[comp.dcom.telecom] Questions About Teleports

georgep@uunet.uu.net (George_Paul) (10/14/89)

Could someone please help me with information on Teleports.  What
relationship do they have to networks?  Why should they be used?  Are
they useful?

76703.407@compuserve.com (HamNet) (10/15/89)

George_Paul <munnari!agsm.oz.au!georgep@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>Could someone please help me with information on Teleports.  What
>relationship do they have to networks?  Why should they be used?  Are
>they useful?

Teleports offer alternative local access connections.  Two major
examples are Teleport-New York (TCNY) and Teleport-Boston (TCB), both
members of the Teleport Communications Group (TCG).  In both cases,
fiber optic local loop networks have been constructed in New York and
Boston which provide alternatives to the local exchange companies (New
York Telephone and New England Telephone in these cases - both NYNEX
companies).  The TCG companies offer DS-0 (56/64 kbps), DS-1 (1.544
mbps) and DS-3 (45 mbps) services on their fiber systems serving
business customers.

Scott Loftesness
76703.407@CompuServe.COM

jeh%sdcsvax@ucsd.edu (10/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0447m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, munnari!agsm.oz.au!
georgep@uunet.uu.net (George_Paul) writes:
> Could someone please help me with information on Teleports.  What
> relationship do they have to networks?  Why should they be used?  Are
> they useful?

Teleports are useful, but have their problems when the sending and
receiving stations are separated by large amounds of latitude,
longitude, or altitude, due to conservation of momentum and/or energy.
Systems which automatically compensate for these shifts are still
under development.

The definitive work on this subject is an essay by Larry Niven,
"Theory and Practice of Teleportation", reprinted in the _All The
Myriad Ways_ collection.

(Sorry, folks, I couldn't resist!  :-)

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh