[comp.dcom.telecom] Making a Line Busy

owens-christopher@YALE.EDU (Christopher Owens) (10/12/89)

I have a two-line residential installation in which calls hunt to the
second line if the first line is busy.  Periodically I want to force
all calls to the second line.  What is the correct way to make a line
busy?  I know that leaving the phone off the hook ties up CO equipment
and can cause a trouble flag to drop on the line.  Dialling some other
number and leaving both phones off hook seems like overkill.  Is there
any other way?

[Moderator's Note: Call forwarding would do the trick. Forward line one
to line two. Of course, unless you have unmeasured local service, you
will pay a unit each time a call is forwarded. Maybe it is worth it to
you.  PT]

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (10/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0446m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, owens-christopher@YALE.
EDU (Christopher Owens) writes:

> I have a two-line residential installation in which calls hunt to the
> second line if the first line is busy.  Periodically I want to force
> all calls to the second line.  What is the correct way to make a line
> busy? ...

There is a local number available in most central offices that is
always busy.  Here in NJ, we dial almost any prefix followed by 9970.
You could place a call to that number, and then leave your set
offhook.

There is a tariffed service available in NJ called hunting cut-off
controlled by customer.  With this service, you get a key switch at
your premises connected to an extra pair from the CO.  When you close
the switch, hunting is disabled.  (Don't know what it costs.)

I realize that what you want is not to disable hunting but to force it
on all calls.  Perhaps the telco has another service offering up its
sleeve?

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave