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, kitty!larry@uunet.uu.
net (Larry Lippman) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0436m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> the Telecom Moderator
> writes:

> > Apartment building front door 'enterphone service' provided by
> > Illinois Bell (a CO-based service) also uses panel phones, but with
> > armored handsets instead of the old kind which retracted back into the wall
> 	With the advent of divestiture and related changes in the way
> BOC's operate, I suspect that ADAS may be no longer offered for new
> installations, although I could be wrong.  I haven't seen an ADAS
> installation in a good many years.

My parents have a condo in Bethesda, Maryland (a Washington, DC
suburb) in which ADAS was installed during the last year.  At the same
time it was installed, they were offered equal access, call-waiting,
and several other custom-calling features.  From the sound of things,
I think they had number 5 crossbar switching until the time of great
changes.  It now sounds more like 5ESS.  (Does anybody know for sure?
It's 301-229 for the curious.)

This may mean that the 5ESS supports ADAS.  It may also be a CPE-based
version of the same service.  Perhaps the armored panel phone in the
foyer detects the touch tone from the resident's set and unlocks the
door?  I don't remember seeing any brand name on the set.

When I visit, the directions on the phone tell me to dial # and their
appartment number.  When I lift the handset, there is no battery or
sound in the receiver.  When I enter the #, I hear what sounds like CO
dialtone.  I then enter their three-digit appartment number, and hear
the three touch-tones in the receiver.  As soon as I have entered
three digirts, the phone dials their 7-digit number, using
pulse-dialing (I hear the pulses in the handset).  The microphone is
dead (i.e. no side-tone) until after dialing is complete, but is
enabled during ringing.

When they answer, they dial 9 to admit me.  I hear the first few tens
of milliseconds of their tone signal, and then silence.  About 500
msec later, the entry door goes "thunk-buzzzzzz" and I am given
access.

Does anyone recognize this system?

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave