[comp.dcom.telecom] Telecommunications in Belgium - Part 2 - Numbering and dialing

af@sei.ucl.ac.be (Alain FONTAINE (Postmaster - NAD)) (10/06/89)

Belgium  is  a  small  but   heavily  populated  country  :  about  10e7
inhabitants for about 30000 square kilometers. The country is divided in
40  zones only.  Each  zone number  starts  with a  zero,  which may  be
considered as an access code (international is double zero).

Zone numbers include  either two or three digits,  including the leading
zero. The  following numbers are currently  in use : 010->016,  019, 02,
03, 041, 050->059, 060->069, 071, 080->087,  091. The two zones with two
digits are big zones, and numbers inside them have seven digits (spelled
xxx.xx.xx) ; the other zones are  smaller, and numbers there only have 6
digits (spelled  xx.xx.xx). There is  thus room  for n *  10e8 different
numbers (where n  is < 1, maybe  in the 0.7->0.9 range).  Zones 041, 071
and 091  are centered  on big  towns, and  could potentially  become big
ones some  day.    I suppose this  is the reason  why the  other numbers
starting with 04, 07  and 09 have not been used.  A pseudo-zone, 017, is
used to  access the cellular phone  system, which by the  way is unified
between Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg.

Special services, including various  specialized operators, DA, etc have
numbers starting  with a '1', and  are always dialed locally.  There are
the '100' and '101' national emergency numbers (resp. fire/ambulance and
police). All others  have 4 digits. For most services,  the second digit
is '2'  or '3',  depending on the  language you wish  to use  (French or
Dutch).

'Green numbers' (aka 800 for  you North Americans) start with either 11,
15 or 17, and  have six digits. They are always  dialed locally, and are
valid all over the country. Those starting with '11' are completely free
for the caller, while  for the others a single unit  is counted for each
call. Those number may give access  to a foreign subscriber (for example
11.00.10 is ATT in the US - no other US carrier on the list).

Rotary dials are standard 1 to 0. If letters have been used, that's very
long  ago  : the  telephone  that  used to  sit  in  my parent's  house,
installed  in the  early  50's,  did not  have  letters...  DTMF is  now
commonplace, and is (of course) free.  In some regions, the RTT did even
replace all instruments  when a new DTMF CO was  installed. This did not
happen everywhere, however. Customers who  wanted a DTMF telephone could
still ask for  the replacement and pay  a flat fee (this  was before one
could *buy* and install).

dik@boring.cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (10/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0435m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> af@sei.ucl.ac.be (Alain
FONTAINE (Postmaster - NAD)) writes:
 > Zone numbers include  either two or three digits,  including the leading
 > zero. The  following numbers are currently  in use : 010->016,  019, 02,
 > 03, 041, 050->059, 060->069, 071, 080->087,  091. The two zones with two
 > digits are big zones, and numbers inside them have seven digits (spelled
 > xxx.xx.xx) ; the other zones are  smaller, and numbers there only have 6
 > digits (spelled  xx.xx.xx). There is  thus room  for n *  10e8 different
 > numbers (where n  is < 1, maybe  in the 0.7->0.9 range).  Zones 041, 071
 > and 091  are centered  on big  towns, and  could potentially  become big
 > ones some  day.    I suppose this  is the reason  why the  other numbers
 > starting with 04, 07  and 09 have not been used.

This is an historical artifact.  Some (ten?) years ago all telephone
numbers in Belgium were changed.  Before that time a telephone number
consisted of a two digit area code (including leading zero) and a 6
digit local number, or a three digit area code plus a 5 digit local
number.  So a telephone number was always 8 digits including area
code.  This changed overnight throughout Belgium to a telephone number
of 9 digits including area code.  In most places the local number got
an additional digit.  The exceptions were the cities with area codes
(at that time) of 04, 07 and 09; there the area code was changed and
the local number unchanged.

 > Special services, including various  specialized operators, DA, etc have
 > numbers starting  with a '1', and  are always dialed locally.  There are
 > the '100' and '101' national emergency numbers (resp. fire/ambulance and
 > police). All others  have 4 digits. For most services,  the second digit
 > is '2'  or '3',  depending on the  language you wish  to use  (French or
 > Dutch).

When I was in Belgium this summer I checked it, but as far as I know
all special numbers are 3 digits starting with either 1 or 9.  I
remember something like 985 information in French and 995 information
in Dutch.  But I believe this is different for the different areas.
I.e. some areas do not have information in French, while others do not
have it in Dutch while a few in the German speaking part have also
German numbers.

 > Rotary dials are standard 1 to 0. If letters have been used, that's very
 > long  ago  : the  telephone  that  used to  sit  in  my parent's  house,
 > installed  in the  early  50's,  did not  have  letters...

Like most places in Europe letters were not used very much.  I
remember a Belgian telephone that had the French layout for letters
(that was some 30 years ago), but these letters were never used.  The
only reason was probably that the telephone was French made.  (The
French layout is similar to USA/UK layout, except for the position of
letter O, which was, together with Q and Z, positioned with digit 0.)

dik t. winter,
cwi, amsterdam, nederland INTERNET : dik@cwi.nl  BITNET/EARN: dik@mcvax

af@sei.ucl.ac.be (Alain FONTAINE (Postmaster - NAD)) (10/16/89)

On 9 Oct 89 16:03:46 GMT you said:

>This is an historical artifact.  Some (ten?) years ago all telephone
>numbers in Belgium were changed.  Before that time a telephone number
>consisted of a two digit area code (including leading zero) and a 6
>digit local number, or a three digit area code plus a 5 digit local
>number.  So a telephone number was always 8 digits including area
>code.  This changed overnight throughout Belgium to a telephone number
>of 9 digits including area code.  In most places the local number got
>an additional digit.  The exceptions were the cities with area codes
>(at that time) of 04, 07 and 09; there the area code was changed and
>the local number unchanged.

The historical note is correct (it was done nicely, if I remember
correctly).  And since then, no new area number has been attributed.
And I still believe that we could see a 04, 07 or 09 zone again some
day...

>When I was in Belgium this summer I checked it, but as far as I know
>all special numbers are 3 digits starting with either 1 or 9.  I
>remember something like 985 information in French and 995 information
>in Dutch.  But I believe this is different for the different areas.
>I.e. some areas do not have information in French, while others do not
>have it in Dutch while a few in the German speaking part have also
>German numbers.

Three digit numbers for special services were replaced on October 30,
1987 by the new numbers I described, all over the country. It may be
that the 995 (French) and 975 (Dutch) for information did remain as
aliases for those poor stangers who come in Belgium once in a while,
and insist on relying on their old notes instead of getting up to date
information from, say, a telephone directory. Is that not nice of us???
There is no technical reason to explain the fact that service is
not available in any language all over the country : pure politics: _(.

>Like most places in Europe letters were not used very much.  I
>remember a Belgian telephone that had the French layout for letters
>(that was some 30 years ago), but these letters were never used.  The
>only reason was probably that the telephone was French made.  (The
>French layout is similar to USA/UK layout, except for the position of
>letter O, which was, together with Q and Z, positioned with digit 0.)

The letters have been used much more in France. When, in the early
sixties, we were listening to some French radio stations, we always
heard telephone numbers (in Paris) starting with three letters
(exchange name) and then, uh, four digits.

 /AF

[Moderator's Note: My favorite Paris exchange was 'OPEra'.    PT]