[comp.dcom.telecom] Noise Problems from "Metering Pulses" in European and Asian Countries

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (10/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0448m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> H.Shrikumar{shri@ncst.in}
writes:

> >> ... The usual system of billing
> >> calls elsewhere is with "metering pulses". Each pulse is worth so much
> >> money. On a local call, the pulses go by very slowly and on an
> >> international call the pulses come rapid-fire.

> In India too, where we have these metering pulses, most places dont
> not get itemized billing. However, the new electronic exchanges that
> are now being set up provide metering pulses only as a sort as
> "backward compatibility" to the local exchanges that demand it.

> BTW, these metering pulses cause havoc with dial-up data-comm. They
> are audible right through the subscribes phone set. We have spent a
> good amount of time with various combinations of modems and metering
> pulse rates.

	Metering pulses generated by central office apparatus in
various European and Asian countries may be a problem for data
communication users.

	There are different metering pulse schemes in use throughout
the world, but I believe the most common method uses simplex pulses of
50 Hz AC.  Using a repeating coil in a trunk circuit, 50 Hz is pulsed
through a single primary winding.  There are two secondary windings,
one of which is placed in series with the tip side of the line, and
the other is placed in series with the ring side of the line.  The
secondary windings are arranged so that their phases are *opposed*,
which means that no 50 Hz tone will be audible in the station
instrument.

	The meter is an electromechanical counter which is sensitive
to 50 Hz signals, and is connected with one side to ground, and the
other side connected to BOTH tip and ring using two series capacitors.
While the meter is located in the central office, the system is
intended that "private meters" can be used at subscriber premises.

	The effective method of signaling as described above is
simplex.  However, the inaudibility of the 50 Hz metering pulse is
only as good as the longitudinal balance of the cable plant.  Cable
plant in poor condition, especially that which may be subject to
effects of moisture will result in a longitudinal imbalance, thereby
increasing the detected level of these metering pulses.

	An appropriately designed impedance network located at the
station may be used to correct for longitudinal imbalance of the cable
plant and thereby reduce the level of the metering pulse.  I have an
off-the-wall suggestion for such a crude, but perhaps effective
balance network.  Obtain a 2,500 ohm wirewound potentiometer and two
0.22 uF non-polarized capacitors rated for 200 WVDC.  Connect the
wiper arm of the potentiometer to a GOOD earth ground.  Connect the
tip side of the telephone line to one side of the potentiometer using
the first 0.22 uF series capacitor; connect the ring side of the
telephone line to the other side of the potentiometer using the second
0.22 uF capacitor.  Adjust the potentiometer for minimum audible level
of the metering pulses.

	While I have not had firsthand experience with metering pulses
in the U.S. (where they are not used), I did acquire some knowledge of
the topic back in 1977 when I was involved with a project for the
government of Egypt.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"