[comp.dcom.telecom] Wrong Number

zellich@stl-07sima.army.mil (Rich Zellich) (10/10/89)

There was an odd letter in the letters-to-the-editor in the St. Louis
Post- Dispatch last weekend: A writer from Australia was asking
*anyone* locally to help some poor woman who was worried about her
water being cut off by the utility company.

It seems that he answered the phone and the caller was some woman who
was worried about her water being cut off because of a billing
problem; he told her she must have a wrong number, she read off his
number, he asked where she was calling from, she hesitated and then
said "St. Louis" and hung up.

Worried that she might actually have her water cut off, he wrote the
letter to the St. Louis newspaper in an attempt to help.

The Post-Dispatch people did just enough checking to find that the
number in question was an East-side (Illinois, that is; East side of
the Mississippi to us St. Louisians) number in area code 618.
Apparently the woman should have dialed 1-618-xxx-yyyy and instead
somehow dialed 011-61-8-xxx-yyyy to reach a valid number in Australia.

Sometimes you *can* get an overseas number without a lot of hassle!

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/13/89)

61 is the Australia country code, and 8 is the city code for
Adelaide.  In taking some notes from a recent New York Times
Magazine, I had to catch myself confusing 61_2 (city code is
that of Sydney) with area 612 in Minnesota, where I have been
to this year.

goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (10/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0445m10@vector.dallas.tx.us> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB)
writes:

>61 is the Australia country code, and 8 is the city code for
>Adelaide.  In taking some notes from a recent New York Times
>Magazine, I had to catch myself confusing 61_2 (city code is
>that of Sydney) with area 612 in Minnesota, where I have been
>to this year.

This seems to be not-uncommon practice for Australian firms.  I've
seen some ads for various other Australian companies where the same
thing was done: the country code and city code are run together and
displayed inside parentheses.  For example, (617) xxx xxxx.  This is
*extremely* misleading for North American readers, who are used to
North American numbers in exactly the same format, but where the
3-digits-inside-parens refers to the area code.  (In particular, the
above example parses out to a number in the Boston vicinity.)

Readers will naturally assume that the number in the ad (which being
placed in a US magazine was obviously intended for a US audience)
refers to a US office of the company.  Of course, such companies are
getting exactly what they deserve: less business because potential
customers can't reach them.  This will continue until they list their
numbers according to internationally accepted standards: +61 7 xxx
xxxx, for example.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA